Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
John Pritchard  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2018 15:29:05(UTC)
John Pritchard

Can anyone provide some definitive guidance on the distance required between sleeper cabins (bunker bins) on a working site?  At present, all the advice I have been given says undertake a site spcific risk asssment, which is fine, just wondered if there is a statute or at least a more specifiic set of guidance that is applicable.

I am specifically concerned with fire safety.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Steve e ashton  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2018 23:23:38(UTC)
Steve e ashton

I suspect the nearest you will get to authoritative standards will be the "model standards" for caravan parks. There are differing standards for holiday caravans and parmanent caravans. I think the latest set may have been 2008, although that may be out of date now. From recollection, the camping site regs which set the legal basis for the model standards were something like 1963..
Blackburn31728  
#3 Posted : 04 December 2018 08:00:56(UTC)
Blackburn31728

As far as i am awear this is treated just like a hotel room so no distance required so long as they have correct controls for fire arrangements, welfare etc then you can have as many as needed we had a cabin complex on Shetland with full welfare and washing facilities on for about 150 persons

paul reynolds  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2018 13:04:39(UTC)
paul reynolds

I would refer to  Fire prevention on Construction Site - The Joint Code of Practice on the Protection from Fire of construction site & buildings Undergoing Renovation

This will give you the requirements for both temporary buildings & temporary accommodation in regards to distanace and required fire resistance.