Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Terry556  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2018 13:02:01(UTC)
Terry556

My question is Can I write lift plans for the HIAB which deliveres windows/door frames and glass units, which are on stillages to construction sites, as we work for the PC. We also use a glassboy with suction pads to fit the glass units to cut down on manual handling. Do I need to complete the 5 day AP course for the work that we do, as we use the PC's tower crane which is under their control. 

Kate  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2018 13:16:35(UTC)
Kate

Why wouldn't you be able to write lift plans - what is your concern?

The requirements for use of the PC's tower crane would be set by the PC in their own risk assessment and rules.

Terry556  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2018 16:40:47(UTC)
Terry556

Kate The PC has a lift plan and RAMS in place, my issue is that the PC won't accept the lift plans because I have not done the AP course
Kate  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2018 16:45:38(UTC)
Kate

Then I think you have answered your own questions!

The PC has overall responsibility for safety so it is up to them to set the requirements.

Woolf13  
#5 Posted : 13 August 2018 11:33:50(UTC)
Woolf13

Unfortunately I have not seen/heard of a shorter AP course than the five day. Maybe this is something the industry could look at for basic/generic lifts only. Until that happens any competent organisation will utilise the requirements of BS 7121 2016 series for their lift categorisation and procedures (and rightly so).

British Standards state:

"In many instances, a generic lift plan is suitable for basic lifts, provided that no additional hazards are identified on site.

However, all lifting operations should be planned to ensure that they are carried out safely and that all foreseeable risks are taken into account. Planning should be carried out by the appointed person who has the appropriate skills, knowledge, experience and training for the lift being undertaken. The outcome of the planning process should be a written lift plan which includes: risk assessments, method statements and supporting information, such as a schedule of lifts, drawings and photographs."

The PC will be requiring those responsible for planning lifts of any kind are AP trained for these reasons....it is a really good course, by the way and will benefit you and your company in the long run.

I hope that helps.

Blackburn31728  
#6 Posted : 13 August 2018 14:26:03(UTC)
Blackburn31728

You can use a generic lift plan but still need to be a AP to do it and its a 5 day course no ifs buts or maybes all lift plans are wrote by a AP weather generic or not

WatsonD  
#7 Posted : 13 August 2018 14:49:18(UTC)
WatsonD

Originally Posted by: Blackburn31728 Go to Quoted Post

You can use a generic lift plan but still need to be a AP to do it and its a 5 day course no ifs buts or maybes all lift plans are wrote by a AP weather generic or not

Rubbish. No law requiring this.

This course is a requirement for those carrying out the lifting operations, such as the crane operator and slinger.

However, as Kate says the PC set the requirements on the site. This would be in the contract, which is why you should read a contract before you sign it. You coud have argued this point prior to signing but not afterwards, sorry.

DaveBridle  
#8 Posted : 13 August 2018 15:08:42(UTC)
DaveBridle

Regulation 8 of The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 states:

(1) Every employer shall ensure that every lifting operation involving lifting equipment is —

(a) properly planned by a competent person;

(b) appropriately supervised; and

(c) carried out in a safe manner.

(2) In this regulation “lifting operation” means an operation concerned with the lifting or lowering of a load.

Therefore using BS 7121 as guidance and complying with Regulation 8 you will be able to produce a lift plan.  8.1(a) competent person would usually mean someone who is designated or the Appointed Person in this case.

LOLER 98 is a Statutory Instrument (SI 1998 No 2307) so is a law.

damian2701  
#9 Posted : 14 August 2018 11:12:34(UTC)
damian2701

Remember, where you are operating within the PC confines/demarcation/boundaries (its possible more than 1 PC can share the same site but under a separate contract) then a quick email/phone call to the site/contacts manager that you will be arriving with the said materials - driver only, with a sneaky intuition; the driver would not possess AP training - SIMPLE. I would envisage the PC would not be happy having additional lifting equipment on site, should the site already be furnished with such equipment. Usually, if you do not possess the correct credentials to coordinate the lift then I would assume you would contract the lift out to the PC. The key to a safe and successful lift boils down to the 4C Principles - consultation, communication, cooperation and coordination. Principles, the HSE advocates within CDM 2015.