Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Self and Hasty  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2018 16:29:04(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Hello, 

I'm currently trying to get out of a bad contract with a service provider that shall not be named, that we'll call 'Subinsular'... My argument is that the service is simply not fit for purpose for a business of our size that deals with the manufacture and import/export of medicines and dangerous goods.

One of the many points explored in my complaint was that the systems risk assessments do not go into any sufficient level of detail, e.g. they only allow 300characters per risk and there is no evaluation of the severity of risk.

The rep states; "It is now common practice in health and safety to steer away from scoring risk assessments as it is seen as being far too subjective"

Whilst I do understand the limitations of the severity matrix in its various forms I thought it was a HSE requirement to explore the severity? 

I was to understand that under COMAH it is a requirement to consider whether there is the minimum information present as required by Schedule 4 part 2 para 4 b, "assessment of the extent and severity of the consequences of identified major accidents".  HSG 190 at Para 324 states that for the assessment of the extent and severity, the range of scenarios considered must be representative and suitable for emergency planning. HSG 191 (Emergency Planning for Major Accidents) paragraph 75 explains Local Authority Emergency Planners require information, amongst other things on:

• The potential effects of the dangerous substances on people;
  • The possible consequences of a release of dangerous substances to people;
  • What events could give rise to a release;
  • What distances the substances will be dangerous to people;
  • What level of harm will the dangerous substances pose;
  • How likely and how potentially serious are the events.

The guidance says that this key information is required from the operator's safety report. The report must provide clear information on the impact of the potential major accident scenarios to satisfy the requirement of Schedule 4 part1 Para 4 of the regulations. 

If anybody could help clarify this for me it would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2018 16:37:28(UTC)
Kate

HSE certainly does require very detailed analysis including of severity (down to how many fatalities) on major accident hazards, which is what COMAH is about.  But is yours a COMAH site?

For low risk activities, HSE have sample risk assessments showing their expectations here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/casestudies/index.htm

These do indeed do away with ratings of any kind.

Self and Hasty  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2018 07:41:18(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

HSE certainly does require very detailed analysis including of severity (down to how many fatalities) on major accident hazards, which is what COMAH is about.  But is yours a COMAH site?

For low risk activities, HSE have sample risk assessments showing their expectations here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/casestudies/index.htm

These do indeed do away with ratings of any kind.

I'm not sure, we're not a huge petro-chemical plant, we're a small-medium (76employees) group of international trading companies, three sister companies and one subsidary spread over three sites, we manufacture, import and export dangerous goods (fuels) and medicines for MOD and emergency services, police, navy, army etc. all over the world.

We've had one serious life changing (explosive) incident three years ago that is still being investigated by the HSE. I don't think we are 'low risk' and think the simplicity of the service provided is too basic for our companies needs.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2018 08:03:10(UTC)
Kate

That is probably correct - you are neither a COMAH site, nor a low-risk one, but something in between.

As we have seen, HSE expectations of how elaborate a risk assessment is depend on the type of work being done.  You are somewhere in between the extremes and neither a COMAH-style safety report nor the HSE small business examples are likely to suit you.  That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the service you are being provided with, just that it isn't the right one for you.

Just to check though, you weren't saying you didn't know if you are COMAH or not, were you?

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2018 08:48:58(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I am assuming that your “service provider” are acting as your competent person?  If so what exactly is their role?

• Do they do your risk assessments? If so why are they competent to do them since you should really be the experts in this area?
  • Are they providing the risk assessment profromas? Is this a system they bought in or is it one they developed? One reason am I nervous about using a completely electronic type H&S management system is that one size does not fit all and it should be capable of being adapted to a specific user. You say yourself that you are not a typical company and you are handling an interesting range of substances.  You really require someone who understands the issues and can work with you to manage them
  • Where they brought in after the “incident”? Was it a bit of a knee jerk reaction after the HSE turned up on your doorstep?
  • Contractual issues are beyond my remit but usually there are break points when either sides can agree stop without suffering any penalties.  When is the next one due?   
Self and Hasty  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2018 09:07:49(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Sorry for the lack of clarity, no we're not a COMAH site, our quantities of Dangerous Goods in production, warehouse and import/export are well below the 10tonne threshold at any one time. 

