Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GB1977  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2018 09:33:28(UTC)
GB1977

Agora Publications who provide the H&S Adviser Online service spoke with a junior member of staff at my work and sent a trial copy through to her. They are now billing us for their service. I have held discussions with them stating that they have targeted a junior member of staff who is not authorised to make purchases and probably didn't fully understand what it was all about. They just throught it was a free newsletter they were getting. They have refused to cancel until we pay.

Anybody had dealing with them or anything similar?

Jackson43278  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2018 10:11:24(UTC)
Jackson43278

Not with them specifically but I have with similar practices. I've had companies phone up and make the barest of enquiries and then send an invoice through for works which weren't ordered. Presumably they work on the basis that the person they spoke to on the phone is both junior and remote from Accounts who then just pay the bill without thinking about it. In my case I am both phone answerer and accouts payer so it didn't work.

As an invoice is just an 'invitation to pay', dispute it in writing/email with them and then ignore it and let them rattle all the sabres they want until they get bored and move on. 

chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2018 10:44:35(UTC)
chris.packham

If they push you ask them to confirm the purchase order number against which you placed the order!

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 24/05/2018(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2018 10:52:20(UTC)
peter gotch

Did they offer a free trial?

https://www.agorabusiness.co.uk/health-and-safety-adviser/

Jackson43278  
#5 Posted : 23 May 2018 10:56:31(UTC)
Jackson43278

I think 1995 wants its website back as well. 😀

SBH  
#6 Posted : 23 May 2018 11:23:15(UTC)
SBH

Their documentation is not the best either

SBH

Elfin Davy 09  
#7 Posted : 23 May 2018 15:18:45(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

GB1977 - I didn't have something similar, I had something exactly the same, from exactly the same company, (although it was a few years ago now).  I spoke to them on several occasions and I argued with them on several occasions, but they still insisted that we had to pay for the newsletters they were sending (which I personally never saw). 

I then did as chris.packham has already suggested, and asked them to forward to me proof of purchase in the form of a copy of the signed order that had been placed with them (by a junior member of my team allegedly, who had actually moved on by the time this came to light).  Of course there wasn't one, and at that point (although they still weren't happy !) they finally gave in and stopped hassling me.

Don't give in to them would be my advice...

Hope this helps.

Steve e ashton  
#8 Posted : 23 May 2018 17:22:04(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Google reviews almost all entirely uncomplimentary for this outfit.. Don't think I have ever seen so many uniformly negative comments about any business!
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 23 May 2018 17:25:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

and then you read the authors biography - fellow of iosh!

Gets even more interesting when you click the various links including HR, Payroll,Tax & Benefits, Care, Dementia, Data Protection all with their named author

Edited by user 23 May 2018 22:46:59(UTC)  | Reason: more information

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 23 May 2018 17:25:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

Gets even more interesting when you click the various links including HR, Payroll,Tax & Benefits, Care, Dementia, Data Protection all with their named author

Edited by user 23 May 2018 22:46:59(UTC)  | Reason: more information

Hsquared14  
#11 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:10:43(UTC)
Hsquared14

I had something similar and they hadn't even spoken to any one but me and I had said no. They claimed that they had spoken to someone in my company who had agreed to it and I said well it wasn't me so I'd better get myself a good showbiz agent as I clearly had the world's one and only talking cat!!! I was at the time a sole trader and there was only me in the company! When I refused to pay things got very ugly and I had to get the police involved due to the abusive and threatening phone calls they made. Asking for the PO number (and a copy of it) is a good move but if this is really being run by someone who is an IOSH member surely that is against the code of conduct and a complaint can be made against them via IOSH. Bottom line is don't pay - challenge them to take it court - bet they won't because they won't have the proof that you owe them anything.
Hsquared14  
#12 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:20:07(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

But have you also seen that the company is actually owned by a German company - following this link from Agora gets you here:  https://www.vnrag.de/