Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shaun4000  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2018 09:20:38(UTC)
Shaun4000

Hi everyone, I’ve made a health and safety app that may be of use to you kind people. It is called the H&S Companion and can be found on the iOS App Store. It is free to download and use. https://itunes.apple.com...panion/id1409442846?mt=8 I hope it helps you out and is useful.
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2018 09:36:28(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Is this a scam?

Will I end up with strange things on my hard drive or a  network that will need to be rebuilt from scratch?

Shaun4000  
#3 Posted : 06 August 2018 09:48:55(UTC)
Shaun4000

Most definitely not. I am a Health And Safety Advisor with an interest in mobile app development and wanted to create something that would hopefully assist people. It’s currently only out for iPhone and iPad but hopefully will be released on Android soon-ish.
WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 06 August 2018 12:54:55(UTC)
WatsonD

I thought advertising products was against forum rules....

Elfin Davy 09  
#5 Posted : 06 August 2018 13:07:26(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

It was when the forums had Moderators.....

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2018 13:13:31(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: Elfin Davy 09 Go to Quoted Post

It was when the forums had Moderators.....

I remember those days - I got barred for letting someone know that Lidl had bookrests on sale in their middle isle for £5 when they had been quoted nearly £100 each to get some made!

Shaun4000  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2018 13:51:44(UTC)
Shaun4000

I thought it would be OK as it’s Health and Safety related and could assist people with Health and Safety. It is not for financial gain either as the app is free to download and use, which the forum rules state.

Edited by user 06 August 2018 13:55:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2018 14:25:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 06 August 2018 14:25:35(UTC)
Roundtuit

nic168  
#10 Posted : 09 August 2018 06:13:59(UTC)
nic168

Nice thought Shaun, I have a free spirited Apple product so will let you know how it goes. My main use for this is to show things to managers. while I attempt to convince them they need a safety management system.

I see the chaps at PNBSHEG have reviewed in the App store.

Nic 

Shaun4000  
#11 Posted : 09 August 2018 07:29:45(UTC)
Shaun4000

Hi Nic, Thanks for commenting. If I can help with anything just let me know. Just seen the kind words from PNBSHEG, I’m really happy they are finding it useful. Shaun
Shaun4000  
#12 Posted : 13 August 2018 08:07:32(UTC)
Shaun4000

Hi all, If anyone has tried the app, I hope you like it and it has come in useful. I’m going to roll out some updates soon, is there anything that you would like to see in it to make your jobs a little easier?
chris42  
#13 Posted : 13 August 2018 08:19:51(UTC)
chris42

“H&S companion” what exactly does it do ? ( for those of us that don’t have a fruity product). As a companion does it just say “there there” on a regular basis, or other positive reinforcements like “Who’s a Good H&S practitioner then, yes you are, yes you are” :o)​​​​​​​

Or does it do something useful, if so what? 

Chris

Shaun4000  
#14 Posted : 13 August 2018 09:39:31(UTC)
Shaun4000

Hi Chris, That does sound like a good idea but it does other things. There is a publications section where you can jump straight to a publication by clicking on a certain industry or topic. There is a section that covers the basics of COSHH, dos and don’ts, safety signs and symbols. There is a Who’s who section that gives a brief description of the Health and Safety big hitters and links to their websites. An accident reporting flow questionnaire, by answering yes or no to certain questions you can find out if an accident has to be reported, to who and what time frame. There is a policy builder where you fill in the blanks and a generic Health and Safety Policy is generated which can be exported and amended as you see fit. There is also a Risk Assessment section where the basics of a Risk Assessment are covered, the steps you should take and there is a template and example of a Risk Assessment. The app will eventually be developed for other devices such as Android. Shaun
thanks 1 user thanked Shaun4000 for this useful post.
chris42 on 13/08/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 15 August 2018 08:06:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post
Either the rules have changed or no one is bothered - there has been a marked lack of moderator involvement in recent months.
Roundtuit  
#16 Posted : 15 August 2018 08:06:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Originally Posted by: WatsonD Go to Quoted Post
Either the rules have changed or no one is bothered - there has been a marked lack of moderator involvement in recent months.
Shaun4000  
#17 Posted : 15 August 2018 08:22:32(UTC)
Shaun4000

It’s against the forum rules to advertise for financial gain. The app is free to download and use. If you have used it I hope you have found it helpful.

