Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Self and Hasty  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2018 06:41:00(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Hello,

I've just been handed the DEF STAN 00-56, and told we need to be compliant to this standard for an upcoming (imminent) audit of our site.

"Prior to the audit they will need to review the documents that set the safety requirements (the SoW and the Equipment Spec(ES)) (where these exist) and the suppliers Safety Management System (SMS) documentation which would generally comprise of:

•  Safety Management Plan (SMP)
  • Safety Case Report (SCR)
  • Hazard Log (HL)

I'm not familiar with any of these terms, I just googled SMP and SCR and these seem to be Australian safety terminologies?

We have a health and safety policy in place.

We have risk assessments system and reports in place.

We have COSHH lists and product specs (MSDS's) in place.

We have incident/accident reporting and analysis in place.

These are all the equivalents as far as I can guess. Is this right? How much do I have to change to provide compliance to this standard? How many new documents am I going to have to write?!

Any advice you can give would be helpful as I'm on page 7 of 131 of this standard and it's already melted my brain!

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2018 08:25:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

SoW - systems of work = Standard Operating Procedure / Safe System of Work / Process Instruction / Task Briefing

The other items SMP, SCR, HL you have already spotted your equivalents

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 11/09/2018(UTC), Self and Hasty on 11/09/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 11 September 2018 08:25:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

SoW - systems of work = Standard Operating Procedure / Safe System of Work / Process Instruction / Task Briefing

Self and Hasty on 11/09/2018(UTC), Self and Hasty on 11/09/2018(UTC)
Self and Hasty  
#4 Posted : 11 September 2018 08:32:05(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Okay great, so I've identified the equivielent(s) do I need to completely rewrite or rework the system so that it fits exactly with this standard or will they accept 'this is the equivilent of...' ?

I don't even know how much of this is even relevant to us as the production is being outsourced to a third party we're just the middleman, I'm pretty sure it should be our contractor who is audited not us as we aren't even doing the work!

Thanks for the response anyway.

peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 11 September 2018 12:43:58(UTC)
peter gotch

You possibly need to be prepared to challenge the auditor(s) to justify any Non Conformance Reports they may be thinking of raising.

Just because you don't speak and write in MoD speak does not mean that your systems are deficient.

Any attempt to try and rewrite them at this stage is likely to be counter-productive (unless you have other reason to be improving them!)

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 11/09/2018(UTC)
Self and Hasty  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2018 13:03:10(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

You possibly need to be prepared to challenge the auditor(s) to justify any Non Conformance Reports they may be thinking of raising.

Just because you don't speak and write in MoD speak does not mean that your systems are deficient.

Any attempt to try and rewrite them at this stage is likely to be counter-productive (unless you have other reason to be improving them!)

Well, always looking to develop and improve, but yeah I wasn't really looking forward to doing a rewrite for one contract, even a big one!

It seems that the MOD compliant documents with their wording and abreviations etc. have been written and approved by a third party two years ago so all I have to do is review and update those documents, which seems much less daunting. 

Thanks for your advice.

A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 11 September 2018 15:16:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I have never heard of DEF STAN 00-56 until I saw this thread. I then, out of curiosity had a look at what was out there about this and I could not believe the amount of technical bumf that it required and I especially felt aggrieved by the use of a bizarre jargon- one thing I read was this line: “The term Hazard Log (which is in the standard) may be seen as misleading since the information stored relates to the entire Safety Programme and covers Accidents, Controls, Risk Evaluation and ALARP justification, as well as data on Hazards.” Which seems  to say that even the people who wrote this standard did not understand what they meant!  Who wrote this and why?

The real question I want to ask is does this actually make things safer?

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 11/09/2018(UTC)
Self and Hasty  
#8 Posted : 11 September 2018 15:32:32(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Ha ha, I'm suprised you wanted to look at it, It's my job and I didn't want to look at it! I only made it to page 52 out of 131 before my brain was completely liquified, I think this standard needs a risk assessment! 

I have no idea why the Ministry of Defence decided to make up their own rules and terminology for health and safety rather than go by HSE. But the documentation they require and the hoops a supplier like us has to jump through is ridiculous.

