Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David T  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2018 08:11:18(UTC)
David T

Dear all

I'm trying to introduce a system where we can demonstrate that staff have received, understood etc, our H&S Policy, but I'm having difficulty with some Senior staff who are saying its too hard to do this.

Does anyone have examples of court cases where the employer was fined for not carrying out this requirement?

Many thanks

DT

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2018 08:26:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

No, I don’t know of any cases and I am certain that there are none. Signing things off is not a legal requirement and you can only be prosecuted for failing to comply with a legal requirement.

Signing things off can be a pain and the issue usually boils down to the idea that if you sign off on something you become legally liable. This is not the case; signing off something can only be used to demonstrate that you have read something and can say you have understood it.  Even then this can be challenged in court. 

Getting people to sign things off does to a certain extent “close the loop” but the key thing you and your senior managers need to look at is why there is resistance to signing off documentation.

Azza  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2018 08:34:49(UTC)
Azza

I just usually read the policy to the employee(s) at induction and ensure they know the correct location.

I also communicate through meetings any changes.

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2018 08:37:45(UTC)
Hsquared14

No actual court cases so far as I know but what is so "hard" about it?  We have an employee handbook that includes the policy statement and a set of rules / summary of the arrangements put in place to secure H&S.  This is given to new starters during induction and included in the induction checklist for which they sign.  When I introduced this all existing employees were given a copy and I got a signed receipt of all but the odd one or two that slipped through the net.  I did the distribution by desk drop and kept a record of when the desk drop was done and which desks it was put on.  What is hard about that?

Edited by user 20 June 2018 08:38:23(UTC)  | Reason: fat finger syndrome!!