Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bxuxa  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2018 11:33:04(UTC)
bxuxa

Hi,.

I am reviewing the present arrangement regarding fire preparedness and on the notices for Emergency Action, the previous HS person placed the name of the fire wardens.

Placing the names, make me update the document whenever a change occurs, and also, I don't expect to see someone reading the name in an Emergency.

Thoughts?

Regards.

Connor35037  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2018 15:24:45(UTC)
Connor35037

In my experience, fire evacuation plans have the names of the individuals and their role, but you could just use their job title instead to reduce the frequency of having to edit notices etc.

Kate  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2018 19:43:25(UTC)
Kate

You need to have a record somewhere of who they are, and they need to know it's them, but there isn't generally any reason for building users in general to know who they are, therefore no need to put them on notices.

Stephenl1985  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2018 19:52:40(UTC)
Stephenl1985

I have started to work for a company recently and we have a notice on the board with the heading "Fire Marshall's", each marshall is then represented by their photograph and name.

I have proposed today that Fire Marshall's are to wear an orange hi-vis with Fire Sweeper printed on the back.  I have asked for orange because it makes them stand out more as we all wear yellow hi-vis.

I may also request green hi-vis for first aiders.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2018 20:13:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Or you keep a central list of current Fire Marshals etc. and then if you must in each department have a single notice detailing the local respondents only (normally identified in their absence by the multi-coloured / signed Hi-Vis hanging from the back of their chair).

One employment we had a "gallery" by the employee entrance - name / job title listed below each photograph along with markers for FAAW / Fire / FLT / Crane Operator. Soon fell out of date when HR lost interest in its maintenance due to skill changes, promotions and departures.

And in these "modern" intranet times just have a single document linked for internal (& auditor) consumption as opposed to papering several notice boards.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 04 September 2018 20:13:47(UTC)
Roundtuit

Or you keep a central list of current Fire Marshals etc. and then if you must in each department have a single notice detailing the local respondents only (normally identified in their absence by the multi-coloured / signed Hi-Vis hanging from the back of their chair).

One employment we had a "gallery" by the employee entrance - name / job title listed below each photograph along with markers for FAAW / Fire / FLT / Crane Operator. Soon fell out of date when HR lost interest in its maintenance due to skill changes, promotions and departures.

And in these "modern" intranet times just have a single document linked for internal (& auditor) consumption as opposed to papering several notice boards.

bxuxa  
#7 Posted : 04 September 2018 21:20:02(UTC)
bxuxa

Thanks all.

Indeed, the FRO states:

Provision of information to employees

19.—(1) The responsible person must provide his employees with comprehensible and relevant information on—

(d)the identities of those persons nominated by him in accordance with article 13(3)(b) or appointed in accordance with article 15(1)(b) ; and

nominate competent persons ....

nominate a sufficient number of competent persons ...

Nothing better than placing the names of the Fire Marshal in a visible place, however, I big nightmare for most of us.

No one will read that information in a real emergency.

chris42  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2018 08:09:59(UTC)
chris42

In a real situation the fire marshal = The person telling you the loud noise that is interrupting your phone conversation means you have to get out of the burning building.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/09/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 05 September 2018 19:52:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

But Chris - my name isn't on that out of date list!

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/09/2018(UTC), chris42 on 07/09/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 06/09/2018(UTC), chris42 on 07/09/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 05 September 2018 19:52:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

But Chris - my name isn't on that out of date list!

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/09/2018(UTC), chris42 on 07/09/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 06/09/2018(UTC), chris42 on 07/09/2018(UTC)
bxuxa  
#11 Posted : 05 September 2018 23:48:39(UTC)
bxuxa

Why should be on the list? Does anyone need a training for this?

MickD  
#12 Posted : 07 September 2018 10:32:01(UTC)
MickD

Originally Posted by: Stephenl1985 Go to Quoted Post

I have started to work for a company recently and we have a notice on the board with the heading "Fire Marshall's", each marshall is then represented by their photograph and name.

I have proposed today that Fire Marshall's are to wear an orange hi-vis with Fire Sweeper printed on the back.  I have asked for orange because it makes them stand out more as we all wear yellow hi-vis.

I may also request green hi-vis for first aiders.

This is exactly what we do at my place of employment.  All co-workers wear a yellow/blue hi-viz, with first aiders wearing yellow/green and fire marshalls wear yellow/red.  Visitors wear an orange vest.

