Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Alun Bevan  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2018 11:49:05(UTC)
Alun Bevan

Has anyone completed their masters with Strathclyde University. I am looking at options for further training and the course  "Safety and Risk management" seems to tick the boxes.

Edited by user 03 September 2018 11:50:21(UTC)  | Reason: additional info

Melrose80086  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2018 11:28:44(UTC)
Melrose80086

Hi Alun

I did the PG certificate for this course by distance learning about 12 years ago and thought it was good (I already had a masters in another subject and was financing it mostly myself so didn't think the project would add much).

There was a number of modules and essays to be submitted throughout the course. I remember it was a struggle over the Christmas break as I still had to sit down and study when everyone else seemed to be relaxing as I also did it while working full time as a consultant Ergonomist. There was no final exam to sit so the marks were based on the essays. If I remember correctly there were two that were larger but for the life of me I can't recall how many words.

I only visited Strathclyde twice - once at the start of the course and then for graduation as everything else was online. You get allocated a tutor that marks your assignments but I never met that person.

Sorry I can't be much more help than that but it was a long time ago and the course may have changed by now.

Good luck if you decide to go down that route though!

Dude7777  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2018 10:55:03(UTC)
Dude7777

Hi Alun,

I completed the PG Dip Safety, Risk Management at Strathclyde and would definately recommend it.  Hard work with tight deadlines but well worth it.  If I remember rightly every week you had to complete 500 word assignment and every couple of Months 2,500 word essay.  I found the course very challenging but also very interesting.  This course is also accepted for Grad IOSH membership.  I decided not to do the final Dissertation for the MSc as my main goal was to achieve a Post Grad qualification that meets entry requirement for Grad IOSH at the time.  I am seriously thinking of doing the third and final year for the MSc.  The MSc is over 3 years.  1st Year PG Cert, 2nd Year PG Dip and third year MSc.  

I hope this helps,

Mark

ccp  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2018 09:16:12(UTC)
ccp

Dear all,

I am planning to do MSc in Occupational health safety and environment via distant learning online in for 2019, as I am full time working.

1.      Can you please advise /suggest me the which all universities (other than Portsmouth/hull/ Greenwich) do allow the online distant learning for MSc. Which all universities have essay and dissertation & no exams. (I fear exams a lot.).

2.      One more advise, I know that there will be a tutor assigned for the same, but my worry is that how often can you get help in case your stuck in any part of the subject. Can we always approach the tutor or is it only the questions and answer submission protocol?

3.      Is online MSc done directly or is it done step wise, I mean PG certificate, then Pg diploma & then MSc?

Can you please advise me ?

EDuffy  
#5 Posted : 19 November 2018 13:43:16(UTC)
EDuffy

Hi, I did the MSc with Strathclyde.  The hardest part of the MSc was picking the dissertation topic.  You do a preparation course beforehand, I think it was called Research Skills, but I didn't find it very beneficial at all. 

There's not as much support and guidance from tutors at this level either; I suppose at this level you're supposed to be quite self-sufficient but not having gone to university or done a degree before I felt a bit 'out on a limb' in respect of how to pick a topic, how to do a literature review and how to tie that all in to the final dissertation.  There are many books out there but with that comes a lot of conflicting advice.  I did manage a pass with merit, but it was a struggle.  Don't underestimate the time and effort it takes!

George_Young  
#6 Posted : 19 November 2018 14:33:25(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: EDuffy Go to Quoted Post

Hi, I did the MSc with Strathclyde.  The hardest part of the MSc was picking the dissertation topic.  You do a preparation course beforehand, I think it was called Research Skills, but I didn't find it very beneficial at all. 

There's not as much support and guidance from tutors at this level either; I suppose at this level you're supposed to be quite self-sufficient but not having gone to university or done a degree before I felt a bit 'out on a limb' in respect of how to pick a topic, how to do a literature review and how to tie that all in to the final dissertation.  There are many books out there but with that comes a lot of conflicting advice.  I did manage a pass with merit, but it was a struggle.  Don't underestimate the time and effort it takes!

I have to agree with above, I under esitmated the course, Im only a month in but have 4 assignments to complete by the first week in faburary. I feel I have bitten off more than I can chew and I feel like I wont make it through the course currently

RuiChui  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2019 02:36:18(UTC)
RuiChui

Hi. There is a Distance Learning MSc Environment, Health and Safety with University of Sunderland, which is accredited by IOSH.

Melrose80086  
#8 Posted : 09 January 2019 09:19:51(UTC)
Melrose80086

Originally Posted by: George_Young Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: EDuffy Go to Quoted Post

I have to agree with above, I under esitmated the course, Im only a month in but have 4 assignments to complete by the first week in faburary. I feel I have bitten off more than I can chew and I feel like I wont make it through the course currently

Yeah, it's a bit of a struggle trying to get all the assignements completed within the timeframe but is worth it in the end. Hang in there and don't be afraid to ask your tutor questions. They normally respond pretty quickly and give good advice on where to look if you're struggling. Hang in there and good luck!

Dave5705  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2019 07:50:19(UTC)
Dave5705

Hello Alun,

I can't speak for the benefits of doing the course in terms of recruitment, apart from to say I'm intending to do it to demonstrate my self-drive and commitment to learning, but in terms of acceptance onto the course, I would agree with the other posts here.

Although you are supposed to have a level 6 qualification to gain entry, if you have plenty of experience and are working in the field and the NVQ I can't imagine you will have problems getting a place. But why not get the number or email of the course director or head tutor and contact them to make sure? They are used to this I assure you and they will make contact with their admissions team and swing it for you if they think you have a good chance of success in the course.

During my search I discovered every university has a different specification for the course, depending on their facilities and expertise, you need to read the course prospectus to get the details.

Personally, I managed to find a local university (within commuting distance) so actually ended up applying for part-time rather than distance learning. I start in Sept 19 and I must attend one day per week until the PGCert and PGDip are complete, then just a morning per week if I continue the MSc research module. That's the plan anyway!

To help put your mind at rest, I don't believe any of them have exams, it's purely assignment and research-based, marked by continual assessment. Happy to be corrected on that though.

Well done on getting employer funding, I've had to fund the whole process myself, through Cert, Dip and now MSc, so you've definitely got one less thing to worry about! Distance learning doesn't suit everyone, I did all my quals via distance learning so far, and it suits me, but there were quite a few dissenters! The tutors understand you are on your own so are very accommodating, but it's tough I won't kid you.

Good luck whatever you choose to do, by all means, PM me if I can help any. I have been trying to set up a study support group for the few of us who are doing self-study MSc (via Email) if you are interested.

Dave