Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Charlie Brown  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2019 08:58:09(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Hello,

I am in the process of helping a charity sort out their H&S shortfalls and have always included things like dishwashing liquid and surface cleaner in the coshh registers of other places I have worked but is this really neccesary or do we think it is a bit ott?

Thanks

Charlie

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2019 09:05:54(UTC)
HSSnail

Depends on the chemical – there are some pretty nasty household products out there, and don’t forget (apologies if it sounds like im trying to teach you to suck eggs) COSHH is about the way the chemical is used so filling a dishwasher once a day or filling it 20 times a day will carry very different hazards/risks even if the same product is used.
thanks 2 users thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/02/2019(UTC), Charlie Brown on 13/02/2019(UTC)
Mark-W  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2019 09:21:20(UTC)
Mark-W

Yes, as stated above. for example washing up liquid used in a residential location causes no or little harm. If you work in a kitchen and are up to your elbows in washing up for 4 hours a day then there are risks and harm involved.

Washing up liquid is a degreaser, minor use is no issue but for hours your skin will suffer.

thanks 1 user thanked Mark-W for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 13/02/2019(UTC)
jwk  
#4 Posted : 13 February 2019 09:29:13(UTC)
jwk

COSHH isn't about substances; its about work. If your work exposes you to risk from substances then a COSHH assessment may be needed. I've worked in the voluntary sector for the last twenty-odd years, at times in organisations which provide residential and nursing care. We never did COSHH assessments for ordinary household substances, though on the whole we discouraged the use of concentrated bleach. But as others have said, think about the work your people are doing and take your guide from that,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 13 February 2019 09:31:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What’s a COSHH register?

Being a bit faux naïve there! As I said this should be about risk assessment and including the COSHH aspects in that risk assessment.  What you should not need to do is to create an unwieldly database containing information lifted from the SDS’s. Just do a risk assessment for the process that you do taking into account the level of exposure eg washing up once a day vs 20 times a day and remember ( as Chris will probably tell us at some point) even water with enough exposure is a hazardous substance.  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
jwk  
#6 Posted : 13 February 2019 09:37:28(UTC)
jwk

Water... We had people with contact dermatitis from water (aka trench foot), they got wet feet helping people to use the showers and never really had the chance to dry themselves. It was a real problem getting hold of the SDS I'll tell you,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
chris.packham  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2019 10:20:49(UTC)
chris.packham

Some good comments here. However, keep in mind that the risk assessment only deals with the potential for harm to occur. What is the more important aspect of COSHH is the C-word - Control! Let's not get bogged down with extensive, complex risk assessments for domestic chemicals. Simply ensuring that there are proper work procedures, e.g. wearing gloves when washing dishes (with cotton liners to prevent hyperhydrosis if worn for longer periods) etc. is far more productive, also that those using them understand that the guidance is for their benefit so that they use it.

Chris

thanks 4 users thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/02/2019(UTC), jwk on 13/02/2019(UTC), Charlie Brown on 13/02/2019(UTC), webstar on 13/02/2019(UTC)
firesafety101  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2019 11:12:16(UTC)
firesafety101

happy birthday Chris

Charlie Brown  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2019 12:41:41(UTC)
Charlie Brown

Thanks for all your comments.

It goes to show that sometimes we do need a bit of a paradigm shift.

I spent all my working life in heavy machinery and the plant hire industry, initially as a service engineer then in depot management and QHSE management.

When I got into QHSE, coshh registers and assessments were part of the company systems I worked with at the time and if I am honest I can not say I ever saw an employee ever read or refer to a coshh assessment.

Including the controls in the risk assessments makes much more sense, as does encouraging the user to read the label before use.

In the case of the charity I am helping, there are 8 workers and they are there for 3 days a week so not going to be a lot of exposure anyway.