Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mhuirem  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2019 13:46:27(UTC)
Mhuirem

I seem to be hitting a brick wall and wanted to find out if it is legally acceptable to make alterations to a building plan?  I look after 26 care homes and i am coming across the building plans in the homes which have been altered on the plans when something has changed.  This has not been done professionally but by whoever has decided to do it.  Is this legally acceptable?

SNS  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2019 23:29:52(UTC)
SNS

Looks like what you are saying is that the buildings have had alterations and the plans have not formally been kept 'as built'. Sadly a very common occurrence. Also quite common for plans to be locally updated with building changes.

If the plan represents what is there it doesn't really matter who made the changes. If it's representative it should be acceptable, if its not and it materially affects evacuation or safe routes it might be covered under the RR(FS)O, if you haven't seen it find 'HMG Fire Safety in Residential Care' available at https://www.gov.uk/gover...care-premises which is the 'users' simplified guide to assessing and checking fire safety - other titles cover other areas.  

thanks 1 user thanked SNS for this useful post.
Mhuirem on 20/02/2019(UTC)
Mhuirem  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2019 11:20:47(UTC)
Mhuirem

Many thanks for the response.  I guess this is a grey area.  The changes people have made on the plans itself do not as such impact on the evacuation of the building however I am a bit nervous when staff alter the original plans.  Our facilities department were not happy when I reccommended them requesting updated plans to reflect the changes due to cost.  So I guess it's okay as long as it does not impact on the safety and evacuation procedures in place.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2019 15:04:59(UTC)
Kate

I'd be more happy that they had been updated to reflect the alterations than unhappy that it hadn't been done professionally!

Sometimes building plans bear little relation to the altered building, and what use is that to anyone?