If you'd like pictures and details of where we source them, please send me a PM!

preveli  
#13 Posted : 07 September 2018 14:36:34(UTC)
preveli

Our OHSMS identifies the responsibilities of fire marshals which includes routine checks around the workplace such as visual F/Ext checks, E/L flick tests, Emergency evacuation route checks etc and of course ensuring at least two emergency evacuation drills are completed annually. 

We also have emergency response plans placed around the branches especially on the back of meeting room doors, back of training room doors etc, the plan includes a photograph of the fire assembly point as well as the names of trained first aiders and fire marshals. 

All F/M also have high viz waistcoats so all this together should make sure the identity of the fire marshals is well communicated.  Hope this helps :)

bxuxa  
#14 Posted : 09 September 2018 08:50:59(UTC)
bxuxa

Originally Posted by: preveli Go to Quoted Post
Our OHSMS identifies the responsibilities of fire marshals which includes routine checks around the workplace such as visual F/Ext checks, E/L flick tests, Emergency evacuation route checks etc and of course ensuring at least two emergency evacuation drills are completed annually. We also have emergency response plans placed around the branches especially on the back of meeting room doors, back of training room doors etc, the plan includes a photograph of the fire assembly point as well as the names of trained first aiders and fire marshals. All F/M also have high viz waistcoats so all this together should make sure the identity of the fire marshals is well communicated. Hope this helps :)
This is ideal, however, not all organisations have this type of support and at the end is one man job.
Messey  
#15 Posted : 09 September 2018 13:41:00(UTC)
Messey

I am responsible for fire safety across an esate of around 60 premises and 8000 staff. Our Head Office regularly has 3,500 staff with around 200 fire wardens in place. With department moves, promotion and staff moves, there is no way I would entertain the maintenance of staff photos or lists around the buildings.

Wardens do not have day to day routines (these are carried out by facilities team) so only need to be identified during an emenrgency which is possible by the wearing of Hi Viz. We do keep a database centrally and warden location or disposition info can be requested by e-mail 

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
bxuxa on 09/09/2018(UTC)
lee.kingham  
#16 Posted : 10 September 2018 13:25:50(UTC)
lee.kingham

My organisation trains every employee to fire marshal standard via E-learning, everyone on site have a collective responsiblity for clearing the area they are in as they make their way to the assembly point. In my opinion this is safer than expecting a handful of marshals to clear the whole of the site and risk entering unsafe areas. Each site has a designated fire co ordinator who is responsible for maintaining call point checks, emergency lighting and fire drills etc, however each of my sites average only 25 personnel. 

Edited by user 10 September 2018 13:31:45(UTC)  | Reason: additional info

toe  
#17 Posted : 10 September 2018 20:05:17(UTC)
toe

Originally Posted by: bxuxa Go to Quoted Post

Hi,.

I am reviewing the present arrangement regarding fire preparedness and on the notices for Emergency Action, the previous HS person placed the name of the fire wardens.

Placing the names, make me update the document whenever a change occurs, and also, I don't expect to see someone reading the name in an Emergency.

Thoughts?

Regards.

Some really intresting thoughts and challenges to keep the registers maintained and staff trained. Just a thought, at our 18001 audit the auditor asked staff who were the fire wardens and first aiders. Luckly, we did have the names of these people on display so staff knew who these people were when questioned.

Although we dont expect people to read the names in an emergency, they may need to report a fire related issue, and the fire wardens may be the people to report the issue to.

Edited by user 10 September 2018 20:06:48(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

A Kurdziel  
#18 Posted : 11 September 2018 10:39:56(UTC)
A Kurdziel

There is another reason for naming fire marshals and the like. It ensures that the buggers on the top floor are aware that you are doing something about ‘Elf and safety’. When some new management turned up at previous place of work they were surprised by what they called the ‘low profile’ approach to Health and Safety. They were used to places full of posters and notices and the like which of course the employees largely ignored but confirmed in their minds that things related to ‘Elf and Safety’ were happening.  

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 11/09/2018(UTC), Kate on 11/09/2018(UTC), MickD on 12/09/2018(UTC)
toe  
#19 Posted : 12 September 2018 01:15:21(UTC)
toe

"buggers on the top floor" conservative words of choice. We wouldn’t want to break the forum rules now would we…