Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nomiracle  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2019 13:09:11(UTC)
nomiracle

Hello,

This is my first post on here so please go easy on me, I'm a former mechanical fitter/fridge engineer that unfortunately due to an accident at work 3 years ago (contributory negligence... a long story) I'm not working and so decided to pursue a career in H&S which started with me studying towards Nebosh Nat Gen Cert which I'm confidently awaiting my final GC1 exam results after a second sitting and I've already passed 2/3 as well as IOSH Managing Safely. I want to go on to Diploma status to open more doors and I've already started studying towards this although not officially as due to being on a very low income I can't afford either the Nebosh or NCRQ route at this present time and so I'm hoping that I can get a start in the industry based upon a Nebosh cert and 25+ years experience in Oil and Gas. My question is if anybody can help , Is there any other recognised short courses that I could take to both further my knowledge and to 'bling' my CV? I've taken some ROSPA /CPD certified courses in COSHH, manual handling, working at heights, risk assessment awareness and fire training but I was hoping that there may be some other short (ish) courses that would Improve my chances of gaining employment. Any help would be gratefully appreciated including any general help with getting a foothold within the industry at the age of 50!

Thanks in advance.

SNS  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2019 22:03:31(UTC)
SNS

Good luck in your endeavors. Well done for the Gen Cert.

Have you done any training delivery? Maybe look at AET (Award in Education and Training) [used to be PTLLS] level 3.

Depending which region you are in you might get funding support for a career change due to injury - ask at the local jobcentre.

Its mostly stepping stones, the challenge with getting any job is getting an interview, tailor any CV for the job being applied for.

Are you able to get to IOSH meetings? good for networking and information.

Once again, well done so far and good luck.

thanks 2 users thanked SNS for this useful post.
nomiracle on 19/01/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 21/01/2019(UTC)
nomiracle  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2019 22:36:36(UTC)
nomiracle

Thanks SNS, that's very helpful as it's an area I hadn't considered, yes a few years ago I delivered training for an engineering company and thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit if I were to consider it again I'd have to regain some confidence first, but I'm sure I'd cope. I didn't know about the AET and it's something I'll be following up on so thanks for the info. I'll also check with my local jobcentre about funding. I'll keep you updated here. Many thanks again.
A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 21 January 2019 10:08:13(UTC)
A Kurdziel

AET is very useful. “Knowing” Health and Safety is one thing but being able to deliver it within an organisation is another. Remember if you have the confidence to explain Health and Safety to a group of strangers you can also pitch H&S to management and, if you think about it, during a job interview.   The “soft skills” are key to delivering H&S.  Go for it and good luck!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
nomiracle on 22/01/2019(UTC)
fairlieg  
#5 Posted : 21 January 2019 10:25:48(UTC)
fairlieg

Depending where you are in the UK you can get help funding your studies (also depending on where you plan to study).  Obviously there are conditions etc.  There are many post grad level courses in Oil and Gas and also Environmental, Occupational Health and Safety.  Sustainability and CSR are now playing a bigger part in industry, you might want to take a look at that to get yourself a boost above other candidates as you already have 25 years industry experience to talk to.

https://www.gov.uk/funding-for-postgraduate-study

https://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/sas9.pdf

Edited by user 21 January 2019 10:27:28(UTC)  | Reason: spelling..... its always spelling

thanks 1 user thanked fairlieg for this useful post.
nic168  
#6 Posted : 21 January 2019 10:29:07(UTC)
nic168

the ability to deliver  tool box talks etc is invaluable, most colleges offer some form of basic training in delivering training to adults- it used to be calleded PTTLLS ( Prepaering to teach in the The life Long Learning sector) SNS calls it AET, but I have a notion at the back of my mind that there is another one out there.........

Manual Handling instructor courses are short and really useful, First aid delivery is another area where there is a constant demand for services.

Look at things to bolt on to your NeBOSH Cert- The Fire certificate would be good as this is a hot topic.

Occupational Health is another area to  look at, the Nebosh Certificate only touches on that area and it is worth looking at

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
nomiracle  
#7 Posted : 21 January 2019 22:44:10(UTC)
nomiracle

Thanks evrybody for your valuable input, I'm now in the process of booking a Level 3 Award in Education and Training (C&G 6502) course with my local college as It does appear that this is something that could tip the scales in my favour. I've also considered your other thoughts on subjects such as Fire and Environmental and I'll be pursuing these at some point. My first concern is to gain employment within the field which I'm not anticipating to be easy at my age and despite my years of experience the only real 'bit of paper' I'll posess (apart from an undergrad diploma in design from some years back!) is a Nebosh Cert and I get the feeling that I'll have to be very lucky to land a job with only that in hand. Again, thank you all and in the meantime if anything changes I'll keep you updated here.

nic168  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2019 10:29:42(UTC)
nic168

you may feel you aer lacking in paper qualifications, but you seem to be well endowed with enthusiasm and experience in a wide area.

I know its harder for us oldies somethimes to recognise the skills and experience we have- you need to sit  down and think about what you have done and how this transleates into the world of Safety.

You clrearly have a mechanical/ engineering interest, plus experience in Oils and Gases. that gives you a definite advantage.  You also have IT skills and are not afraid to ask for advice- both real pluses for a smart employer. Incidentally a lot of them ask for NeBOSH certificate or similar, add a few things on that they have not heard of and you will dazzle!

good luck

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
nomiracle  
#9 Posted : 22 January 2019 11:23:02(UTC)
nomiracle

Thanks nic168, that's something I'm hoping to do and you've given me a little more confidence especially with your last statement! It's funny you should mention IT skills as I was just brushing up on my Microsoft Excel knowledge as it's an area I lack a little in yet it's something of a requirement in most industries nowadays. Yes I think when you get to a certain age you forget that you actually have a wealth of experience across industries and life in general and yet these are the qualities that are required to succeed. Very uplifting, thank you!

Mark-W  
#10 Posted : 22 January 2019 11:43:35(UTC)
Mark-W

It might be a bit late but rather than conduct just the teaching qual at college, become a first aid instructor, you then get the FA qual and a teaching qual at the same time. Makes more sense. 

I used NUCO for my first aid qual. Great people to work with and once your teaching the support they give is great. Only downside, buying all the first aid equipment to teach, I reckon I'm in for about £2.5K but that includes laptop to teach, projector, trg aids (dolls and defibs) but the rewards are great and the money isn't bad either

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
nomiracle  
#11 Posted : 22 January 2019 11:57:38(UTC)
nomiracle

Thanks Mark, I've just checked and the two courses your'e mentioning don't seem to cost much more than the teaching qual on its own, definetly something to consider. It may have to be something I'd consider after primarily getting back into work so that I could fund myself for the equipment as you stated yet It's definately something that I could see myself doing. Thank you, so many options!