Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MJT110474  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2018 11:18:09(UTC)
MJT110474

Can someone please advise me on HAVS. I'm fairly clued up on the legal requirements of monitoring and health surveillance on HAVS, but when it comes to IITS, does the training have to be formal from a recognised body, or is an in house toolbox talk acceptable?

Secondly, manual handling training - is this a legal requirement, and if so, is refresher training legally required, and if so, how often?

I understand the difference between legally and morally correct, however, if I am to approach directors with further requirements to part with their money, I need something substantial to back that with. 

Thanks.

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2018 12:39:11(UTC)
Woolf13

In answer to your questions yes training is a legal requirement and applies to both HAVS and manual handling. Section 2 of the HSW Act and regulations 10 and 13 of the Management Regulations require employers to provide their employees with health and safety information and training. It does not have to be with an external body. However, those delivering the training should be learned in training techniques and competent to do so.

For HAVS depending on the findings of your risk assessment and level of exposure etc. you can provide the information, instruction and training in different ways, including:

(a) presentations;

(b) computer-based training;

(c) individual counselling and training;

(d) leaflets and posters;

(e) videos;

(f) short local training sessions.

No single way will be suitable for all circumstances and you will need to reinforce the messages from time to time, eg by giving ‘tool-box’ talks. You should draw employees’ attention to any relevant advice provided by HSE, trade associations etc.

For manual handling the HSE does not publish prescriptive guidance on what a 'good' manual handling training course should include or how long it should last. However, in general, courses should be suitable for the individual, tasks and environment involved, use relevant examples and last long enough to cover all the relevant information. Such information is likely to include advice on:

(a) manual handling risk factors and how injuries can occur;

(b) how to carry out safe manual handling, including good handling technique;

(c) appropriate systems of work for the individual's task and environment;

(d) use of mechanical aids; and

(e) practical work to allow the trainer to identify and put right anything the trainee is not doing safely

All training should be refreshed at suitabe intervals e.g. change of personnel, an accident occurring etc.

Edited by user 11 December 2018 12:40:28(UTC)  | Reason: Omission

MJT110474  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2018 14:01:09(UTC)
MJT110474

Thanks Woolf, I'm aware of the IITS aspects, I'm just struggling to find an external training provider for HAVS. I just wanted to check if we are ok with in house training, and if we have to have specific training ourselves to give toolbox talks (there is a wealth of experience, but no formal training on HAVS).

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2018 16:49:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I had to think about IITS then of course I saw that it means Information, Instruction, Training and Supervision.  I think that there are enough abbreviations about without adding more!  

SNS  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2018 23:34:04(UTC)
SNS

There is a plethora (word of the week) of information available on a google search for HAVS Toolbox Talk, I drew up my own many moons ago. It is challenging to make it interesting, I used a special sock for the audience to wear and then try to do up buttons, shoelaces, pick up coins etc as that gives a bit of a feel for the downstream effects of not observing reasonable controls.

Possibly more important is real life measurements of the tools and tasks, we regularly had readings over twice the manufacturers published guides.

MJT110474  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2018 07:55:01(UTC)
MJT110474

We already do TBT, have a lot of information on show on the safety notice boards, monitor usage and trigger times etc, but as I am due a visit from our favourite people, I just wanted clarification as to whether I need to get formal HAVS training for them (or myself), or whether TBT's are acceptable.

Thanks though, and I love the sock idea!

nic168  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2018 10:09:01(UTC)
nic168

SNS, can you elaborate on the special sock? I like this idea but not sure what you mean. 

Would a mitten suffice?