Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stephen mclaren  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2019 14:47:56(UTC)
stephen mclaren

a company needs new portable LEV units to carry out welding and grinding , are the particles from grinding stainless classed as explosive/combustible?

jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2019 14:51:42(UTC)
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk

Hi 

That depends on the environment. How long it is used for and the capacity of the portable LEV unit to deal with the fumes/particles likely to be generated. You will need to assess the work activity closer. Check the manufacturer's data on the portable LEV unit and the associated filters to see if it can cope with your case scenario.

Hope this helps.

stevedm  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2019 15:25:43(UTC)
stevedm

Really depnds more on the make up of the stainless and the dust concentration - chromium dust Flammable, nickel dust flamable, molybdenum - not flammable, silicon dust flammable, aluminum dust - flammable, rre in Stainless. Iron mixed with carbon to produce steel is the main component of stainless steel dusts which are flammable. MIE, Pmax... Information all needed for your DSEAR assessment... :)
Alfasev  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2019 12:14:01(UTC)
Alfasev

Never heard of stainless steel dust being flammable. Stainless steel is an alloy and the constitute substances are fixed in place by the crystallite structure. Grinding will not break up the crystallite structure. As a material it is very stable so unless you are doing something unusual I cannot see how it is flammable.  When I looked at a data sheets there is no mention of an explosive risk.

However I hear to learn so please correct me if I am wrong.

hilary  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2019 13:00:04(UTC)
hilary

We do stainless steel grinding and I've never thought of it as being flammable either.  However, if you are getting an LEV, the manufacturer should ask what you're doing with it and as long as you tell them what it's for, a reputable organisation will give you what you need plus full instructions and training for use.

johnmurray  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2019 16:35:36(UTC)
johnmurray

Stainless alone is not flammable or explosive...

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/b270510.pdf