But like I touched on we do have DG and MHRA controlled medicines and trade with big governement contracts worldwide. 

@kurdziel The contract with 'Subinsular' is very unclear, as part of my complaint I've asked for clarity on what it covers and what protection it affords and asked for clarity on responsibilities and culpability as at it stands it's very hazy.

They are competent to do risk assessments, well they claim their tick box system is sound. They don't carry out the risk assessments they provide the (insufficient) platform to fill in a basic template (limited to 300 characters per risk) or you can upload your risk assessments done in-house to their template, which begs the question what are they actually providing/doing!

Yes this outsourcing of H&S was definitely a knee jerk reaction from a panicked MD who is not H&S savvy who just wanted to be covered so rushed into a heavy contract which 18month later is clearly not suitable, yet we are stuck in the contract for another 18months.

There is no break or early termination clause, there are numerous complaints online about this particular companies dodgy contractual practices e.g. cancellation of contract must be in writing 6months before or else the contract is automatically renewed (often for full contact length, 1, 3, 5 years!) aswell as their poor customer service and high pressure sales tactics.

andybz  
#7 Posted : 17 August 2018 09:12:24(UTC)
andybz

You are required to demonstrate that risks are As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP).  I doubt you will be able to do that in all cases with a 300 character limit.  So how is your service provider planning to do this?

It is totally stupid to allow a software tool to compromise how you manage your risks.  However, the service provider may be supplying what you asked for originally, so you may have a commercial struggle.  It is equally important that you are an intelligent customer, so you do really need to know what you need.  The service provider can offer advice, but you must specify your requirements and they can then decide if they are able to satisfy them or not.  Arguing about how severity of risk is covered is probably not addressing the fundamental issues.

chris.packham  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2018 09:21:53(UTC)
chris.packham

Do they actually go on site and study the procedures to assess what exposures do - or might occur - or is this simply a tick box exercise based solely on what is stated on the safety data sheet? I have come across the latter and had to tell the client that he had no valid risk assessments for what was happening on the shop floor.

In my experience risk assessment does not start with the safety data sheet. It is when a chemical is used for a task that the hazard occurs and this can be different for the same chemical when used for different tasks. So a risk assessment for chemicals has to start with the task.

Does the system cater for this?

What would be the consequences if the company was to experience a serious health issue? Would your contactor accept liability due to the inadequacy of their procedures? It might end up that you would have saved money by scrapping what you have now and putting a new system in place that is fit for purpose.

Chris

Self and Hasty  
#9 Posted : 17 August 2018 09:40:32(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Well, because the system is so clunky (not at all user friendly) it simply hasn't been utilised for the past 18months, they've brought me in to try and play catch up and get them up to standard, managed to scrape us through the ISO:9001:2015 Quality transition, and now working on 14001, whilst managing Health and Safety over four companies on three sites too.

We have had three site visits, H&S audits, in the past 18months so we have had some functionality from them, and we do have two days training in the bank with them which we'll be using for Fire Marshal training to comply with the fire risk assessment I wrote. 

One H&S guy I respect suggested I 'overuse' the service with them so we really get our monies worth and they might be more inclined to release us from the contract if we are costing them time and money.

We are backing up all our documents and doing all our risk assessments etc. in house now in anticipation that this contract will definitly end one way or the other (in 18 months if they wont budge, or before if possible)

I really don't know that the contractor would offer us the protection we would need in the event of another major incident, I suspect they could just wriggle out of it for non-compliance as we have some overdue tasks because the system hasn't been used properly.

Next communique I have with them I'm going to ask if they can extend the character limit to be fuller to cover the complex issues we face, if they claim the system was bespoke for our company then it should be adaptable right? we'll see! thanks for your help all.

James Robinson  
#10 Posted : 17 August 2018 10:24:28(UTC)
James Robinson

So, reading from afar......

You have purchased, hold a licence, have a contract, for a software package that does not help you satisfy what you consider to be your minimal legal requirements when it comes to managing risk.

A bit like me saying that I use "banana" software but it's not up to the job.

