Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
J0L0  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2018 14:57:21(UTC)
J0L0

I am tryin to fing information about what are drug and alcohol failure rates within construction industry in the UK. Up to now I found information about surveys but not about what are the failure rates.

Is anybody has any information related to this, which can be shared?

Regards and thanks.

Waz  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2018 15:52:51(UTC)
Waz

Jolo

Its probably something that many don't want to share.  However, I have experienced the 'client' policies on D&A, the testing regime and how it impacts on the contractor/sub-contractor.

There are many issues that evolve around D&A testing in the workplace, the policy, and if it is supported by the Union (if adopted) and the route to testing e.g. 'just cause'.

The problem is the process itself - test - immediate response, if positive - banned from site.  However, a contractor I worked with stated that he had a 'duty of care' for one of his employees and helped him overcome his problem.  Even that was frought, as the gent in question denied taking drugs (apart from a prescription issue co-codamol) and only on 2nd 'B' sample when it was determined what the drug was (recreational) did he come clean (no pun intended).  His employer stuck by him and eventually, the organisation that I worked allowed said individual on site, as long as he reported with an auditable drug test within the last 72 hours.