Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bigmac  
#1 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:27:20(UTC)
ArturK

I would like ask you if any of you have experience of using saliva drug and alcohol test kits from www.ukdrugtesting.co.uk. We are thinking to use Saliva 6 in 1 Drug and Alcohol Testing Kit DSD-877 and/or 12 in 1 drug including alcohol saliva drug test kit DSD-8127.

Also if you could point out what I need to take into consideration before we will start random testing. I am aware to get their consent before they will be tested.

So far we:

- have alcohol and drug policy in employee handbook, given during induction on the first day of employment

- had presentation about alcohol and drugs in the workplace including reminder of alcohol and drug policy and possible consequences of not following it, signs of alcohol and drugs misuse, employer and employee responsibilities, alcohol and drug testing in the workplace when is necessary, relevant legislation.

I will appreciate any help from you guys.

fairlieg  
#2 Posted : 24 May 2018 08:52:29(UTC)
fairlieg

They are easy to use but do you have a confirmation test process in place and do the employees understand the process as this would  be different form the saliva test (urine usually)

you probably already have the following covered:

it wouldn't hurt to have a support/counciling service in place if you dont already (http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4387)

have you though about all the prescription drugs and foods that will give a not negative result and do employees understand that verification of their medication will be required (prescription drugs can be abused too).  How will you handle not negative tested employee while you seek confimation

how would you deal with not consenting to tests

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2018 11:32:44(UTC)
Hsquared14

Get yourself, your managers and team leaders on a testing course and chain of custody for evidence course.  Personnally I would row back a bit on the random testing to begin with and start with "just cause" testing where you suspect someone is under the influence.  That will give you a chance to get people used to the idea, give you time to get links to drugs counselling services etc in place and get people on side better with your plans.

zurek554  
#4 Posted : 25 May 2018 10:52:21(UTC)
zurek554

It is good that you have your policy in place, however is your policy sufficient and covers everything?

Few things to consider, apart from the intro, purpose, scope etc.:

-      Legal limits

o    are you going for driving limit with regards to alco or zero tolerance due to the working environment, etc.

-      Illegal substances (what you are testing for)

-      Dependency

o    do you have a programme to help employees if they come to you?

-      Medicines and prescription drugs

o    how they inform you about any changes to medication

o    do you check if medication was prescribed or it is over the counter

-      D&A testing procedure:

o    How do you test (saliva / urine sample / hair / breathalyser etc.)

o    When (after accident, randomly and, or suspicion)

-      Actions following tests results (most important)

o    Are you sending the results to the lab for confirmation (easier to defend a claim if someone was positive due to dietary reasons e.g. poppy seeds shows up as opiates incl. heroin

o    If answer to the above is yes then are you paying someone while awaiting the results?

I went through D&A awareness and testing procedures and been developing policies / procedures within the past few years and believe me, you need a comprehensive policy, good training and to follow the chain of custody as there will be different individuals that can easily claim.

I suggest you attend D&A awareness and testing training. Training costs are around £250(this will equip you with knowledge and necessary forms such as consent forms etc.), also from my experience I would not go with saliva tests. Urine samples + breathalyser are much better and cheaper option. We use alcomate 500 (in range of £500).

Look at some of the pros and cons:

-      Saliva tests quick and easy to carry out – samples vary £5-10 but if you like to carry out confirmation test you will pay up to £300;

-      Urine samples £5-10 – to send the samples to the lab it will cost up to £60 incl. postage – results up to 24h;

-      Saliva only detects drugs up to few days, while urine sample even up to a month (THC);

Please let me know if you need any guidance or help with procedures, equipment or anything else. 

thanks 1 user thanked zurek554 for this useful post.
ArturK on 25/05/2018(UTC)
johnmurray  
#5 Posted : 28 May 2018 07:35:14(UTC)
johnmurray

And how do you ensure that the urine sample is from the tested person.....many places insist on the sample being provided immediately and via a route that cannot be falsified, such as waiting outside the place for the sample container to be filled. Certainly, saying "take this home with you and pee in it there" isn't a good idea..

Then there is the provision of the medical information relating to prescription meds...security of the data/provision of confidential info to any tom-dick-harry...

Even in the current political climate, people have rights. And so does their related data.

chris42  
#6 Posted : 28 May 2018 08:59:22(UTC)
chris42

Additionally what are you going to do if an employee refuses

to tell your company what medication they are on? You can’t make them. 

You may have better luck persuading employees if you use an external company.

Also what will you do if you find someone, rehabilitate /sack ? The person in question is your best…Welder, draftsman, manager, gismo

operator, doodad maker or a director? Someone makes a mistake once deserve to lose their job, someone has their food /drink spiked deserve to lose their job, refuses to disclose their medication deserves to lose their job.

Organisations like network rail have a very strict policy on this which extends to their subcontractors.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 29 May 2018 08:48:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 29 May 2018 08:48:20(UTC)
Roundtuit

zurek554  
#9 Posted : 30 May 2018 08:31:01(UTC)
zurek554

johnmurray,

There is a procedure in place that you have to follow in order to ensure the sample is not tampered with, this procedure is explained to the worker prior to the tests. They are always able to get a witness.

In addition there is an indication of the temperature in case someone is trying to dilute or substitute the urine, then the activation key, cut off point reflecting true results etc.

This samples are made to FDA/CE standards and manufactured in facilities that are holding GMP certification, ISO9001, EN46001 and ISO13485 accreditation.

World is moving forward so bear that in mind there are ways to control the tests with minimum hassle and maximum efficiency.

Not sure what are your procedures but if someone is driving heavy machinery or any other vehicle you should ensure that person is “fit to work”. Surely you carry out post offer medical questionnaires?

If someone sign your D&A policy which clearly defines everything then you just follow the procedure. If someone is unhappy to do that, you may consider a disciplinary due to the nature of the working environment and risk to them and others who may be affected by their acts or omissions due to being under influence. We always give opportunity to staff to seek medical advice and, or counselling.

It’s all about how to you handle it.

Chris42, some of the answers as above, same with regards to the person that is got a problem - we will provide support.

We do have a comprehensive policy and that’s what you need to cover all the aspects you just questioned hence my previous reply.

fhunter  
#10 Posted : 30 May 2018 09:23:08(UTC)
fhunter

I used to use similar saliva kits and undertake the testing, there is a lot of normal medication that can trigger these. 

I have no issue with using the saliva test, although it doesnt detect as long as urine for the THC, remember the sole purpose for testing is to check if people are working under the influence. 

They are good but only a first indicator, in order to be used properly, you get an indication from the kit and you must send away to the Lab for a full assessment when you get a positive test. 

For alcohol, use a breathalyzer, ensuring it is correctly calibrated. 

I've found in my experience the power of the testing regime is not actually getting the positives on the tests but just the sheer presence of actually carrying them out. 

Also, I would always recommend before you start a program you sit down and work out what you will do with people when a positive is discovered. If you uncover and addiction, it is a health issue and I personally belive employers should offer assistance rather than dismissal in these type of circumstances.