Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Matts1974  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2018 10:10:12(UTC)
Matts1974

I work for an organisation that is responsible for the management of a sheltered housing block. On the upper floors located at the end of each corridor are windows that also act as automatic smoke vents linked to the buildings communal fire alarm system. During the hot weather residents on the upper floors have been activating the smoke vents using the manual override controls.

My concern is that once activated the windows open fully creating a gap of over 500mm. The height from the floor to the window sill is only 600mm therefore there is a risk that someone could fall out of the window. The communal areas of the building are accessible to vistors that include children visting their grand parents. 

Whilst looking for alternative risk reducing solutions, for example guarding to the windows, I have instructed the scheme manager to restrict access to resident to the smoke control vents override system. 

This has resulted in the cry from residents that this is health and safety gone mad!!!!

The sheltered accommodation block is extremely well insulated and given the extreme temperatures that we have been experiencing temperature and air movement on the corridors has been an issue. I have tried to explain that simply opening windows when temperatures outside are in excess of 30 degrees can have little or no effect at reducing temperatures internally. 

Any advice or support please would be welcome. 

MS

Edited by user 11 August 2018 10:27:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rick448  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2018 10:30:22(UTC)
rick448

I'd agree there is definitely a foreseeable risk there, and I'd prefer the solution you have chosen to impelemt rahter than guarding the openings, which I assume is going to render these windows usless in an emergency situation (granted, these won't form part of your noemal escape route, but in certain conditions it may be they are an option)

I think the key to this is the communication of the measures, and trying to explain the risks rather than going down a more forma route relating to legislation. Even the most reticent people should understand that there is a clear risk of a child, or vulnerable person falling, and therefore tou want to prevent this happening. Anyone with children will understand this, and most adults can comprehend this if it is ut to them in a reasonable way surely.

Grant-H  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2018 12:33:38(UTC)
Grant-H

This may help your arguement.

Approved Document K (2013 Edition) Building Regulations 2010.

Section 3 outlines the  following:

In a building that may be used by children under five years of age during normal use, guarding should be constructed in accordance with both of the following:

a) To prevent children being held fast by the guarding: ensure that a 100mm sphere cannot pass through any openings in the guarding.

b) To prevent children from readily being able to climb the guarding: avoid horizontal rails.

Falls from windows at height are a well estabolished risk within the health service. So much so that it was rated as an NHS Never Event.

An actual case: http://press.hse.gov.uk/2016/nhs-trust-fined-following-patients-death/

Perhaps if you was to share this with residents they may be more respectful of your concerns.