Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
YJHR  
#1 Posted : 14 August 2018 13:26:55(UTC)
YJHR

Hi all, 

I have just started in a role whereby all accident and incidents forms are in paper form in a floor to ceiling cupboard dating back to 2001. I am hoping to digitise these forms, save them on a server and enter the information into a spreadsheet so that we can conduct year on year analysis. 

A member of the finance team has let me know that if we keep a digital copy, we must keep a paper copy - however in my previous roles this hasn't been the case. 

Especially with GDPR coming in to force, I was hoping you would know whether my system would be appropriate or not. 

If there was to be a fire or flood these paper copies could be lost forever so in my mind it is much better to have digital scans. 

All ideas very welcome!

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 14 August 2018 13:40:36(UTC)
A Kurdziel

When you say digitise do you mean take off the data from the forms and convert it into some form of readable database or do you just mean scan them as pdf?

I am not certain that I would actually bother, especially if all you are going to do is create a load of pdf files.  Why does finance want to retain the original paper forms? You must be aware that there is a three year limit for civil claims.   I had to do something similar years ago (data from 1999-2009) but at least we had been collecting the relevant details on a spreadsheet as we went along. How are the follow up actions (investigation and recommended corrective actions) recorded, dare I ask?

YJHR  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2018 13:45:50(UTC)
YJHR

Hi, 

I was going to create a database and keep scans of the incident forms as it allows a folder to be made for incidents to include accident forms, investigation reports, RIDDOR reports etc. for example using incident reference numbers for the file names. At present, forms are being saved as people's names on the server so it's difficult to identify which accidents/incidents are being recorded. 

I have seen on other forum posts about this that people intend to keep forms for the duration of someone's employment + 3 years. 

At the moment there are sparse investigations into certain accidents/incidents but not all, and these investigations aren't signed in any way - usually just a typed up word document. 

achrn  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2018 15:39:55(UTC)
achrn

What is the justification for keeping these records beyond the three years that's the civil claim limit and the RIDDOR requirement?

Waz  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2018 15:48:39(UTC)
Waz

GDPR in itself determines how 'personal data' is protected.  Personal Data is that data which can in itself help identify an individual.  So what is needed?

Organisations need to determine a definitive list of ‘personal data’ which they hold, how they hold it, how its secured, the reason for holding it and every other question you can conceivably think about.   

So there are 6 key elements and the reason for holding personal data relating to an incident is 'legal' - and you can hold it, secure its access and job done.

achrn  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2018 17:05:27(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Waz Go to Quoted Post

the reason for holding personal data relating to an incident is 'legal' - and you can hold it, secure its access and job done.

Well, that would be fine if statute required it or there was a risk of a civil claim, but there isn't.  So why hold it past the three years after which time there is no statutory requirement to hold it and no risk of legal claim?  You (as you identify) have to specify some reason for holding on to the data.  What is the reason for holding accident book entries record data past three years?

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 15 August 2018 08:02:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

and if the accident involved a chemical agent? We move from concerns of civil claim to possible as yet non manifest effect on long term health. Cancer in an individual rarely presents symptoms immediately it takes time which could be an extensive period - eg asbestosis - often way beyond a 3 year period from point of exposure
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 15 August 2018 08:02:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

and if the accident involved a chemical agent? We move from concerns of civil claim to possible as yet non manifest effect on long term health. Cancer in an individual rarely presents symptoms immediately it takes time which could be an extensive period - eg asbestosis - often way beyond a 3 year period from point of exposure