Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Carter33757  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2016 14:50:03(UTC)
Carter33757

I was wondering what members experience is of the vast arrays of safety software out there in the market place. I work for a medium size business say 300 employees based in UK and need to look at what is on the market predominantly to record incidents and carryout risk assessments initially. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Binniem  
#2 Posted : 09 February 2016 15:09:09(UTC)
Binniem

I work for one of the largest companies in the food industry, and we still use forms made on Microsoft Word and Excel It's simple and effective!
jodieclark1510  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2016 15:18:47(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Same as Binniem here, over 200 sites and 5000+ employees
JayPownall  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2016 15:26:32(UTC)
JayPownall

...i've previously used Datix software, widely used in NHS trusts and alike. I think it can be quite costly however and would require a bit of user training...as you say plenty out there and MS Excel can be just as good some times.
aud  
#5 Posted : 09 February 2016 15:36:39(UTC)
aud

Agree with Binniem. Beware software! This will not 'carry out risk assessments'. It may well record the findings, but then so will anything - paper or good old Word. Do not be seduced by snazzy colour matrices. Never found one that would manage accident data the way I wanted it, so usually do my own on excel via paper forms - certainly for a company of 300. (how many accidents do you actually have?) Be clear about what it is you are trying to achieve. Records? Analysis? Reports? Control . . . ooer! Summarise your needs (or draw a picture) on a single A4 sheet. Then see if Word and Excel will do.
thanks 1 user thanked aud for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 13/02/2019(UTC)
Ron Hunter  
#6 Posted : 09 February 2016 16:29:53(UTC)
Ron Hunter

Over 20+ years in this Industry I think my experiences with these systems is best summed up as "bitter frustration and disappointment". Often promise the earth, and routinely fail to deliver. 300 employees? Stick with spreadsheets.
firesafety101  
#7 Posted : 13 February 2019 11:39:23(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi, I was starting a new topic but 'Computer told me there was already one the same' so I'll post here.

Hi, this follows my recent post re Whistleblowing and may have been discussed before.  If so please direct me to the topic.

Question is what do the risk assessors think about PC software for risk assessments and I include fire risk assessments as well as all the others.

My view is I would rather rely on my own judgement when assessing for fire hazards and risks.  I have most of the documents relating to the subject and can always pick one up and research to satisfy myself I am right.  Never work without my information to hand.

I have trialled some PC based software and my personal thoughts are assessments should be carried out by the individuals doing the work but with guidance from someone competent rather than a machine that thinks it covers all angles but may not.

Thank you

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 13 February 2019 12:14:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I suppose that software can prompt you to ask the right questions but I have never seen something that will produce something that I could deem ‘suitable and sufficient’.  With these all singing and dancing pieces of software, what tends to happened is you enter some details, tick some boxes and it says something generic  like more training required.  It is usually based on the assumption that all problems are down to operator error not management failure (it is of course the managers that buy this stuff)

Software can be useful for managing some of the actions. For example in the last job me and the IT department came up with an Access database based system (for nothing more than a cup of coffee) that staff used to report incidents and then I would do the legwork of investigating and following up and all the system did was record what I had done and keep all of the bits together on the database. It did not do anything like try to establish root causes (I did that)

It was useful, as I could then down load all the reports every quarter onto a spreadsheet and then use this to create pretty graphs for the quarterly reports which kept management happy.

For recording risk assessment I started to use document control software introduced, by the quality team, to help manage the ISO 9001 system. People did the risk assessment , I checked them on the system and ‘authorised’ them if they were ok sent them back if not and then the system sent nagging emails to people who had not reviewed their risk assessments after a year.

It worked but I did the leg work.

I was quite proud of our little system and then another agency showed us what they had bought. It was good, but essentially did the same as my improvisations. It had cost them about 100 grand and need about 20 grands of support per year.  I felt I had gotten the better deal!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
firesafety101 on 13/02/2019(UTC)
Gerry Knowles  
#9 Posted : 13 February 2019 15:11:52(UTC)
Gerry Knowles

In over 20 years working in risk management.  I have always used and recommended that the simplest and best way of recording incidents and injuries and conducting risk assessments is on paperbased documents.  It is cheap and easy to maintain and they can be stored and distributed on an inhouse computer system. 

Graphs of incident and injury data can easliy be created from a spread sheet and can be updated simply and effectively.

Doing risk assessments with the people who do the job and their managers always provides a better outcome for all concerned than a tickbox bit of software which produces generic statements.

It is easy to see why the software based solutions are becoming more popular as we live in an electronic world where everything must be done faster and cheaper.  The move to these systems are driven by the manufacturers and their sales teams with stories of a super system which will give you all your solution to your health and safety issues.  Just remember the old saying "rubbish in rubbish out"

Before you say it I am not a ludite or a technophobe.  I just feel that we manage all aspects of health and safety with a more hands on approach.

thanks 1 user thanked Gerry Knowles for this useful post.
jwk  
#10 Posted : 13 February 2019 15:56:32(UTC)
jwk

Andy,

Datix (for example) doesn't work like that as far as the risk management side goes. It doesn't have tick boxes (well, not like the ones you seem to be thinking about), it has forms with as much free text as you would like, and a matrix for risk rating. It also has a sophisticated reportin engine. The advantage of doing it on the system is that it allows whoever is responsible for risk management to see every assessment, which when an employer has over 1,000 workplaces as mine does, is an advantage. It also will aggregate risks from similar assessments, which solves the perennial issue of risk information flow within an organisation.

Gerry, well, as you can see above, we have over 1,000 workplaces, paper just doesn't work in that sort of context. For one thing it can take weeks for paper to find its way from one site to another, and that can be just too long. It looks as though your context is different, and paper will work in a small number of locations, but not in a dispersed organisation like ours,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
firesafety101  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2019 16:54:07(UTC)
firesafety101

One way of looking at this is if you provide the software that asks the questions with Yes /No boxes and also boxes for comments you may not be getting good quality risk assessments.

On the other hand if you use qualified and competent personnel (who may be the person doing the job, not necessarily a hired consultant) you may get a better quality assessment.

Either could use software but even then the trained/competent assesser may get a better quality assessment.