Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JL  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2019 12:00:19(UTC)
JL

A hypothetical scenario – An employee decides to make a trip across country in their own vehicle for company business, due to timings or admin failure no one checks to see if they have valid insurance or MOT prior to the journey. Given that these are already legal requirements for regular driving, could the employer be held responsible should an accident occur (is there any recent case studies for this) or does responsibility ultimatly sit with the driver.  

PH2  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2019 12:29:34(UTC)
PH2

An employer could be held (at least partly)  responsible if their employee is involved in a Road Traffic Accident. As an employer you should check driving licences (at least annually), private vehicles insured for Class A Business use, vehicles serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations, and the validity of any relevant MOT certificates also checked annually. There may also be a requirement for HazChem stickers for the vehicle (and additional training) depending on the goods being carried in the vehicle.  You should also have a relevant Driving At Work policy and risk assessments, irrespective of whether a private vehicle or company vehicle is used. .

Neither the police nor a court would accept "timings or an admin' failure" as valid excuses, if these were not carried out.

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2019 12:34:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Unlikely that the employer would have any liability (certainly none under Road Traffic Laws) but a tenuous possibility under PUWER (car classed as work equipment? Look at Guidance to the ACoP on page 10. Employer still has duties if people who use their own work equipment but this depends on level of control). I think it is unlikely but as this is hypothetical…

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
JL on 18/01/2019(UTC)
chris.packham  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2019 13:46:50(UTC)
chris.packham

Would it not depend on (a) stated company policy about the use of private vehicles for company business and (b) whether the company had authorisation for the use of his/her vehicle for that journey and/or whether the company was aware that that what was he was doing. If they decided to use their own vehicle without the company authorising or being aware of this could they reasonably be held accountable?

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
nic168 on 21/01/2019(UTC)
jwk  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2019 14:10:34(UTC)
jwk

Mmm, yes, while I agree with most of what has been said in general terms, does it apply JL's hypothetical scenario; 'An employee decides to make a trip across country...'? Looks to me like this is a person who is not expected to drive, and who makes their own decision to use their own car. In these circumstances I can't see the employer having very much in the way of a duty of care.

In my previous post we had about 20,000 volunteers. Many of them were expected to drive; we checked their licences and so on. The rest we knew might drive occasionally, but we didn't ask or require them to. We carried out no checks on these drivers. The same applied to our employees. Everyone in employment who has a driving licence and a car might drive on work business; this doesn't necessarily make them work drivers. To be more specific; would you expect to have carried out driver checks on an office administrator who might (might) nip to Tesco (other supermarkets are available) once in a blue moon to get a pint of milk? I wouldn't.

So in JL's case, I think the employer would have had no foreknoweledge of what the employee was going to do, and by the sounds of things had not required them to drive, so no duty of care,

John

Edited by user 17 January 2019 14:11:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
JL on 18/01/2019(UTC)
Dave5705  
#6 Posted : 17 January 2019 14:22:37(UTC)
Dave5705

Originally Posted by: jwk Go to Quoted Post

Mmm, yes, while I agree with most of what has been said in general terms, does it apply JL's hypothetical scenario; 'An employee decides to make a trip across country...'? Looks to me like this is a person who is not expected to drive, and who makes their own decision to use their own car. In these circumstances I can't see the employer having very much in the way of a duty of care.

In my previous post we had about 20,000 volunteers. Many of them were expected to drive; we checked their licences and so on. The rest we knew might drive occasionally, but we didn't ask or require them to. We carried out no checks on these drivers. The same applied to our employees. Everyone in employment who has a driving licence and a car might drive on work business; this doesn't necessarily make them work drivers. To be more specific; would you expect to have carried out driver checks on an office administrator who might (might) nip to Tesco (other supermarkets are available) once in a blue moon to get a pint of milk? I wouldn't.

So in JL's case, I think the employer would have had no foreknoweledge of what the employee was going to do, and by the sounds of things had not required them to drive, so no duty of care,

John

Agree with John, (went through this a short while ago) If the employer has not instructed the employee to drive and did not know he was going to drive then there is no duty of care.
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 17 January 2019 20:23:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

If the employer determined the need to be elsewhere they should also consider how the employee gets there and back without transport, and if transport is required what form it should take - bus, train, taxi, hire-car, company car etc.
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 17 January 2019 20:23:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

If the employer determined the need to be elsewhere they should also consider how the employee gets there and back without transport, and if transport is required what form it should take - bus, train, taxi, hire-car, company car etc.
Acorns  
#9 Posted : 18 January 2019 06:52:38(UTC)
Acorns

