Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Monopoly  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2018 09:34:32(UTC)
Monopoly

I understand that if a non employee is on your site and has an accident resulting in hosptal treatment then this is reportable. 

Does the same apply for an employee, (even if it's not one of the specified injuries), if they have to stay in hospital for more than 24 hours? for example a cut to the leg requiring stitches - or does the 24 hour rule only apply when working in enclosed spaces? 

Thanks

thunderchild  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2018 13:08:55(UTC)
thunderchild

It does not matter what the circumstance, if an employee is admitted to hospital for more that 24 hours as a result of a work related injury its reportable.

HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2018 13:18:42(UTC)
HSSnail

Prior to 2013 i agree it was any stay in hospital for 24 hours, but the 2013 changes read as if its just from an accident in an enclosed splace.

chris42  
#4 Posted : 20 June 2018 13:27:18(UTC)
chris42

Yes I agree with Brian, in the 1995 regs it was , but not now unless it is due to being in an encloed space and you are taken to hospital for more than 24 hours. Or you have been scalped and need to go to hospital. 

Monopoly  
#5 Posted : 20 June 2018 14:15:36(UTC)
Monopoly

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

Yes I agree with Brian, in the 1995 regs it was , but not now unless it is due to being in an encloed space and you are taken to hospital for more than 24 hours. Or you have been scalped and need to go to hospital. 

So am I right in saying the following is reportable - an employee receives a cut through a work activity goes to A&E for a few stitches, and is sent home within within a few hours of turning up. 

chris42  
#6 Posted : 20 June 2018 14:24:29(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: Monopoly Go to Quoted Post

So am I right in saying the following is reportable - an employee receives a cut through a work activity goes to A&E for a few stitches, and is sent home within within a few hours of turning up. 

No not reportable even if in a confined space as they would have to be in hospital for more than 24 hours and scalped is your head so unless his brains are in his knee, not reportable.

It is reg 4 you need to look at.

Chris

HSSnail  
#7 Posted : 20 June 2018 14:25:15(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Monopoly Go to Quoted Post

NOT REPORTABLE! unless the injury prevents them doing their normal work for 7 days would be my interpritation of this event as described.

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
chris42 on 20/06/2018(UTC)
Monopoly  
#8 Posted : 20 June 2018 14:30:00(UTC)
Monopoly

of course yes , sorry mis read your posts. cheers