Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris42  
#1 Posted : 11 July 2018 09:57:33(UTC)
chris42

Is it an absolute requirement for vehicle ( or any other I guess) fire extinguishers to have operation instructions in English? We have a situation where a service company are condemning 1 year old extinguishers because the operating instructions are not in English on the side of the extinguisher, but does have a pictogram of how to use it.

My research seems to indicate that BS5306-03 clause 10.2.2 says it “should be in English”. As the real BS is £119, I have just googled this and the sites seem to suggest this is a valid reason for condemning the extinguisher. But it is a year old and came with the new vehicle (foreign make).

This does not seem quite right as we are not out of the EU just yet, but the only info I can find is that it "should" be English in the BS. Has anyone else come across this? is it right they must be condemned? Wouldn’t the pictograms be sufficient. Or is this a company just out to make money by enforcing this.

Chris

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 11 July 2018 10:33:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

A lot of the EU regulations (and many of the directives) require information to be transmitted in the Market Language - from the Pressure Equipment Directive which would encompass portable fire extinguishers:

Manufacturers shall ensure that the pressure equipment or assemblies referred to in Article 4(1) and (2) is accompanied by instructions and safety information in accordance with points 3.3 and 3.4 of Annex I, in a language which can be easily understood by consumers and other users, as determined by the Member State concerned

The manufacturer and importer of the extinguisher were responsible for applying correct labelling

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
chris42 on 11/07/2018(UTC), chris42 on 11/07/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 July 2018 10:33:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

A lot of the EU regulations (and many of the directives) require information to be transmitted in the Market Language - from the Pressure Equipment Directive which would encompass portable fire extinguishers:

Manufacturers shall ensure that the pressure equipment or assemblies referred to in Article 4(1) and (2) is accompanied by instructions and safety information in accordance with points 3.3 and 3.4 of Annex I, in a language which can be easily understood by consumers and other users, as determined by the Member State concerned

The manufacturer and importer of the extinguisher were responsible for applying correct labelling

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
chris42 on 11/07/2018(UTC), chris42 on 11/07/2018(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2018 10:53:52(UTC)
Hsquared14

Surely all you need to do is get labels in English put on the extinguishers, unless there is something else wrong with them you don't need to scrap them.

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
chris42 on 16/07/2018(UTC)
MarkAAT  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2018 07:38:22(UTC)
MarkAAT

If the company are servicing to BS5306-3:2017 then they are absolutely right. I have been on sites before and had to contact site managers to let them know I have PFE in front of me that do not have instructions in English - I was in Norway at the time! However, our policy is to service in accordance with BS5306, so to keep every one singing off the same song sheet, we go with what it says.
thanks 1 user thanked MarkAAT for this useful post.
Messey  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2018 08:17:02(UTC)
Messey

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Surely all you need to do is get labels in English put on the extinguishers, unless there is something else wrong with them you don't need to scrap them.

I agree with Hsquared: Make your own labels up and add them next to the other text

The servicing company may well use and be commmitted to a BS related checklist - where you and your company are allowed to adopt common sense. And it does make sense for instructions in English, where its plain daft to scrap a perfectly acceptable extinguisher if you can 'repair' it for a few pence!!!

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.