Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
karlthorne  
#1 Posted : 17 May 2018 14:12:31(UTC)
karlthorne

Hi,

Currently sitting Nebosh and my tutor commented that an easy thing to pick up on during an audit of a site is the Poster correctly filled in, ensuring the boxes have the Safety Reps or RoES details listed and NOT the line manager or other management name and that the 2nd box has the appointed HS person.

I run a multi user site and run in to a bit of conflict with several site users posters as they do not list the TU Safety Rep or elected RoES. Senior managers  are arguing that the HS advisor is the safety rep or that they are the self appointed safety rep. Now this is not a question about filling in the boxes being optional, but if they are filled that the info is correct. 

From my understanding the point of the poster is to direct staff to a safety reps to ask questions without fear of intimidation or peer pressure of a manager.

where can I find the written guidence that clearly details what I have been told by tutor that if a name is to be in the first boxes it should be a TU safety Rep or an  elected RoES?

many thanks

achrn  
#2 Posted : 17 May 2018 15:09:40(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: karlthorne Go to Quoted Post

where can I find the written guidence that clearly details what I have been told by tutor that if a name is to be in the first boxes it should be a TU safety Rep or an  elected RoES?

and if you're not unionised and don't have elected representatives?  
Kate  
#3 Posted : 17 May 2018 15:20:30(UTC)
Kate

I have often corrected people who have referred to me as the "safety rep".  This is down to a common misunderstanding of what a safety rep is and to correct that I think the only evidence you need is the relevant consultation regs which define the term "representative".

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/05/2018(UTC), karlthorne on 18/05/2018(UTC)
stuart46  
#4 Posted : 17 May 2018 15:41:40(UTC)
stuart46

As far as I am aware the requirement for the boxes to be completed was removed some time ago. If you have a need to put a contact in there surely it doesn't matter who it is as long as it guides you to relevant H&S advice or guidance on how to deal with your issue within the company. Each company would be different.

thanks 1 user thanked stuart46 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/05/2018(UTC)
HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 18 May 2018 07:46:11(UTC)
HSSnail

Stuart is correct - the HSE removed the mandatory requirement to fill these box's when the latest poster was produced - its up to you to decide how best they work for you now.

Ian Bell2  
#6 Posted : 18 May 2018 09:44:12(UTC)
Ian Bell2

I don't usually bother to comment on auditing type questions or general safety management issues. But really, if IOSH tutors are passing on audit tips to identify h&s law poster not being filled in correctly ... surely there are bigger issues coming out of audits?? Quite pleased I no longer get involved with this side of h&s.
thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
webstar on 18/05/2018(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2018 10:16:12(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

As as already been stated, the mandatory requirement to fill in these boxes on the law poster was removed by the HSE many years ago.  By way of confirmation, the below is taken directly from the HSE's website.

“If you employ anyone, you must display the health and safety law poster[1], or provide each worker with a copy of the equivalent pocket card. You must display the poster where your workers can easily read it.  The poster outlines British health and safety laws and includes a straightforward list that tells workers what they and their employers need to do. You can also add details of any employee safety representatives or health and safety contacts if you wish to do so”.

If a NEBOSH tutor is saying that completing the boxes is a legal or even a strict requirement, they're wrong, it's as simple as that (and in fact this is so basic that his/her ability to teach the subject has to be questionable)

thanks 1 user thanked Elfin Davy 09 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/05/2018(UTC)
karlthorne  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2018 15:52:16(UTC)
karlthorne

Originally Posted by: karlthorne Go to Quoted Post

Now this is not a question about filling in the boxes being optional, but if they are filled that the info is correct. 

Thanks for all the answers, however I did state the question was not about if the boxes MUST be filled in but if they are filled the infomation should be correct.... 

if it left blank then fine ...but if its filled in and they have put a name that is not Safety Rep or REoS thats the bit I'm concerned with. I think the advice about consultation regs definition of "representative" is something I will read up on this weekend. As for my tutor advising the poster as a starting point I think there was more to his advice - ie if they cant get the info correct then they will not be aware of the need in law for a 'safety rep' or 'REoS' and  open up a a few options for questions etc....plus its usually the first thing you can see.

Again thanks to all for your comments - I am taking on all of your advice :)

karlthorne  
#9 Posted : 18 May 2018 15:56:50(UTC)
karlthorne

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post
and if you're not unionised and don't have elected representatives?  

We've been told to advise that a willing member of the workforce -preferable not managment should be made REoS and reviewed periodically