Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jon505  
#1 Posted : 19 September 2018 15:42:51(UTC)
jon505

I have been tasked to re write all site specfic RAMS.  The format favoured by the MD is one Method Statement saying how the job is to be completed and just reference a set of generic Risk assessments, such as, movement of equipment from vehicle, use of step ladder, use of ladder, working at height etc.

My issue is- if there is an accident then, would HSE take a view that the whole job should have had site specific set of rams or would they agree the generic RA for all tasks is OK.  I am going with - if its site specfic then you need to include the whole lot in the electronic folder that is sent to the guys irregardless if they are genericly similar

I woudl welcome other peoples thoughts PLEASE

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 19 September 2018 18:02:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

For those factors within "your" control generic RA's should be enough

The Method Statement can similarly be exactly what it is named your approach to the task you have been contracted for.

When you come across a site with rules different to your own RAMS or where there are other occupiers of the planned workspace during the intended duration of the task or where the location offers unique issues (e.g. over water) then you need to include these additional considerations as a very specific document

You could include a summary table as page 1 with questions - answer NO (Will the works be near/over water?) and the generic document should be sufficient answer YES and it should direct to having a specific document written.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2018 18:02:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

For those factors within "your" control generic RA's should be enough

The Method Statement can similarly be exactly what it is named your approach to the task you have been contracted for.

When you come across a site with rules different to your own RAMS or where there are other occupiers of the planned workspace during the intended duration of the task or where the location offers unique issues (e.g. over water) then you need to include these additional considerations as a very specific document

You could include a summary table as page 1 with questions - answer NO (Will the works be near/over water?) and the generic document should be sufficient answer YES and it should direct to having a specific document written.

WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 20 September 2018 07:56:12(UTC)
WatsonD

I have template which I adapt to suit. The method remains largely the same (I have several for specific activities), unless we are needing to use different access equipment, etc. The RA has everything listed and I delete as applicable. The site specific stuff should come from the PC, but that is usually small variances such as inductions, permits for work activities and delivery times, etc.

The important thing is to get the site specific info, either by way of CPP or by visitng the site yourself.

rach108  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2018 16:14:05(UTC)
rach108

I have a template for our site specific install RAMS. I have a set of hazards which we can select based on the job. The site specifics change including anything the site wants, such as 'no ladder', 'blue helmets', '8am induction' and site contacts are put in for each job. 

If an engineer goes to site and comes across new hazards, he will add them and when he returns we will add to future generics.