Edited by user 15 August 2018 08:24:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Roundtuit  
#18 Posted : 15 August 2018 09:07:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

Same sentiment expressed by many developers until they see a wide distribution at which point the app becomes monetised "upgrade for additional features" or a larger organisation seeing potential acquires it. Problem with all rules and regulations is they are constantly playing catch up with technology. And see earlier post I am not a fruit fan
Roundtuit  
#19 Posted : 15 August 2018 09:07:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

Same sentiment expressed by many developers until they see a wide distribution at which point the app becomes monetised "upgrade for additional features" or a larger organisation seeing potential acquires it. Problem with all rules and regulations is they are constantly playing catch up with technology. And see earlier post I am not a fruit fan
hilary  
#20 Posted : 15 August 2018 10:57:02(UTC)
hilary

Shaun4000

Its a great idea, thank you.  However, I am also not a fruity person.

Just to be the harbinger of doom, do you have professional indemnity insurance?  Let's say for example, someone downloads your app and the information is erroneous or ambiguous.  They follow this information and it results in an incident or accident.  Free or paid for you may find yourself liable.

peter gotch  
#21 Posted : 15 August 2018 11:42:58(UTC)
peter gotch

+ taking Hilary's comment one stage further, Shaun are you employed by someone and could they be liable for your product?

Shaun4000  
#22 Posted : 15 August 2018 14:20:59(UTC)
Shaun4000

Hi, thank you for the comment. In the about and information section of the app it clearly states that the app has been developed for guidance and anyone using the app cannot hold the app developer responsible for any decisions made by using the app and it is solely designed to assist personnel. None of the publications have been created by myself and the acknowledgments are all there. This is something that I did extensive research into and I’d say probably took as much time as developing the app itself. All the publications will be updated as and when they are updated by the publishers so there should not be any outdated information on there. I have recently left my last place of work and waiting to hear from my next potential employers. The app was released after leaving my last job. I did develop an analysis database program whilst at my last job and they took full ownership as I was working for themwhich is fine, it has helped people and my name is on the program so that’s always good. Regards
Roundtuit  
#23 Posted : 16 August 2018 08:25:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

So an app developed using materials generated by others - of course you have the consent of all the copyright holders to present their materials and/or links to those materials (a defence used by many a piracy site - we didn't upload merely gave a link). I would also question your disclaimer as it may not stand scrutiny under the Consumer Protection Act or the latter Consumer Rights Act which makes broader reference to digital material whether the item is purchased or merely consumed. For example you cannot directly exclude liability for death or injury.
Roundtuit  
#24 Posted : 16 August 2018 08:25:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

So an app developed using materials generated by others - of course you have the consent of all the copyright holders to present their materials and/or links to those materials (a defence used by many a piracy site - we didn't upload merely gave a link). I would also question your disclaimer as it may not stand scrutiny under the Consumer Protection Act or the latter Consumer Rights Act which makes broader reference to digital material whether the item is purchased or merely consumed. For example you cannot directly exclude liability for death or injury.
Kate  
#25 Posted : 16 August 2018 08:48:18(UTC)
Kate

I'm baffled by the level of criticism of this.  It seems overstated for something so harmless-sounding.

The provision of the kind of information outlined is no different from what you would find on many websites, and indeed often on this forum. 

Personally though I would prefer the version that Chris suggested!

thanks 3 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
AL58 on 16/08/2018(UTC), Shaun4000 on 16/08/2018(UTC), nic168 on 23/08/2018(UTC)
Shaun4000  
#26 Posted : 16 August 2018 08:50:10(UTC)
Shaun4000

Roundtuit, you can download the app and see there is more to it than that. Crown Copyright material, like those on the HSE website can be used as long as you acknowledge where the documents came from which comes under the open government licence. There are some links in it which are directed to the publishers websites so they still receive online traffic to view their work. I’m sensing some negativity which is fine, and expected but the reason I developed the app was to try and assist people and I know that it already has. It was trialled by many health and safety professionals before release and was changed many times before the final version went out. As it is a mobile application, you choose whether you would like to download it or not, if you do download it and aren’t a fan you can delete it. When the app is released for Android and non other “fruity” products I hope you will have a look at it. Regards.
AL58  
#27 Posted : 16 August 2018 13:43:51(UTC)
AL58

Shaun4000 I'm with Kate on this I'm totally baffled by the criticism of this . I think you deserve a pat on the back for spending your time & effort trying to find a way to help those of us that need help .Any one involved in safety should really have enough about them to realise that anything they take from your app to use should also be backed up by there own investigation of the facts before use . Thats just common Sense  surely

I cant wait for it to be on android as at the moment my old I phone doesnt have the latest update needed to run the app.

