Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
amroki  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2018 19:36:21(UTC)
amroki

Dears,

Please i want a reference that Risk Assessment has more comprehensive range more than Job Hazard Analysis, as risk assessment includes environmental aspect identification but JHA is not.

if no evidence found. could you please tell me which is better in use than the other in hazard identification.

Thanks

Kate  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2018 07:17:26(UTC)
Kate

Hi amroki

Risk assessment doesn't always include identification of environmental aspects.  It does if it is an environmental or a health, safety and environmental risk assessment but not if it is purely a health and safety risk assessment.

I'm using "environmental aspects" here in the technical sense of environmental hazards such as pollution.  Are you meaning it in this way or in the sense of "environmental health and safety hazards" such as slippery surfaces or noisy environments?  These would of course be included in a risk assessment.

In the HSE 5 steps method of risk assessment, hazard identification is the first stage and consists of listing all the hazards (slips, noise, etc.) before proceeding to analyse the work.  Job safety analysis takes the opposite approach of first listing the job steps and then analysing the hazards involved in each.  It could identify hazards such as slips if one of the job steps was "walk from here to there" over a slippery surface but is not well adapted to pick up that the whole area is noisy.

The 5 steps method is outlined here:  http://www.hse.gov.uk/risk/controlling-risks.htm

Edited by user 29 August 2018 07:19:12(UTC)  | Reason: spling