Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DanielKellock  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2018 10:07:46(UTC)
DanielKellock

Hi,

We are a business tenant who is responsible for our plant under the terms of our lease, we have in house contractors who we've contracted to manage and maintain our plant and equipment. As the tenant we are looking to do a gas safety check audit.

I've never written a gas safety audit from a business tenant perspective and having trouble finding the balance between technical and monitoring questions, gas law is a fairlynew subject for me and not something I've been overly exposed to up to now.

So far I’ve gone through the gas safe register legislative, normative & informative document list and pulled the relevant legislation and noted the British and European standards that are relevant, looked through HSE L56 at the relevant regulations and our requirements under 18001/45001.

Does anyone have any advice on the category of questions and monitoring or a template that you've used in similar circumstances? .

Many thanks

Dan

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2018 10:17:45(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Just ask them (your contractors):

• “How are you going to keep us safe and prevent us from blowing up the building”. Expect them to give you a comprehensive answer which refers to all that documentation you have mentioned.
  • Ask them for details of which regulations etc they will be applying and how.
  • Ask them to demonstrate their competences (including training, experience, aptitude etc
  • Ask them about the emergency procedure they will follow if there is a gas leak. How would they turn off the supply and what they would do to reconnect it? 
  • Ask them if they have all of the kit they need on site or would they need to bring it on site. How quickly could they do that?