Wasted half my day trawling through the first hald of the standard (two pages of obscure abreviations!) before being told there is a folder with the documents for this project already written just need reviewing/updating. 

Ah well, I learn something new every day, and todays lesson was two-fold, one; don't read MoD standards if you want to keep all your faculties and two; check what work has been done already on a project before wading in with my own input! The latter being a lesson I continuously learn and still regularly forget.

thanks 1 user thanked Self and Hasty for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 12/09/2018(UTC)
Kate  
#9 Posted : 11 September 2018 18:36:41(UTC)
Kate

The documents were written and approved two years ago, and you didn't know this?  Someone didn't do a very good job of embedding these documents into your organisation and communicating their crucial safety requirements and findings to all staff!

No, wait - I've heard of something like this - the job was to write the documents and store them in preparation for audit, was it?

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 11 September 2018 19:53:12(UTC)
Roundtuit

Lets start with the fact the Ministry of Defence have been around for a lot longer than the Health & Safety at Work Act and the HSE - their terminology was concurrent with the time of initial writing and the fact later systems have appeared with different wording is just an unfortunate effect of the evolution of language.

By example what was Defence Standard 51 became "privatised" as BS 5750 in the 1980's - nowadays even the language of that document has changed for the firms who apply BS EN ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems.

MoD standards are written in a particular manner as there is a requirement for repeatability, consistency and reliability from all defence spending.

The MoD also enjoys Crown Privelege

Self and Hasty on 12/09/2018(UTC), Self and Hasty on 12/09/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 11 September 2018 19:53:12(UTC)
Roundtuit

Lets start with the fact the Ministry of Defence have been around for a lot longer than the Health & Safety at Work Act and the HSE - their terminology was concurrent with the time of initial writing and the fact later systems have appeared with different wording is just an unfortunate effect of the evolution of language.

By example what was Defence Standard 51 became "privatised" as BS 5750 in the 1980's - nowadays even the language of that document has changed for the firms who apply BS EN ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems.

MoD standards are written in a particular manner as there is a requirement for repeatability, consistency and reliability from all defence spending.

Self and Hasty on 12/09/2018(UTC), Self and Hasty on 12/09/2018(UTC)
toe  
#12 Posted : 12 September 2018 01:07:23(UTC)
toe

Hmmm... tell that to the two SAS soldiers that are in front of the judge at the moment being used as a scapegoat.

A Kurdziel – I can’t believe that after reading your post you made me take a look at what this was about. When I say take a look, it was in intensive curiosity search to find the info.

thanks 1 user thanked toe for this useful post.
Self and Hasty  
#13 Posted : 12 September 2018 07:50:43(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

No, wait - I've heard of something like this - the job was to write the documents and store them in preparation for audit, was it?

Exactly this! these documents have been written specifically for this contract and have NEVER been used by the companies, we run to the regular civil HSE standards and these documents haven't even been looked at since they were written, I've now just got to scan through them make sure they are current and then present them at the audit as if it's how we actually run... not what I like to do but as it was a system that was in place before my time and I've only just been told about it and the imminent audit I don't have the time or energy to amalgamate the system into ours in good working order so I think it will just have to be a stand alone paper exercise.

A Kurdziel  
#14 Posted : 12 September 2018 08:57:33(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The MoD has had a bit of kicking from the HSE recently (see Crown Censures on the HSE website) and somebody has obviously decided that they needed to do something about it. I have worked for an organisation that have Crown Immunity and have had dealings with people who do Health and Safety in the MoD. Most were reasonable, sensible people who believed in a proportionate response to H&S matters (like the rest of this forum :o). It looks like someone, higher up in Whitehall,  decided rather than  develop a positive H&S culture in the MoD, they would take the ‘management by checklist approach’ to the nth degree. The terminology I thinks is North American and everybody knows how good they are at this H&S stuff!

One other point: the MoD must have paid some consultants a large chunk of taxpayers’ money to cobble this together. Is this money well spent?

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 12/09/2018(UTC), toe on 12/09/2018(UTC)
nic168  
#15 Posted : 17 September 2018 11:19:02(UTC)
nic168

Self, if you want to PM me to discuss - I used to be an MOD safety auditor and may be able to shed some light on thi or at least offer some sympathy..