In opart I would agree with JWk about the occasional driver popping out for milk not being a work driver. However, a much clearer case might be popping out to do the post and typically its the same person doing it more than once  and the employee not being insured for business use.  The company would readily come under being a user and all that goes with it.  Its deciding what happens if or when it goiues wrong or they get stopped and the fine detail comes into question.  we could add our own little nuance to the OP scenario to push the answer either way 

thanks 1 user thanked Acorns for this useful post.
jwk on 18/01/2019(UTC)
chas  
#10 Posted : 18 January 2019 08:43:22(UTC)
chas

The company could be held to account if they were found to 'cause or permit' an employee to drive a car without a MOT, adequate insurance etc. You may find ROSPA's guidance of interest, especially page 2.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/employers/work-own-vehicles.pdf

thanks 2 users thanked chas for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/01/2019(UTC), nic168 on 21/01/2019(UTC)
jwk  
#11 Posted : 18 January 2019 14:03:34(UTC)
jwk

Hi Chas,

Anybody can be guilty of causing or permitting, but I've not yet heard it being applied to an employer for what is in effect casual, even unauthorised use. If the employer had no knowledge they could not be said to cause or permit,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
JL on 18/01/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#12 Posted : 18 January 2019 15:06:02(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Having looked at the guidance from RosPA it seems they believe that there is Active Duty to manage all company driving including use of own vehicles. I always assumed that the duty in relation to own vehicles was a Passive Duty not to make/instruct/compel people to drive too fast, use the mobile phone on the road etc. Has this been tested in court or is it one of those assumptions that people make?

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
JL on 18/01/2019(UTC)
JL  
#13 Posted : 18 January 2019 15:55:25(UTC)
JL

thanks all, I guess in order to be safe employers should have a robustly communicated set of expectations when driving own vehicles for work, I would still be interested to see if this has been tested in the courts.

Acorns  
#14 Posted : 19 January 2019 19:54:19(UTC)
Acorns

Originally Posted by: jwk Go to Quoted Post
Anybody can be guilty of causing or permitting, but I've not yet heard it being applied to an employer for what is in effect casual, even unauthorised use. If the employer had no knowledge they could not be said to cause or permit
Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Having looked at the guidance from RosPA it seems they believe that there is Active Duty to manage all company driving including use of own vehicles. I always assumed that the duty in relation to own vehicles was a Passive Duty not to make/instruct/compel people to drive too fast, use the mobile phone on the road etc. Has this been tested in court or is it one of those assumptions that people make?

The Use cause or permit are quite specific, a USER is the easiest one to apply and for our employee  and employer it starts to get sticky as soon as they drive for or in relation to the company - the owner and company are USING the vehicle.  Causing is far more difficult for a company owned vehicle, let alone an employee's one,- causing is when the company (for example) knows the vehicle is uninsured and yet causes or makes the employee drive it - perhaps with the threat of dismissal if they fail to do so.  PERMIT is equally challenging  where the meployer is blaise about knowing the employee has no insurance and casually allows it to continue.  If we reversed the question - how would an employer explain that the employee  and vehicle were NOT being USED by the company, when the employee and vehicle were being driven in work time, mileage being paid for the company's purposes etc, with each element being a link to the company being (or potentially being) a user - remember there can be more than one user of the vehicle at the same time. Will te company always be convcicted, perhaps not, but by that stage they have expended a huge amount of time, effort, money and reputation trying to get out of  something that is so easy to resolve. 
mikecarr  
#15 Posted : 21 January 2019 11:07:22(UTC)
mikecarr

We are going  through this at the moment.  I think if we are asking people to travel for work then we have some duty of care. Even if it's a s simple policy stating you must have the correct insurance, licence MOT etc if using your own vechile for work. I'm sure the first corporate manslaughter prosecution was driving realted?

achrn  
#16 Posted : 21 January 2019 13:32:48(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: mikecarr Go to Quoted Post

We are going  through this at the moment.  I think if we are asking people to travel for work then we have some duty of care. Even if it's a s simple policy stating you must have the correct insurance, licence MOT etc if using your own vechile for work. I'm sure the first corporate manslaughter prosecution was driving realted?

I think some duty of care - making staff aware that they are repsonsible for having appropriate insurance etc (i.e. that the company does not provide it) is certainly true.  However, can anyone that's claiming that a company should check driving licences regularly, should verify insurance small print etc. cite any case where a court has held this to be true?  I know the companies that sell driving-licence checks think you should do it frequently, but is tehre any sign that the courts agree?

First corporate manslaughter case was Cotswold Geotechnical, I think - driving was not relevant.

