Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Phil Chitty  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2018 09:38:15(UTC)
Phil Chitty

Good morning all. I need advice and opinion on a RIDDOR matter. 

I have a member of staff who recently got a peice of debris in his eye when working outside our offices. The debris was not work related and blew into his eye due to the wind being high that day. 

As a result of this he has been off work for over 7 days with a badly infected eye. 

I contacted him to discuss details for the F2508 and he informed me that he had been back to hospital that day and the key issue with his eye was an absess which may or may not have been in existence since before the incident. 

I need opinion please. How does this fit into the reporting requirements of RIDDOR? 

Do I report or not. 

Many thanks

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2018 10:00:20(UTC)
RayRapp

Phil, I do not believe the cause of the injury was strictly work related although he was carrying out a work activity - hence not RIDDOR reportable in my book.

Elfin Davy 09  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2018 10:28:00(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

I agree with RayRapp

To be RIDDOR reportable, the work activity itself must contribute to the accident to make it strictly "work related".  The fact that something (unrelated to work) simply blew into his eye could be considered more an "Act of God" in the first instance, and given that it has also since transpired that the incident itself may not even have been the root cause of his absence leads me to the conclusion that it's not work related, and therefore not reportable.

Edited by user 24 May 2018 10:29:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Phil Chitty  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2018 10:41:07(UTC)
Phil Chitty

Thank you both very much. 

The advice is really appreciated. 

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 24 May 2018 11:28:31(UTC)
Hsquared14

I agree with the other guys - if the foreign body didn't arise from the work then the injury isn't work related.  To give you another example - when I worked in a chemical factory we had someone get a chemical in their eye, we sent him to the eye hospital in Birmingham to be sure he was OK,  they put some drops in his eyes to which he was incredibly allergic.  Off work for 3 months while his eyes recovered - not RIDDOR because the issue was caused by the eye drops not the chemical.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 24/05/2018(UTC)
Smith24356  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2018 12:39:29(UTC)
Smith24356

Hi Everyone, I have another quandry about RIDDOR and complications. The injured person got a friction burn from a machine conveyor belt and returned to work. It got angry a few days later and became infected, had to have antibiotics by IV drip and time off. RIDDOR or not?

Elfin Davy 09  
#7 Posted : 16 July 2018 12:58:14(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Assuming they were off work for more than 7 days, then yes, it's RIDDOR reportable because the connection with work applies in this case.

fairlieg  
#8 Posted : 16 July 2018 13:07:38(UTC)
fairlieg

Originally Posted by: Smith24356 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Everyone, I have another quandry about RIDDOR and complications. The injured person got a friction burn from a machine conveyor belt and returned to work. It got angry a few days later and became infected, had to have antibiotics by IV drip and time off. RIDDOR or not?

I am going to be awfully contrivertial and say no

The injury was not a prescribed injury nor an over 7 day injury (as described above)

The infection (unless they work with or are exposed to biological agents as part of the work activity) was not work related.  Had the infection not occured would it be likley that the IP would have taken more than 7 days off work?

thanks 1 user thanked fairlieg for this useful post.
Smith24356 on 20/07/2018(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#9 Posted : 17 July 2018 08:04:25(UTC)
Hsquared14

Not RIDDOR - unless the debris was generated by the work activity and the work activity caused it to go in his eye.  Let me give you a real example - worker gets paint in his eye from a splash when opening a tin.  We wash out the eye and send him to hospital - they put drops in his eye and he has a severe allergic reaction resulting in him being in hospital for two weeks and off work 3 month.  I checked that one with the HSE and they said NOT RIDDOR.

Edited by user 17 July 2018 12:43:57(UTC)  | Reason: I hadn't realised I'd already responded once!

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
Smith24356 on 20/07/2018(UTC)
hilary  
#10 Posted : 17 July 2018 11:53:01(UTC)
hilary

The eye - not RIDDOR

The abrasion - yes RIDDOR, but for the abrasion he would not have had the infection - one is a direct result of the other which was an accident arising out of a working activity.

fairlieg  
#11 Posted : 17 July 2018 13:03:10(UTC)
fairlieg

Originally Posted by: hilary Go to Quoted Post

The abrasion - yes RIDDOR, but for the abrasion he would not have had the infection - one is a direct result of the other which was an accident arising out of a working activity.

The feedback I got from the HSE for an almost identical injury (knee abrasion) was that the infection that caused the lost time had nothing to do with the way the work was organised, carried out or supervised; any machinery, plant, substances or equipment used for work; and the condition of the site or premises where the accident happened.  It was secondary so they were not interested but having said that, I have also phone up in the past 3 times one call after the other and got three different answers..... can't phone them anymore though

Smith24356  
#12 Posted : 20 July 2018 08:47:27(UTC)
Smith24356

Thanks for the guidance, it confirms what I thought. The aftercare of the injury may not have been as good as it could have been and the employer has little control over this aspect. In this case the IP returned to work and then took time off because of complications due to the infection some days later.