But reading the app info on the app store it does look like it will be a big help in guiding users to make the correct investigations of there own situation

I for one applaud your efforts

thanks 1 user thanked AL58 for this useful post.
Shaun4000 on 16/08/2018(UTC)
Shaun4000  
#28 Posted : 16 August 2018 14:57:32(UTC)
Shaun4000

Thank you AL58, I really appreicate that. In all it took around 8 months to make with around 2-3 hours every evening after the kids had gone to bed. I am currently working on getting it onto Android devices by Christmas but coding for Android is proving quite tricky but opening it up on more devices will hopefully assist more people and will all be worth it. So far it has had good feedback and lots of suggestions for new features which is great so by the time it is released on Android there should be some more great features on there to assist you. Regards.
SpaceNinja  
#29 Posted : 17 August 2018 18:44:12(UTC)
SpaceNinja

Is it any wonder H&S gets a bad name for itself and is seen as being stuck in its ways?

This is clearly a bit of a side project for Shaun, and one that should be encouraged - not called to be moderated. It's not a large corporate trying to extend the reach of its multi-million pound advertising budget, it's a guy trying to develop some new skills that could one day further the entire profession. We haven't even scratched the surface of how technology can improve Health & Safety so we shouldn't look to kill off any signs of new growth as soon as they appear.

I've not got an Apple device myself, but I'll certainly be downloading it when it comes to Android.

thanks 2 users thanked SpaceNinja for this useful post.
Shaun4000 on 17/08/2018(UTC), AL58 on 20/08/2018(UTC)
Shaun4000  
#30 Posted : 17 August 2018 18:55:06(UTC)
Shaun4000

Thank you SpaceNinja. The idea first came to me whilst looking for multiple publications and it was a little daunting for the amount of time I had to get the task I had done, I thought there must be an app for this and there wasn’t, that’s where the project began. I believe that technology can assist people further with H&S, it can be very stressful and demanding at times and if there is a way to make it more accessible then I would like to be a part of that. I’ve made steady progress with the Android version so hopefully will be with you soon.
A Kurdziel  
#31 Posted : 20 August 2018 08:55:46(UTC)
A Kurdziel

This looks like a kosher project: The original posting reeked of optimism and enthusiasm and on this forum that attracts suspicion!

This day and age it is too easy to click on to something that you will regret later. Is there any way for IOSH (which we pay for through our ever increasing subscriptions!) to validate such worthwhile projects and reassure us that we are not being lured into something.

Self and Hasty  
#32 Posted : 20 August 2018 12:26:04(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Downloaded it to have a look, it looks okay, basic and not information I couldn't find elsewhere online but I can see it's potential and it could be useful if I'm on a site visit with only my phone and wanted to easily check something whilst away from my computer.

Might be handy to have some WELs etc. limits tables that I couldn't see on my initial glance at the app? Specific limits on EVERYTHING is the thing I'm usually struggling to find and spend an excessive ammount of time searching for which this app might help with...

Maybe you could include CSDS for generic chemicals too? Though perhaps that's too specific?

It's definitely got potential, well done.

ADALE  
#33 Posted : 24 August 2018 05:46:50(UTC)
ADALE

I haven't looked at the app before posting this reply, and I whole heartedly agree with some of the above comments.

The H&S profession is littered with 'can't do' people, compliance and technical juggernauts of 'I know better than you' even if it's outside of H&S. I've had it on here many times - paid little attention to it.

Positive attitudes change cultures Shaun, I'm about to have a look on the appstore and will inbox you some feedback if I find my contribution worthy, as I've seen some on here already.

Anyone can put someone else or their work and more cynically their intention down. But people who care to pick up a book and look at influencing change will see that only builds resistance, not collaboration. 

Stuart Smiles  
#34 Posted : 28 August 2018 11:52:19(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

if it's on the apple store, it's been checked already for naughtyness, and as they are adept at looking for ways to break out of it and earn money, they also look for those things too. 

i also don't have iphone, however would welcome the idea of looking at it when it gets on an android device, in the mean time if there are pdf's screenshots then i'd look at them. 

thanks

stuart