Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
linda xc  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2018 12:05:37(UTC)
linda xc

hi folks

Previously I had been on a Nestle site where they had signage with a snowflake on,  this changed colour when the temperature dropped.

Does any one know where I can source them from please?

Thanks in advance

Linda

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2018 12:22:23(UTC)
George_Young

A quick google came up with something like this

https://www.gsbhealthandsafetysigns.co.uk/ice-alert-sign/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0PL47aqe2wIVFYbVCh02OwYfEAkYASABEgKxk_D_BwE

and

https://icealert.eu/about-icealert/

seems a little exspensive 

Regards

George

Edited by user 24 May 2018 12:25:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2018 14:56:37(UTC)
A Kurdziel

We had these at my last place. They were ok except they only warn you of ice risk in certain areas eg near the gate house and on a site of any size there will be localised areas of ice.

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 24 May 2018 15:19:12(UTC)
Hsquared14

I can see though that it would be useful as a prompt to get the gritters out ie if the sign at the gatehouse shows ICE then grit the site.  Everybody here seems to wait until I am in to do it although they all know it needs to be done, a sign like that would empower them to get on and do it.

linda xc  
#5 Posted : 25 May 2018 13:18:35(UTC)
linda xc

thanks everyone.  you have pointed me in the right direction.  Once i knew the name i could then successfully google...

regrds

Linda

grim72  
#6 Posted : 25 May 2018 15:01:03(UTC)
grim72

Judging by the snowflake description it might be one of these ones? https://www.starsafetysigns.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3713&search=58092

Not convinced there's much risk of ice at the moment mind :-)

Messey  
#7 Posted : 26 May 2018 05:45:33(UTC)
Messey

Is there any evidence that these signs actually work in preventing accidents. My fear is that they lend support to the H&S 'nannying' of the workforce, which in turn fuels cynicism of other H&S messages 

I try to watch the BBC's Tomasz Schafemaker before I go to bed or the the lovely Carol Kirkwood in the morning to get a tip off about the weather. I get public transport to work. I am more than aware when it is cold, as its my ears that turn blue while I am waiting at the bus stop. My wife drives - and again, she may have to scrape ice off the windscreen which tells her it's a little nippy. In addition, our car (as is common now) has an ambient temperature thermometer on the dashboard which also bleeps at 3c as a back up warning.

I sometimes spend time outside at work. Again, my body tells me if its cold - or when inside, regular weather grumbles from people coming in the office from outside indicates inclement weather.

So my point, or rather questions are:

1) Who is the audience for this sign?

2) Why can they not work out themselves its cold?

3) Isn't this a case of stating the bleeding obvious, thereby feeding the ‘elf & safety’ attitude of some staff (especially when they find out how much the sign costs!!) -

4) Or am I missing a real need for these signs????

chris42  
#8 Posted : 26 May 2018 15:31:06(UTC)
chris42

I have to get one for my garden as they say KISS

he he he he he

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2145065

chris

grim72  
#9 Posted : 29 May 2018 15:05:08(UTC)
grim72

Must admit I agree with you Messey - if it looks cold and feels cold the likelhood is that it is in fact cold. Having said that there seems no limit to a growing number of individuals seemingly devoid of any notion of common sense or practicality. We seem to be living in a world where unless everything is highlighted in emojis on social media then people are clueless to what they should be doing. It's a scary world out there these days lol I guess the visual flashing snowflakes is the only way to get the message across to certain individuals?

andybz  
#10 Posted : 29 May 2018 16:18:05(UTC)
andybz

Micro-climates!

I very rarely have to remove frost from my car.  But a mile up the road my thermometer will be showing below zero.  The reason being I live very near the sea and park my car in a place that catches the early morning sun.

Of course no sign is ever going to be very effective, but I have seen these signs on a site I visit where a micro climate is very likely to occur.  The main road leading to the site is open and gets plenty of sun.  The site itself is shady and north facing, so may never thaw properly on colder days.  It seemed like a good reminder to me.

thanks 1 user thanked andybz for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 30/05/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2018 07:47:46(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As mentioned the aim of the sign is empower gatehouse staff so that they feel able to call out the on-call gritter.  If you wait until the FM bloke turns up or even the H&S person then it is too late. You need to get the grit down asap.  But be aware of the microclimate issue.

Edited by user 30 May 2018 07:48:36(UTC)  | Reason: words