Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mersey  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2018 11:32:17(UTC)
Mersey

I've just had a right royal argument over this with management and have came out of the meeting more confused than ever.

My understanding is that dock levelers do not lift anything therefore PUWER. This is backed up on the AVIVA website. (Aparently there are some dock levelers that do lift people or goods? I've never seen one unless they are being confused with tail lifts on a truck?)

However,

Just read another article from "healthandsafetyatwork.com/content/dock-bay" which claim that they are subject to LOLER inspections

Whats the truth?

Thanks

O'Donnell54548  
#2 Posted : 29 November 2018 12:43:23(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Not an expert but I would imagine LOLER refers to it being a 'lifting operation', rather than lifting equipment, therefore LOLER inspections?.

chrisjames67  
#3 Posted : 29 November 2018 13:12:16(UTC)
chrisjames67

Hi, i am responsible for MHE equipment at my current employment and we do have the dock levellers inspection by the Insurance LOLER inspector and have LOLER reports written up. but you are correct, technically speaking dock levellers are not lifting equipment and do not come under LOLER. this is just something we do as an additional inspection.

suitable PUWER inspections will ensure compliance

regards

Chris

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2018 21:05:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

With chrisjames67

a dock "leveller" is about access to the rear of a vehicle i.e. a metal plate in its most simplistic form - as ours were electro-hydraulic so theoretically could "lift" anything placed upon them we had them assessed by the insurer who looked after the cranes, FLT's etc. just for a "pigeon hole" to keep equipment controls neat

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 03/12/2018(UTC), Kim Hedges on 03/12/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2018 21:05:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

With chrisjames67

a dock "leveller" is about access to the rear of a vehicle i.e. a metal plate in its most simplistic form - as ours were electro-hydraulic so theoretically could "lift" anything placed upon them we had them assessed by the insurer who looked after the cranes, FLT's etc. just for a "pigeon hole" to keep equipment controls neat

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 03/12/2018(UTC), Kim Hedges on 03/12/2018(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0  
#6 Posted : 30 November 2018 13:08:01(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

PUWER - Yes

LOLER - No as their primary function is not to lift anything other than itself. Its a moveable ramp!

thanks 1 user thanked Mr.Flibble2.0 for this useful post.
paul.skyrme on 03/12/2018(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2018 15:24:22(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Whilst I am not in a safety management position, I do not agree with the idea that Loading Ramps do not come under LOLER.  These marvelous devices lift both goods and people, often at the same time, so a six monthly inspection must surely be completed.  It's not rocket science to see a badly maintained lift will simply not work properly if it's not maintained at optimal levels of safety.  One incident is all it takes to completely ruin a previously good companies reputation, so why would you jepodise that?  

jodieclark1510  
#8 Posted : 03 December 2018 16:49:44(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Originally Posted by: Kim Hedges Go to Quoted Post

Whilst I am not in a safety management position, I do not agree with the idea that Loading Ramps do not come under LOLER.  These marvelous devices lift both goods and people, often at the same time, so a six monthly inspection must surely be completed.  It's not rocket science to see a badly maintained lift will simply not work properly if it's not maintained at optimal levels of safety.  One incident is all it takes to completely ruin a previously good companies reputation, so why would you jepodise that?  

It's not always quite so clear cut, it depends on what is considered their primary function, if it is not lifting or lowering, it won't be subject to LOLER. A ramp may not be considered as lifting or lowering equipment.

HSSnail  
#9 Posted : 04 December 2018 16:02:49(UTC)
HSSnail

Sorry but a dock leveller and a loading ramp are totally different beasts, and if you are using a dock level to lift things you are not using it correctly!

For me it’s another yes for PUWER and no for LOLAR.