Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DaisyMaisy  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2018 17:42:44(UTC)
DaisyMaisy

Hi all - would appreciate your opinion.  Member of golf club slipped on step.  The steps were meshed for non slip surface across two thirds (centre) , member stepped on unmeshed section and slipped the spikes caught in the mesh and she fell back.  We are of course investigating and looking into meshing the entire steps - do you think this would be necessary? your thoughts appreciated.

JayPownall  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2018 18:36:22(UTC)
JayPownall

I suppose you can control the 'slip property' of the steps by meshing the entire step width - whereas you can't reasonably ensure members will walk down the two thirds mesh section; so to me your proposal seems pragmatic. If there were multiple slips etc going forward (or historically), then it would likely be time to look at a step re-design or additional measures to limit the risks. (This scenario played out at my golf club not so long ago, and full width anti-slip has worked fine). Jamie
thanks 1 user thanked JayPownall for this useful post.
DaisyMaisy on 22/11/2018(UTC)
DaisyMaisy  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2018 10:35:21(UTC)
DaisyMaisy

Originally Posted by: JayPownall Go to Quoted Post
I suppose you can control the 'slip property' of the steps by meshing the entire step width - whereas you can't reasonably ensure members will walk down the two thirds mesh section; so to me your proposal seems pragmatic. If there were multiple slips etc going forward (or historically), then it would likely be time to look at a step re-design or additional measures to limit the risks. (This scenario played out at my golf club not so long ago, and full width anti-slip has worked fine). Jamie

Thanks Jamie.  Yes my thoughts too.

tony.  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2018 11:47:26(UTC)
tony.

Not sure I understand why the meshing is necessary? What are the steps made from? Location- on the course or at the Clubhouse? Mesh and spikes together more of a risk? What's the mesh made from?
grim72  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2018 16:22:09(UTC)
grim72

Must admit the decision to use mesh when spiked footwear is involved does seem a bit of a hazard in itself? Might be better with the anti-slip stairnosing/covers instead which can also help with providing a visible inidcator of the steps for anyone with visibility impairments? Just my thoughts but I might be mis-understanding the set-up. A photo of the existing steps might help clarify.

Elfin Davy 09  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2018 16:44:22(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Mesh on steps up to elevated tees (outside) on golf courses is common.  Often it's because the "steps" have been dug out of the scenery, and made into steps by the use of wood/cinders/gravel etc by the ground staff.  The mesh keeps the steps stable and stops them breaking down.  It's also a much safer option for golfers wearing spikes than concrete steps (with no "give" for spikes to grip) would ever be.  Like the thought of hi vis anti-slip stair nosing on a golf course though  :-)

tony.  
#7 Posted : 23 November 2018 14:50:23(UTC)
tony.

Is this a diy mesh or a manufacturered product?
DaisyMaisy  
#8 Posted : 28 November 2018 19:17:13(UTC)
DaisyMaisy

Hi all thanks for your replies.  It is manufacturered mesh.  It is secure and tightly fastened.  We have since had meeting and are looking to replace with non slip yellow strips over period of time replacing all eventually, in meantime have posted warning of the hazard on our website and notice.  They are sleepers set into the banks.  Any other golf clubs have this problem?  accidents on steps?  we cannot of course predict every scenareo??  Information about the hazard obviously holds the issue that it may upset the injured person - no blame meant just want to warn others that it can happen

thanks all !!

tony.  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2018 20:58:32(UTC)
tony.

How does the golfer get their trolley up the steps, as they will be pulling this? Sorry is it fence mesh? Is there a handrail? I look after a few golf courses so keen to understand more
JayPownall  
#10 Posted : 29 November 2018 09:33:58(UTC)
JayPownall

Originally Posted by: tony. Go to Quoted Post
How does the golfer get their trolley up the steps, as they will be pulling this? Sorry is it fence mesh? Is there a handrail? I look after a few golf courses so keen to understand more

Assuming that the steps are to an elevated tee - they shouldn't need to pull their trolley up. Same goes for narrow bridges and walkways - choose your club, leave your trolley and walk.

tony.  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2018 08:07:52(UTC)
tony.

Thanks- the question was really aimed at the OP, who has the site knowledge
DaisyMaisy  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2018 10:26:38(UTC)
DaisyMaisy

thanks Tony - yes tees are elevated, trolleys are left on path when playing tees.

JayPownall  
#13 Posted : 30 November 2018 12:06:16(UTC)
JayPownall

Not that it made a difference to the answer you got.....steps on a golf course are for elevated tees or steeper banks - either which way you would leave your trolley and walk. I'll keep quiet in future!

DaveBridle  
#14 Posted : 30 November 2018 13:14:27(UTC)
DaveBridle

Trying to say on topic ...

Greenkeepers would/still do create a set of steps that allows players to access the elevate tee using railway sleeper style wooden beams.  This gave the course a better "look".

Over the years golf footwear has changed and years ago the golf shoes used to have screw-in metal spikes to allow the player to take their shots without slipping over on the grass.  Over the years "trends" and fashion have moved away from metal spikes to a more rubberised, moulded style "spike".  The old metal spikes used to rough-up the step surface so that slipping on the wooden steps was rare.

Now with the modern version on the footwear, that wear and tear on the step surface is not as pronounced therefore other solutions were required.  Hence the mesh being placed on the surface.  If I read the post correct the mesh would be the "chicken wire" stuff placed on the steps by the greenkeepers.

Your solution could be signage, roughing up the step surfaces, replacing the mesh with another suitable covering, a programme of regular clearing of algae, moss etc. or even a handrail.  it would be down to yourselves to decide what is suitable and practicable.

I would also look at what type of footwear the IP was wearing, were there spikes (either metal or rubberised) or were they wearng something else (trainers for example) that could have contributed to the fall.

Just my thoughts but hope it gives you something to consider...

tony.  
#15 Posted : 01 December 2018 14:00:12(UTC)
tony.

A company called safe tread- no connection Do a range of surface mount anti slip strips. greenkeepers could generally brush them down when they do the morning course set up to ensure they are free from grass cuttings.