Acorns  
#17 Posted : 21 January 2019 19:04:56(UTC)
Acorns

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

I think some duty of care - making staff aware that they are repsonsible for having appropriate insurance etc (i.e. that the company does not provide it) is certainly true.  However, can anyone that's claiming that a company should check driving licences regularly, should verify insurance small print etc. cite any case where a court has held this to be true?  I know the companies that sell driving-licence checks think you should do it frequently, but is tehre any sign that the courts agree?

First corporate manslaughter case was Cotswold Geotechnical, I think - driving was not relevant.

you should do it frequently, but is tehre any sign that the courts agree?

Simply making an employee aware of their responsibility is passing the buck and trying to avoid the company responsibility.  Checking insurance small print is a red herring.  We don't need to do more than you or I might do when we receive our own insurance - does it cover us for driving for business, and its a pretty clear comment on all insurances I've seen.  If the company is asking an employee to drive or expecting a task to be done and avoiding the issue of how its done (Trying to avoid asking about their driving status), then they are trying to avoid their responsibility.  Its little if any different to company's being prosecuted for USING a company vehicle when the driver does not have the correct licence.  The key question is how the contract works between the employee-employer.  As far as court cases goes, they are not as rare as you may think.  I'm familiar with the cascade effect of employee having collision in own car driving for the company, the employee insurance reduces to 3rd party and sothe arguments begin, and the first to be called into the dispute are the employers. As is often the case, most are resolved outside of court.  Pro-actively checking grey fleet docs is so easy, vital even, for such little effort but when it goes wrong the consequences can be massive.  As a little test, perhaps some forum members might like to call their company brokers and say "we have some employee's driving their own vehicles and do odd jobs for the comapny but its okay we don't bother to document it and don't bother checking their d/l, ins, MOT etc or any other checks or information"  I look forwad to feedback on the brokers' view of the company's approach to risk.

thanks 2 users thanked Acorns for this useful post.
Dave5705 on 21/01/2019(UTC), JL on 21/01/2019(UTC)
Dave5705  
#18 Posted : 21 January 2019 20:27:33(UTC)
Dave5705

I agree. I don't think its enough to just communicate expectations, I think the company should check the insurance and all other documents before allowing someone to drive while at work, and keep a note of insurance renewal dates and such. The only expectation left on the employee should be to communicate any changes or mid term renewals. I think that would be enough to demonstrate duty was upheld.

achrn  
#19 Posted : 22 January 2019 13:29:12(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: AcornsConsult Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

I know the companies that sell driving-licence checks think you should do it frequently, but is tehre any sign that the courts agree?

Simply making an employee aware of their responsibility is passing the buck and trying to avoid the company responsibility. 

That is begging the question, in the precise technical sense.

You are attempting to prove that the company has a responsibility by starting from the assumption that the company has a responsibility.  If the company doesn't have a responsibility, then it clearly isn't passing the buck since there is no buck to pass, so it fails as a logical argument (whether or not teh responsibility exists).  That is, you can't demonstrate that they have a responsibility by saying that they must have a reponsibility because if they didn't accept the responsibility they would be shirking the reponsibility they have.

So I'm back to asking is there any basis for saying that a company should regularly check insurances other than starting from an assumption that the company should regularly check insurances?

I don't believe that telling an employee that they must only drive their car for business if they have arranged appropriate insurance is "avoiding the issue of how its done" - an employee who has received that instruction and goes on to drive their own car is specifically acting against explicit instructions of the employer.

I agree that it's little different to an employee using a company vehicle that they are not licensed or insured to use - but if the employee has been explicitly and unambiguously instructed not to use that vehicle and does so anyway would the court hold the company liable?  When someone steals my car and goes joy-riding round the town, will I be prosecuted for them driving without insurance?  If they steal a company vehicle will the company be prosecuted?

Edited by user 22 January 2019 13:30:47(UTC)  | Reason: mesed up quoting - tried again

Acorns  
#20 Posted : 24 January 2019 01:23:09(UTC)
Acorns

achrn, your pretty much on the mark, but you have incuded some actionsthat many fail to do - communicate with staff the company's expectations and how driving for the company will be managed.  On he last bit about an employee takig a company vehicle without consent or taking it with consent but perhaps not having the correct driving licence. 

In the former its much like a child taking mum & dad's car our for a joy ride - they can either say it was taken without consent with the child being prosecuted to the TWOC (not theft) or to avoid that charge, they say thatyes they gave the child permission, in which case the registered keeper / owner gets procesuted for the using offences. For the employe driving the company vehicle without the appropriate licnce, then the copany can expect to be prosecuted for using offences unless they can show the steps they took to avoid the offence - most commonly doing the basic DVLA online checks before handing over the keys. I doesn't take much to get it right (ish) but doing nothing should not be an option.