Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
FlashingBlade  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2018 14:49:15(UTC)
FlashingBlade

Hi all, 

I'm currently looking at new fire alarm systems for a number of our premises (manufacturing sites) and one of the installers is proposing using a wireless system to avoid the need to install cabling which obviously saves on labour cost but also due to the age of the building, wiring would be difficult (but not impossible). 

I've no experience of using such a system so looking for experiences of those that do. I suppose to some degree I might be prejudiced by the amount of time my home wifi drops out! 

chas  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2018 15:18:47(UTC)
chas

We had a wireless sytem installed in a Grade 1 listed building. The old wired system was well and truely out of date and in order to upgrade the whole system a wireless system seemed the best approach. There were initial concerns regarding the perceived effects of having very high voltage cables being close by and having very thick building walls, but these have proved not to be an issue. The system has been active for a couple of years and we have had no problems to date.    

FlashingBlade  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2018 16:35:24(UTC)
FlashingBlade

Thanks Chas, thats good to know. Part of my initial concern was the thickness of the walls and potential interference from potentially unshielded sources. The building we're looking at is from the mind 1800's, with walls that are 36" in places. 

tony.  
#4 Posted : 30 November 2018 07:29:24(UTC)
tony.

Any reputable company will visit site and carry out a radio survey. Effectively using the same type of equipment to measure likely transmission/ receiving strengths. Like intruder systems a mix of wired/wireless may be an option. Ie wired up each floor then wireless devices per floor Lots of options
AshCrane  
#5 Posted : 30 November 2018 10:34:48(UTC)
AshCrane

Hi,

My wife is a House Manager for the National Trust and I believe she looked into a wireless fire alarm system but as a previous post suggested, when they had a survey done for the signal strength due to the thickness of the walls/ distance and signal drops they concluded a wired approach whilst a costly endeavour to upgrade was more practical than a wireless option.

Messey  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2018 20:46:08(UTC)
Messey

Design & installation by a competent person is key as it can all go very wrong if left to cowboys.

A new PFI mental Health Unit was constructed in SE England and a wireless AFD system specified by the PFI Contractor. Installation costs would be far less for the profit making concern as of course, no power or data supplies/cabling are required. In addition, there was a closed protocol maintenance contract which meant that the NHS Trust had to buy batteries from the PFI company and nobody else. Watch those prices soar!

Come commisioning day, it appears  that the fire alarm designers & installation company didn't consider the design of the stud walling on the ward. It was plasterboard on galvanised steel studs reinforced by 2 layers of steel EMF mesh sheeting to stop clients kicking their way into their neighbours room. The mesh sheeting in practice created scores or Faraday cages which blocked all radio signals.

The NHS Trust had to install 40 to 50 booster aerials around the site, and even then there were routinely 40 faults showing. It took 5 years to iron out the issues

Lessons from this is dont just assess what is there now, but consider the design, materials and layout of the premises which is yet to be contructed