Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Harmonist  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2019 09:15:36(UTC)
Harmonist

We are currently moving our ofice around and I would like some advice on its current layout.

The image attatched shows the current layout. Is the current gap between the desks compliant?

My manager thibk it should be a minimum of a 1m gap at any point although i think we'd really struggle to achieve that due to the size of the room.

Harmonist  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2019 09:24:07(UTC)
Harmonist

https://imgur.com/a/zZSaYxJ

Link to very crude drawing of the office.

Mark-W  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2019 09:52:21(UTC)
Mark-W

I've had this problem before. I ggogled min size for a desk. This then gives you desk sizes and space around each desk. I know you need 11cu/m per employee in an office environment. I've also seen a min amount of floorspace as well but can't find that currently.

Have a look at the link below and see if you comply

https://www.houseplanshelper.com/desk-dimensions.html

Harmonist  
#4 Posted : 06 February 2019 10:00:46(UTC)
Harmonist

Thanks for that Ive had a look however it doesnt tell me what the minimum amount of space is I would need between the two desks.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2019 10:05:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

BS5588 gave absolute minimum 60cm allowing 90cm for wheel chair users BUT general practice is as your manager indicated 100cm - replaced by BS9999

Looking at your sketch and the location of the door I would place both desks facing each other (rotating the top L) so that both occupants have clear unfettered access and egress

Edited by user 06 February 2019 10:11:55(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2019 10:05:52(UTC)
Roundtuit

BS5588 gave absolute minimum 60cm allowing 90cm for wheel chair users BUT general practice is as your manager indicated 100cm - replaced by BS9999

Looking at your sketch and the location of the door I would place both desks facing each other (rotating the top L) so that both occupants have clear unfettered access and egress

Edited by user 06 February 2019 10:11:55(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Harmonist  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2019 10:26:29(UTC)
Harmonist

Thanks for that Roundtuit.The problem we have is one of the desks is the financial controllers so her screen cannot be visible to anyone walking in and as my manager brought the wrong desks (both left handed) we cant butt them up against each other. So im trying to come up with a plan that satisifies 3 tests. 1) One of the PC screens is not visible from the door. 2) There is an adequete amount of room to comply with regulations. 3) The desks are positioned so that the users are not facing a wall.

Although im starting to think its impossible to meet these 3 tests given the size of the room (360cm x 330cm) and type of desks.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2019 10:50:53(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: Harmonist Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for that Roundtuit.The problem we have is one of the desks is the financial controllers so her screen cannot be visible to anyone walking in and as my manager brought the wrong desks (both left handed) we cant butt them up against each other. So im trying to come up with a plan that satisifies 3 tests. 1) One of the PC screens is not visible from the door. 2) There is an adequete amount of room to comply with regulations. 3) The desks are positioned so that the users are not facing a wall.

Although im starting to think its impossible to meet these 3 tests given the size of the room (360cm x 330cm) and type of desks.

So your manager's mistake is now your problem!

Why can't the financial controller just turn off her screen when they are not using it? You can also fit direction filters to the screen so that only the person directly in front to the screen can read what is on the screen.

Harmonist  
#9 Posted : 06 February 2019 11:06:34(UTC)
Harmonist

After stealing some room behind my desk (gap between desk and wall is now 65cm) Ive increased the gap between the two desks, at its narrowest point, to 65cm.

Melrose80086  
#10 Posted : 06 February 2019 11:53:09(UTC)
Melrose80086

Is there not enough space to move the desk that's currently on the right to directly opposite the other desk and have the filing cabinets along the right wall? That way they are facing each other with the back edge of each desk meeting. Can put up a privacy board along the back edge of the desk if the don't want to face each other but they wouldn't be facing a wall....or am I missing something obvious from the diagram...

chris42  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2019 12:06:59(UTC)
chris42

The issue is can the people in the area get out in case of fire etc. Realistically the doorway to my office is 75cm, so only 10 cm more. There are generally only two of you in there lets be practical about this, yes the manager is a bit of a muppet for buying the wrong desk, but it sounds like its liveable with this way, and should not hinder escape or general movement. Are you actually having problems with the gap? If it is actually hindering your work by having to go through a gap that is over two feet wide then someone is getting a new desk.

Aren’t we supposed to be practicable about things nowadays?