Change provider to a company that is of use, or as you elude to, start doing your own assessments..... i think a very sensible option.

As for the software that is not fit for use... go to legal department, purchase, etc. and tell them you want the contract terminating. Penalty clauses etc for a contract not your problem, but complinace is.

Not being negative, I do support your approach, and it seems you have just inherited a legacy contract for useless software.

chin up

James

thanks 2 users thanked James Robinson for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/08/2018(UTC), Kate on 17/08/2018(UTC)
peter gotch  
#11 Posted : 17 August 2018 10:49:33(UTC)
peter gotch

Self and Hasty, I'm with James on this.

You've identified that what this supplier is giving you is not fit for purpose as regards your risk assessments.

Do what the law requires - "suitable and sufficient" with documentation that helps you get the message over to those who do the relevant tasks.

On the basis of what you describe it would be very difficult to do this with a pre-determined word count, unless you can achieve mostly via graphics.

Leave the lawyers to sort out the contractual implications (though they will need support in demonstrating why the supplier is not delivering what you need).

Good luck.

Murdy18657  
#12 Posted : 17 August 2018 11:45:58(UTC)
Murdy18657

They need to meet their side of the contract.

If they can't provide suitable and sufficient competent advice then they arent providing the service you are paying for.

I went to one of their seminars.  Not impressed...

Self and Hasty  
#13 Posted : 17 August 2018 12:06:01(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Had I been at the helm before the contract was taken out I would have never gone with them in the first place. I would have researched a lot, and if I didn't have the skills myself I would have gotten someone in who did, not outsourced something so vital as H&S.

(@Peter , There is no application of graphics unless it's just an uploaded document to the blank template, no intergration of documents. So really it's just a platform for me to upload my in-house documents, which really surves little to no purpose)

I'm sure that for a simple office based business with minimum low risks then the system would be sufficient for covering against litigation in the event of an accident. However I'm sure that the system is insufficient for our business, especially when it's not being used properly by anyone, because it's not user friendly let alone exploring it's limitations. 

I have a rep from the company coming to visit me next week to go over the contract and the complaint in more detail, so please keep your suggestions and advice coming so I'm armed with decent peer responses when it comes time to do battle!

Again thanks.

Kate  
#14 Posted : 17 August 2018 12:45:23(UTC)
Kate

If you are going to negotiate with the provider, then you need to be clear in your own mind about what you want to achieve, whether it is an improvement to the service (and if so what that would be like) or to get out of the contract.

From what you've described, I don't see any point in the service but ultimately it is your responsibility as a customer not to sign up to pointless services. It seems that a mistake has been made in this case and the best thing may simply be to accept that and get out of it with the minimum cost.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 20/08/2018(UTC)
peter gotch  
#15 Posted : 17 August 2018 12:46:27(UTC)
peter gotch

You could start by asking the rep what their evidence base is for the statement:

"It is now common practice in health and safety to steer away from scoring risk assessments as it is seen as being far too subjective"

ditto why they don't think that an assessment of severity might be required as part of any assessment.

Does the rep have any experience as a health and safety professional or are they essentially just a salesperson?

In my experience it is common practice in health and safety both to score and to include an element of severity in the computation. There are many issues to be addressed in many systems used for risk assessment, but some form of prioritisation is usually helpful whilst if there is no assessment of likely/reasonably foreseeable or whatever severity is fairly essential, even if it's only the gut feeling when you are doing an assessment in your head!

This posting is not appropriate for an erudite debate on e.g. the shortcomings of many e.g. numeric risk matrix assessment processes, since the basis of the question is at another level entirely!

