Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MoreTeaVicar  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2018 07:45:12(UTC)
MoreTeaVicar

Hi all,

First post here so wanted to pose a question. In the event of a fire causing operations to cease for 24+ hours, where there is a landlord arrangement, is the landlord responsible for reporting this to the HSE, or individual employers within the building?

Whilst I would consider that the landlord probably is only responsible to report it in 'common areas', and the employers in their section(s) of the building, I figured I'd pose the question as the regs do seem a little obscure on this point to my mind.

Any assistance you can render would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards Steve

Spacedinvader  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2018 08:09:25(UTC)
Spacedinvader

What's that got to do with "Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations"?

pl53  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2018 08:25:04(UTC)
pl53

Originally Posted by: Spacedinvader Go to Quoted Post

What's that got to do with "Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations"?

To answer your question "What has it to do with RIDDOR" fires in a workplace that cause a suspension in activities for 24+ hours are reportable as dangerous occurrences under RIDDOR. It think the OP has pretty much got it right. Those responsible for the undertaking where the fire occurs are responsible for reporting. In common areas I guess the landlord would be responsible unless the fire is as a result of one of the tenant's processes. 

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2018 08:27:27(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Was this fire caused by an electrical short circuit or overload? 

How did the fire cause a stoppage of plant (ie machnery in a factory setting)  for more than 24 hours or cause a significant risk of death?

See Schedule 2 of RIDDOR under Dangerous Occurrences Part 1 Section 4

pl53  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2018 08:48:54(UTC)
pl53

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Was this fire caused by an electrical short circuit or overload? 

How did the fire cause a stoppage of plant (ie machnery in a factory setting)  for more than 24 hours or cause a significant risk of death?

See Schedule 2 of RIDDOR under Dangerous Occurrences Part 1 Section 4

Doesn't have to be caused by an electrical overload. Can be a factory or office setting.

See Schedule 2 of RIDDOR Part 2 Section 25:

"Explosion or fire

25.  Any unintentional explosion or fire in any plant or premises which results in the stoppage of that plant, or the suspension of normal work in those premises, for more than 24 hours."

The only criterion is that it results in a suspension of normal work for 24+ hours, which was the question in the original post.

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2018 09:21:33(UTC)
HSSnail

pl53 I think this changed in the 2013 regs - its only after an electrical problem now as others have said.
pl53  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2018 09:38:43(UTC)
pl53

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post
pl53 I think this changed in the 2013 regs - its only after an electrical problem now as others have said.

Sorry Brian that is not correct. Check schedule 2 Part 2 section 25 as I said. 

In the old regs it was Schedule 2 Part 2 section 19.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1471/schedule/2/paragraph/25/made

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/dangerous-occurences.htm

Regards

Peter L

pl53  
#8 Posted : 18 September 2018 09:44:07(UTC)
pl53

Further to what I just posted, the criterion for a fire being caused by an electrical fault applies to any workplace regardless of what it is for and therefore includes offshore installations. 

Any other type of fire applies to any type of workplace other than offshore installations. The only criterion is that it results in 24+hour stoppage of work. 

Zyggy  
#9 Posted : 18 September 2018 12:08:02(UTC)
Zyggy

I am with pl53 on this - RIDDOR 2013 - Schedual 2 - Part 2 is quite clear on the matter.

I also concur as to who takes responsibility for reporting the DO if necessary.

HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 18 September 2018 14:32:48(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: pl53 Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post

Sorry Brian that is not correct. Check schedule 2 Part 2 section 25 as I said. 

In the old regs it was Schedule 2 Part 2 section 19.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/1471/schedule/2/paragraph/25/made

http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/dangerous-occurences.htm

Regards

Peter L

Thank You Peter - I had missed the word EXCEPT and reading it as only in an offshore workplace.