Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aaron L  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2019 12:10:06(UTC)
Aaron L

I have had a few issues with getting a practical temporary works design for heras fence which branding.  Very often the client stipulates the branding and generally the less you can see through the better for them which creates issues with the air permeability.

Hoarding is a preferred option I know but, on some sites, its impractical when the perimeter has to be moved a lot.  Issue with this is that any TWD stipulates the amount of weight to be put on each foot as astronomical and in some cases it cant be applied as there is not enough space or creates manual handling issues.  We have looked at tying off but again in the day time this is impractical.  What do others do?  I do not want the issue of not enough weight being applied and it falling over.

Thanks

Steve e ashton  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2019 09:48:12(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Why would any twd stipulate additional weight? If the standard panel fencing is erected as per manufacturers instructions, double clipped at every panel join and braced every three panels, then it will withstand the vast majority of UK weather conditions even in exposed upland areas. If you're increasing the wind loading by adding banner branding, then the bracing needs to be closer to maybe every panel... But simply adding weight will not stop a poorly clipped or inadequately braced fence from falling (or being pushed) over...
Aaron L  
#3 Posted : 27 February 2019 08:43:38(UTC)
Aaron L

Thanks Steve,

As I said in my first post, we don't have enough space behind the panels to put adequate bracing hence using more weights.  The bracing we have is currently on every panel however this has still caused issues.  I suppose it would go back to the planning stage of the works so that this can be risk assessed out but again I was just wondering what others had come across when in a situation like this.  Thanks though.

Steve e ashton  
#4 Posted : 01 March 2019 09:29:11(UTC)
Steve e ashton

Depends very much on ground conditions... But ground pins are available (like these... http://www.temporaryfenc...orary-fencing-ground-pin) but the only time I've seen them used the ground was soft and the pins offered very little pull out resistance, so didn't achieve much additional stability. Harder ground would make them an option but a designer may be reluctant to specify because the benefit is largely unquantifiable... Long ground spikes to which panels can be wired may offer a solution to stability but very little benefit against intruders armed with wire snips. Heras fencing may not be the right perimeter solution for your site.
thanks 1 user thanked Steve e ashton for this useful post.
Aaron L on 01/03/2019(UTC)
Sweep  
#5 Posted : 01 March 2019 12:48:41(UTC)
Sweep

Hi 

have had to deal with this issue previously - welcome to PM

kind regards

Sweep

Kevin....  
#6 Posted : 12 August 2022 07:08:36(UTC)
Kevin....

Hi, where in the manufacturers instructions does it state double clip and bracing every 3?

The instructions I have sourced are much like some sort of swedish furniture instructions. Basic diagrams, & no wording...?  Would be very keen to have a link to see this written. Cheers

Pirellipete  
#7 Posted : 12 August 2022 07:37:18(UTC)
Pirellipete

Water filled Red n Whites with the mesh panel extension

You' might have to reduce the height of the branding, but the client will have to decide... compliance or branding

Just IMO,  others are available  :)