Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
harteger  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2018 09:33:29(UTC)
harteger

We are reorganising one of our production areas and in particular want to move 2 core cutters beside each other.

Can somebody please tell me what is the minimum distance that is required to be left between 2 pieces of equipment.

Our warehouse manaher wants them as close together as possible while our engineering manager wants a large gap so that maintenance can be easily carried out.

I seem to recall 1.2 meters, but I can't find anything definite online

Thanks for help

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2018 09:46:23(UTC)
George_Young

I maybe wrong, but I would guess it will depend on manufaturer recommendations, nature of machines, tasks being conducted, evcautation/segregation routes and any access requirements (as your engineers have requested)

George

stuart46  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2018 10:00:40(UTC)
stuart46

Dare I suggest in the absence of any definitive distance, I'm not aware of anything, that a risk assessment be carried out for tasks that need to be carried out on and around the machine along with the safe use of two machines in close proximity.

harteger  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2018 10:45:41(UTC)
harteger

Thank you so far folks.

Unfortunately the manuals did not determine a safe distance. Looks like a RA is the only answer

SNS  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2018 11:54:46(UTC)
SNS

From my unreliable memory, 1.2m is about 4 feet which was the old factories act number.

All that changed to RA for everything including separation when we moved over to the 1974 act ...

matelot1965  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2018 16:59:49(UTC)
matelot1965

WHSWR regs guidance with respect to ooms dimensions and space quotes 11 cubic metres of space for each person. Could you use this figure as an argument ?
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2018 20:26:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

In reality guidance cant help. Lesson learned the hard way: Piece of kit relocated with access hatch 1.2m from wall - unfortunately this hatch was the means to insert/ extract a 2m drive shaft. So when it came time to change bearings we lost three days moving equipment to access a job that could have been completed in 4 hours. We now do a full assessment of the what ifs as well as the general advised maintenance when considering equipment locations.
thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 20/11/2018(UTC), nic168 on 20/11/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 20/11/2018(UTC), nic168 on 20/11/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 18 November 2018 20:26:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

In reality guidance cant help. Lesson learned the hard way: Piece of kit relocated with access hatch 1.2m from wall - unfortunately this hatch was the means to insert/ extract a 2m drive shaft. So when it came time to change bearings we lost three days moving equipment to access a job that could have been completed in 4 hours. We now do a full assessment of the what ifs as well as the general advised maintenance when considering equipment locations.
thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 20/11/2018(UTC), nic168 on 20/11/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 20/11/2018(UTC), nic168 on 20/11/2018(UTC)
hilary  
#9 Posted : 19 November 2018 11:16:50(UTC)
hilary

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Sounds familiar - lol!

matelot1965  
#10 Posted : 19 November 2018 19:51:23(UTC)
matelot1965

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
The 6P’s spring to mind here lol
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 19 November 2018 20:09:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

You can take the horse to water....

Unfortunately we have no horses but we do have plenty of Asses

Roundtuit  
#12 Posted : 19 November 2018 20:09:46(UTC)
Roundtuit

You can take the horse to water....

Unfortunately we have no horses but we do have plenty of Asses

RadolphSif  
#13 Posted : 20 November 2018 07:12:54(UTC)
RadolphSif

Thank you so much fir this kind of topic shared with us.