Edited by user 17 August 2018 12:48:06(UTC)  | Reason: Moved some words into more logical position

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#16 Posted : 17 August 2018 12:57:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The only legal requirement for risk assessment is that it is “suitable and sufficient”. Suitable in the sense that it identifies and deals with the relevant issues (ie the hazards) and  sufficient  in that it  goes into enough depth for you to be able to establish what the risks are and what sort of controls should be established to manage them. It is not about filling tick boxes or creating pretty coloured RED-AMBER-GREEN matrices.  Does the system as supplied by the company do this? Did they offer to do this when they pitched for the contract? If not they are failing and should either go or offer to create a system that actually delivers what you need.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Steve e ashton  
#17 Posted : 19 August 2018 15:11:43(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Elf and Hasty (like the name by the way!!) - I think the consultancy have been very careful in their response - they do not say that severity need not be considered - they suggest that 'scoring' risks is no longer seen as central to the risk assessment... In this I think I agree with them.  Far too often, the use of a numerical matrices - assigning apparently objective numerical values to an inherently subjective judgement - results in the numbers carrying more weight than the opinion.  And since human nature dictates that many people will have a subjective opinion of just how bad a risk is, the rating values are routinely assigned to produce the result which the assessor feels is appropriate.  The move away from assigning quasi-mathematical rating systems allows the assessor to apply his/her honest and educated judgement. Fundamentally that is all that risk assessments are - the application of experience and knowledge to decide if the current situation is 'safe' and if not, is it 'safe enough' or does more need to be done. 

It is clearly facile to suggest that severity (potential consequence) should not be considered when assessing a risk.  Without such consideration, the risk of minor bruising faced by hundreds of people every day - is likely to be seen as a greater priority than the risk of accidental ignition of explosives that may wipe out the facility but could only happen once every hundred years... The frequency (likelihood / exposure / duration) of any hazard is imporant, but so too is the potential severity (consequence, outcome....).   

On the subject of 'one size fits all' consultancies - I have worked for two of them.  I felt morally and ethically compromised by a lot of the stuff I was employed to do for clients (and didn't last long with either of the jobs...).  The product is packaged and sold by sales people with little or no knowledge or understanding of health and safety, or of the client business.  All too often this results in the packaged services being unsuitable for the client.  The consultancy contract lawyers are well experienced in handling clients once the penny drops, but there are ways to break free.  Perhaps the easiest - as you have suggested - is to make more use of the services than the salesman envisaged.  If you become an unprofitable client because the consultants are spending more time and effort with you than was priced into the original contract, then the consultancy may be very happy to say goodbye.  It may be difficult to prove that the service offered is not 'fit for purpose' unless you can demonstrate very clearly (and with sufficient 'gravitas' or expert support) how it is failing.  The consultancies are generally well experienced in dealing with 'unhappy' customers, and may not willingly let go unless it becomes clear that holding on is damaging their interests as well as your own.

An arbitrary word count limit on describing anything in a database or spreadsheet is driven by old school IT systems rather than any pragmatic appraisal of what is required... The problem is that the limits remain even though no longer required or appropriate.  Computer Memory was simply too expensive so limits were applied.  These seem to have stuck even though most PCs can now store and process information orders of magnitude larger than those we were saddled with fifteen years ago... I am long enough in the tooth to recall designing a chem labelling manual that had to be partially read from one 7inch floppy, edited, then written immediately to another floppy to save the changes before opening the next partial segment.  The whole file ran to around 200kB - but that was over three times the space available in computer memory...  All the entries were heavily abbreviated! 

thanks 1 user thanked Steve e ashton for this useful post.
chris.packham  
#18 Posted : 20 August 2018 15:24:42(UTC)
chris.packham

In the risk assessment we need to take acount of both the probability of an adverse effect and the severity of this. In my area of work, for example, wet work, i.e. excessive exposure to water, is the major cause of occupational irritant contact dermatitis. Dimethyl mercury is far less likely to be used, so the probabilityof an adverse health effect is far less. However, because of the outcome (severity) I will contend that we need a far stricter control of exposure for dimethyl mercury that we do for wet work, where recovery is easy and there need be no long term effect. Of course, where the exposure to water could result in drowning then the consequences (severity) changes and dictates more stringent control measures.

Chris

chris.packham  
#19 Posted : 21 August 2018 15:51:09(UTC)
chris.packham

Rereading my post I realised that perhaps I should have mentioned when referring to dimethyl mercury, that around 1mg on the skin, if not removed instantly, can cause brain damage leading to death, as was the case with Prof. Wetterhahn.

Chris

Edited by user 21 August 2018 15:52:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified