Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kmason83  
#1 Posted : 13 September 2018 08:46:58(UTC)
kmason83

What is the term used when someone is acting of their own accord outside of reasonable or advised bahaviour or instruction?  I don't mean volenti non fit injuria theres is a another simular term it might not even be a latin thing or a defence thing its more of a we told them not to do it and they are adults so if they do it its of their own accord and not in lines with the cordinated activity or reason why they are their,  I am pretty sure theres a word for that. But I may well be going off my little rocker!

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2018 09:29:54(UTC)
A Kurdziel

'frolic of one's own'?

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
toe on 15/09/2018(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2018 09:35:11(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

Proprio Motu

Swygart25604  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2018 10:00:12(UTC)
Swygart25604

Motu proprio ("on his own impulse").......more of a religious term (first coined by the Catholic church) and not sure if that's used in legal circles in this country. Someone will be along shortly to confirm or deny! But it fits the bill in any case.

"Frolic of one's own" - is the classic phrase that's been coined for the pigeon-chasing piece of case law and may well be in use in legal circles here.........same comment as above!

fairlieg  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2018 10:12:12(UTC)
fairlieg

A Frolic of ones own means something slightly different, a frolic is when the employee is acting on his own and for his own benefit, rather than a minor sidetrack in the course of obeying an order from the employer so you would have to prove a case and be significantly persuasive in doing so.  It can still attract vicarious libility https://www.newlawjournal.co.uk/content/new-landmark-vicarious-liability

Proprio Motu relates to an official action or act that is taken on ones own initiative or without the request of another which again has a slightly different meaning the the OP describes.

Do you mean carrying out an authorised action in an unauthorised way? in the law of neglegence we normaly talk about the level of standards that a "reasonable person" would exersise in a similar situation.  Defence would be "contributory neglegence" where we would build a case to determine that the failure of an injured party to act prudently was considered to be a contributory factor in the injury which they have suffered

Edited by user 13 September 2018 10:14:16(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

thanks 1 user thanked fairlieg for this useful post.
Swygart25604 on 13/09/2018(UTC)
SteveL  
#6 Posted : 14 September 2018 14:44:47(UTC)
SteveL

"mens rea" the intention to commit an offence whilst knowing it to be wrong?

grim72  
#7 Posted : 14 September 2018 15:44:28(UTC)
grim72

I was going to suggest one of the below:

breach, contravene, flout, disobey, derogate from, 

But then found this which I think defines what you are looking for? 

https://www.dundaslawyers.com.au/can-an-employer-sack-an-employee-for-not-following-directions/

Relates/defines the terms of serious misconduct and unreasonable refusal.