Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Green40245  
#1 Posted : 06 August 2018 10:13:37(UTC)
Green40245

If you have positive pressure face masks, is fit testing absolutely necessary?
fairlieg  
#2 Posted : 06 August 2018 10:41:09(UTC)
fairlieg

Take a look at Para 36

http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/ocs/200-299/282_28.pdf

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2018 08:39:37(UTC)
A Kurdziel

That advice is new and not widely reported in fact I have seen HSE documents that say that a face fit test is not required for positive pressure equipment.

Green40245  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2018 15:28:58(UTC)
Green40245

To be honest I have also, however I think the key is the terminology, I referred to masks and much of the guidance does state that FIT testing is required whereas hoods and helmets do not, I think that is where much of the confusion reigns.

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2018 09:09:11(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Green40245 Go to Quoted Post

To be honest I have also, however I think the key is the terminology, I referred to masks and much of the guidance does state that FIT testing is required whereas hoods and helmets do not, I think that is where much of the confusion reigns.

Me too! If you read through all of “Respiratory protective equipment at work- HSG53” it is mentioned there but it is not clear when you need to face fit test for positive pressure MASKS. It also makes it clear that the qualitative face fit test (which most people use) is no use with positive pressure equipment.

chris.packham  
#6 Posted : 09 August 2018 10:30:40(UTC)
chris.packham

Surely, with positive pressure hoods, etc., there is no 'fit' as the air fed into the mask has to escape! Therefore, what would you fit test for? For me more important would be some alarm system so that should the air supply fail the wearer would immediately become aware of this.

Chris

Kate  
#7 Posted : 09 August 2018 12:02:18(UTC)
Kate

It's true there is no need with a hood - but some positive pressure equipment uses close-fitting full-face masks which are meant to seal around the face. That's the situation in which a fit test would be relevant.

rick448  
#8 Posted : 09 August 2018 13:38:23(UTC)
rick448

Originally Posted by: chris.packham Go to Quoted Post

Surely, with positive pressure hoods, etc., there is no 'fit' as the air fed into the mask has to escape! Therefore, what would you fit test for? For me more important would be some alarm system so that should the air supply fail the wearer would immediately become aware of this.

Chris

Whilst it is true that the air would escape, in certain circumstances, particulalry when working hard, it is possible to overcome the positive pressure element and "suck in" air (and any other contaminant) from outside the mask. And judging by the fact that PP BA has been chosen, the liklihood is there are some potentially nasty substances in the atmosphere. 

chris42  
#9 Posted : 09 August 2018 14:04:25(UTC)
chris42

HSG53 draws the following distinction

15 Respirators and BA are available in a range of styles, dividing into two main groups:

■ Tight-fitting facepieces (often referred to as masks) rely on having a good seal with the wearer’s face. These are available as both non-powered and powered respirators and BA. A face fit test should be carried out to ensure the RPE can protect the wearer (see paragraphs 71 and 72).

■ Loose-fitting facepieces rely on enough clean air being provided to the wearer to prevent contaminant leaking in (only available as powered respirators or BA). Examples are hoods, helmets, visors, blouses and suits.

In the link kindly provided in #2 the first part of it refers to tight fitting RPE and if you go down to page 13 – 14 there is a table of what is required and even little pictures of the various kit to ensure there is no doubt.

So, once you have decided exactly which type of RPE is required following assessment, the chart tells you what is required (or not as the case may be).

Regards

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Thomo on 24/08/2018(UTC)
Thomo  
#10 Posted : 24 August 2018 06:08:55(UTC)
Thomo

Spot on Chris

If the mask is tight fitting then it requires a test.

If its a hood it doesnt.

Why because most masks only form a tight seal around 8/10 thus allowing contaminent in, and as the possible risk is so high thus the need of a Face Fit Test.

Its not just about clean air its about all possible hazards.

Philip Rowlands  
#11 Posted : 30 August 2018 22:10:38(UTC)
Philip Rowlands

See HSG 53 page 12 flow chart and page 7. Exerpt below 

"Tight-fitting facepieces (often referred to as masks) rely on having a good seal with the wearer’s face. These are available as both non-powered and powered respirators and BA. A face fit test should be carried out to ensure the RPE can protect the wearer (see paragraphs 71 and 72).

Loose-fitting facepieces rely on enough clean air being provided to the wearer to prevent contaminant leaking in (only available as powered respirators or BA). Examples are hoods, helmets, visors, blouses and suits."