Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark-W  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2018 13:15:36(UTC)
Mark-W

Just having a quick read to pull out any relevant info and noticed that they survey 38,000 households every 3 months, so approx 15,000 a year. With over 27,000,000 households in the UK currently, if they started a programme of contacting every household once before starting again, by my calcs that would take 180 yrs.

With such a poor survey sample how can we accurately determine our stats. I know there will be some fancy equation to work it out but the sample size every 3 months seems very small.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2018 16:56:33(UTC)
A Kurdziel

38 000 looks like a large sample to me. General elections are predicted on smaller samples than that.

The National Statistical Office is very meticulous when it comes to stats and will pounce on anything that looks wrong. They are not above slagging of the government if they think that they are misusing or misinterpreting statistics.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Mark-W on 11/12/2018(UTC)
HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2018 08:10:26(UTC)
HSSnail

Lies dam lies and statistics as they say – and 38,000 every 3 months is 152,000 a year not 15,000 or were you just testing our maths?

Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2018 10:35:01(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: Brian Hagyard Go to Quoted Post

Lies dam lies and statistics as they say – and 38,000 every 3 months is 152,000 a year not 15,000 or were you just testing our maths?

No, not testing your maths, a case of typing to fast with fat fingers

UncleFester  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2018 11:00:35(UTC)
UncleFester

It is well known that 47% of all statistics are made up....

HSSnail  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2018 12:58:01(UTC)
HSSnail

When I looked at the post there were 100 views and only I commented on the Fat Finger slip – so you could say that statistically, only 1% of people noticed your slip, or only 1% of people were sad enough to comment!  I’m sure there are lots of other inferences you could draw – don’t you just love stats!