Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2018 13:18:49(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I'm looking for some guidance for an answer to a specific query. Currently we have a contractor doing some work on one of our silos; access to the silo requires climbing onto the roof and the roof itself is flat. My concern is currently due to the wind speed the people up on the roof are exposed to and their safety. I have checked HSG33 health and safety in roof work but it hasn't really given me a concrete answer as they aren't cladding or decking or slating etc (as they aren't actually working on the roof, they are just up there; basically some workers are working inside the silo - so they aren't exposed, and therefore not the concern - and another worker is standing atop the entrance to the silo supervising, and there is a rotation of the workers every so often).  They are also using scaffolding to access the area and are meant to be wearing a harness (and I can't seem to find - if and what is - the limit of effectivness for the use of a harness; I would have thought above a certain wind speed, it would be somewhat redundant?). From what I've read most WAH on a roof seems to agree that mean wind speed shouldn't exceed 23mph (gusting to 35mph or over), however, I don't know if this applies in this situation. I also know that other weather conditions are going to play a part but again, I can't seem to find anything definitive. Please can somone help? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Mark-W  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2018 13:25:51(UTC)
Mark-W

If I understand this correctly you have people working inside and have a "topman" who is supervising. Despite him not actually doing any manual work, he is still classed as working.

The way I'd read it, he's a contractor who is only up there due to ongoing works inside the silo. ergo he's working. So the wind readings you have quoted would apply to him. If he is a nesessity for the work and the wind speed precludes him from being on the roof then work stops.

Svick1984  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2018 13:59:54(UTC)
Svick1984

Thanks for the response Mark. Yes I agree in your definition of "working"; what I meant was - and I should have explained it better - that HSG33 is somewhat limited in it's definition of the roof work and wasn't sure because they weren't actually doing repair work or laying a new roof etc whether the limits applied. But with you having it explained, it does make more sense that it would apply. However, one other thing; are maximum wind speed limits also based on any kind of fall restraint or fall prevention system? Or does it apply no matter what FR or FP system is used? Thanks again.

Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2018 14:05:19(UTC)
Mark-W

I have engrs that are required to conduct roof work. I work on the fact that wind speed restrictions are in force no matter what restraint system they are using. If it's gusting or blowing really hard then you need your workers to be sure footed and not fighting the wind whilst trying to do their work. My engrs are AC/heating engrs so moving big heavy pieces of kit