Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Boden31904  
#1 Posted : 12 February 2019 15:46:24(UTC)
Boden31904

Hi all,

I am about to take on a 2 year contract with a large site. To take on this role I have started a limited company but I am a one man band. I fear the agency organising the contract is trying to over-sell me stuff that I don't need.

I was under the impression that I just needed indemnity insurance. This is just an advisory role. I have no employees, no premises, no equipment and carry out no activities. I also do nothing that can affect the public.

Yet the agency has advised me (with a convenient contact number and name) that I need INDEMNITY INSURANCE, PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE and EMPLOYERS LIABILITY INSURANCE!!!!!!

Is there anyone here in a similar role that can advise please? Many thanks, Lee

Mark-W  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2019 15:58:57(UTC)
Mark-W

In my experience you won't need employers liability as you are not an employer, you say it's an advisory role. But could the advice you give have an effect on members of the public? 

Boden31904  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2019 16:00:58(UTC)
Boden31904

It is a closed site so very unlikely (Power Plant). However, I thought Indemnity covered my advice?

Originally Posted by: Mark-W Go to Quoted Post

In my experience you won't need employers liability as you are not an employer, you say it's an advisory role. But could the advice you give have an effect on members of the public? 

Gerry Knowles  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2019 16:17:05(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

When we first set up as a consultancy (limited company) we only had professional indemnity and employers liability insurance (we needed EL as there were two of us).  Over the years as we took on more work we were required by the contracts we signed to have public and product liability cover.  In essence these were not always required but if we wanted the the work we needed to get the cover.  Over the last eleven years we have paid out quite a bit for cover and like a lot of companies we never needed to claim.  I guess the point I am making is sometimes we as consultants have to follow the requirements of the people we are going to work (who sometimes make up their own rules) for just to get the work. A case of "who pays the piper calls the tune".