The Def stan has been around for ages, its mainly used by the commercial "side" when they are setting up contracts, IIRC there is little in there that a well run organisation will not already be doing it is just wrapped up in some rather archaic languauge.

The downside is that many of the people involved in setting contracts do not understand safety in the same way as we do here , so dialogue can become stilted and it is easy to get confused.

To me this sounds like "contracts speak from DE&S".

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 17/09/2018(UTC)
Mark-W  
#16 Posted : 19 September 2018 08:56:19(UTC)
Mark-W

Not so sure they do. Although they can't be prosecuted, as an organisation we still have to comply with current H&S regulations. I was in a previous life a Royal Engineer, so worked on a few construction sites in places like Bosnia, NI and others inbetween. We still had to abide by the rules where reasonably practicle. So if no bullets were flying then we had to abide, when bullets were flying then it was best effort to complay. As a manager, I always had my blokes welfare at heart. The days of being cowboys and doing our own thing is long gone

A Kurdziel  
#17 Posted : 19 September 2018 09:35:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Crown Immunity is the principle that organisations that are part of the Crown cannot be prosecuted as the Crown cannot prosecute itself.  The principle used to be very widely applied so the whole NHS had Crown Immunity. Nowadays NHS Trusts, like any other organisations can be prosecuted. Crown Immunity only applies today to government departments (ie the Civil Service), some non-departmental bodies and the armed forces.  Health and Safety at Work Act makes it clear that although the organisation as an employer has immunity, individuals working for tem, are still liable under the Act and can be prosecuted in a court of law.  

If the HSE believes that body that has Crown Immunity could be prosecuted in court but for their Crown Immunity they can apply for a Crown Censure, which is an official telling off that is recorded on the HSE prosecutions database.  

The Corporate Manslaughter Act reduces Crown Immunity even further. See Sections 11 and 12. There is a list of organisations in Schedule 1 which can be prosecuted under that Act.

Mark-W  
#18 Posted : 19 September 2018 09:44:31(UTC)
Mark-W

This has now intrigued me as we were always informed that we didn't have crown immunity, going back to when I first arrived in BAOR in the late 80's.

So a bit of digging and I've found this.

The Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HSW Act) does in fact apply to the MoD, its agencies and the armed forces within Great Britain.  However, the Secretary of State for Defence can claim exemption on behalf of the armed forces from some requirements in the interests of national security, though in practice this is rarely exercised.

The MoD says individuals in the armed forces are still liable for their own culpable negligence and argues there is a real fear among military commanders that removal of Crown immunity will progressively lead to the development of “a systemic culture of risk aversion in respect of carrying out military training”. Furthermore, the MoD says it learns lessons from accidents and continually strives to improve health and safety performance.

But critics believe Crown immunity is preventing defence officials from being properly held to account for its poor health and safety record. A 2015 report, ‘MOD Health and Safety Statistics: Annual Summary & Trends Over Time 2010/11 – 2014/15’ states: “During 2014/15 there were 18 work related deaths. Of these two were a result of a failure in health and safety and seven are currently awaiting the outcome of an investigation”.

A detailed report by MPs, published early last year, concluded that the MoD should be liable for corporate manslaughter charges when there is a serious failing in its duty of care. “The lives of serving personnel are worth no less than those of civilians and those responsible for their deaths must be equally liable under the law,” the committee said.

Between 1 January 2000 and 20 February 2016, 135 armed forces personnel died in non-combat incidents, mainly on training exercises. During that period 11 “crown censures” were recorded, the maximum sanction possible that can be issued to the MoD by the Health and Safety Executive, the body charged with overseeing workplace safety.

nic168  
#19 Posted : 19 September 2018 13:36:32(UTC)
nic168

The principle of  Crown Immunity is sometimes misunderstood, it does not mean that the MoD or other government body is not held accountable for its failings. As Mark mentions the MoD is subject to Crown censure which is basically holding them to account, it is a long intensive process & certainly not a token slap on the wrist.

Exemptions from legislation have to be applied for,with the exeption of some activities related to defence  they are not automatically in place and are usually of limited duration/ application.

There was a good article about this in SHP a couple of years ago, if anyone wants the full explaination of why the Crown (HSE) does not prosecute another Crown body in the same way as it would a business or individual.