Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
syoduntan@yahoo.com  
#1 Posted : 31 August 2018 09:13:07(UTC)
syoduntan@yahoo.com

Dear All, I need someone to please advise me. I work as Estates H&S Adviser, however due to a recent restructuring within the organisation, I will be moved  to Estates Compliance team as they believe my H&S skills will be more impactful here. Organisation has promised this will come with an increase in my salary.

My question is should I take the job or I should look for how to move on. Will the Estates compliance role add values to my H&S skills or this will be a draw back? Will it be easier to get H&S job in future or this will affect me negatively? I have NEBOSH diploma with wealth of experience and I dont consider getting another job an issue. Am in real dilema and I need to decide in 2weeks time. Thanks

Edited by user 31 August 2018 09:15:48(UTC)  | Reason: To correct typo

Kate  
#2 Posted : 31 August 2018 09:34:11(UTC)
Kate

Is this just a move to another department, or does it involve changes in your responsibilities and duties?

Elfin Davy 09  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2018 10:45:27(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Nobody can advise you on this one I'm afraid (even if it was perfectly clear why you're concerned, which your OP doesn't), and this is something only you can decide upon.  If you really feel that your talents are going to be stifled, and your future prospects dented, then you have to decide whether you're willing to put up with that (and accept the increase in salary which has been offered), or seek pastures new (which you say you'll have no problems doing).  The decision largely revolves around your own principles and values (not to mention your personal and financial circumstances), so has to be made by you alone.

thanks 1 user thanked Elfin Davy 09 for this useful post.
syoduntan@yahoo.com on 31/08/2018(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 31 August 2018 11:57:32(UTC)
Hsquared14

Its difficult to advise on this because there are so many variables that we don't have access to.  However,  I can share my personal experience of taking on an H&S role that also includes facilities management and the compliance issues that come with facilities and I have to say that I am loving that aspect of my role because you get almost instant results and you can see improvements very quickly.  What I would do is give it a try, if you don't like it 6 months to a year down the line then move.

syoduntan@yahoo.com  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2018 15:15:39(UTC)
syoduntan@yahoo.com

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post

Its difficult to advise on this because there are so many variables that we don't have access to.  However,  I can share my personal experience of taking on an H&S role that also includes facilities management and the compliance issues that come with facilities and I have to say that I am loving that aspect of my role because you get almost instant results and you can see improvements very quickly.  What I would do is give it a try, if you don't like it 6 months to a year down the line then move.

Thanks for this insight, I think as advised I will give it a year and see.

Edited by user 31 August 2018 15:16:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified