Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
boston  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2019 00:53:58(UTC)
boston

I attended a team building event recently paid for and organised by the company and run by a local hotel on their premises An employee was injured carrying out an activity. Who does the accident belong to. The hotel or my company. Would anyone record it on their stats.
peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2019 13:09:15(UTC)
peter gotch

Could be liability issues for both the company and the hotel. As for stats, there's a very old saying that many postings on this Forum prove.

Elfin Davy 09  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2019 09:20:30(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

It's your employee, and you organised the event, so the accident "belongs" to you in my opinion. 

However - and as Peter Gotch has already alluded to - the actual "liability" side of things could lie with the hotel OR be shared depending upon what the accident was and how it occurred.  Throw into the mix that it might have been "one of those things" (ie your employee simply tripped over their own feet for example), and you have several different scenarios. 

So long as the circumstances warrant it, I would sould suggest that you conduct a joint investigation with the hotel concerned in order to establish the facts.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2019 09:39:05(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As said you need to investigate this alongside (not necessarily jointly) with the venue.  One thing that you need to decide is whether accident happened due to circumstances within you control and if so what level of control you could exercise in those circumstances.  The venue will I assume have their own investigation but although they should cooperate, having an investigation jointly with the venue might not be a good idea since, of course, it would be in their interest to minimise any liability on their behalf.

As far as the statistics are concerned-who cares? The statistics that you collect should be used to enable you to manage your H&S system-or is it that you have a system where statistics are used as a stick with which to beat yourselves up with?

Oxford  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2019 14:54:04(UTC)
Oxford

Not long after I joined my current employer we had an employee slightly injured while doing Lazer Combat, at a someone elses' premises; when I looked into it w had not been provided with any details or risk assessment for the activity by the organisers, nor did we have a risk assessment to address team building exercises.

In the end I drew up an internal risk assessment for externally run events and in essence it states that employees must follow all instructions given by the organisers, and must also weaa the protective equipment provided. The RA also instructs staff to conider their own physical and psychological capability and to refuse to do activities about which they don't feel comfortable.

Don't forget that waivers issued by the organiser are pretty much worthless in the hands of a decent lawyer, and that 'volenti non fit injuria' can apply

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2019 10:27:35(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Oxford Go to Quoted Post

Not long after I joined my current employer we had an employee slightly injured while doing Lazer Combat, at a someone elses' premises; when I looked into it w had not been provided with any details or risk assessment for the activity by the organisers, nor did we have a risk assessment to address team building exercises.

In the end I drew up an internal risk assessment for externally run events and in essence it states that employees must follow all instructions given by the organisers, and must also weaa the protective equipment provided. The RA also instructs staff to conider their own physical and psychological capability and to refuse to do activities about which they don't feel comfortable.

Don't forget that waivers issued by the organiser are pretty much worthless in the hands of a decent lawyer, and that 'volenti non fit injuria' can apply

You mean 'volenti non fit injuria' does not apply-I think
Oxford  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2019 15:12:23(UTC)
Oxford

No I mean it can apply - if the event is work-related (i.e. organised by their employer), the attendees are given all the necessary information and are still willing to take part, then it will apply, provided the participants follow all the instructions given to them 
Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Oxford Go to Quoted Post

You mean 'volenti non fit injuria' does not apply-I think
gazbut  
#8 Posted : 01 February 2019 12:27:05(UTC)
gazbut

Hi all,

I have the exact same problem, unfortunately the employee has sustained a broken rib.

The fracture is automatic riddor but who reports it? employer or event site?

Regards

Gazbut

firesafety101  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2019 13:31:25(UTC)
firesafety101

I have attended team building where someone comes up with "something completely different" to quote Monty Python which can occasionally be compered with.

Because its so extraordinary it would never be risk assessed.  If this is the case you could be in trouble however, how do you risk assess the unimaginable