Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dhally  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2019 07:46:18(UTC)
dhally

I have asked the company in which I work if I can participate in a MHFA course to which I have been told no.Apparently its for insurance purposes as to why I can do this.I do not beilieve this company in the slightest.Im TechIOSH and currently studying my Diploma.How can I prove this ridiculous answer from the company is utter nonsence?

Thankyou

PS.....any jobs going anywhere?    :(

Elfin Davy 09  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2019 09:09:41(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Unfortunately, a company can refuse to allow anyone to undertake a course that they consider isn't necessary or of benefit to the business, and that's their perogative.  However, it's when they start trying to justify it by spurious means that it rankles a bit.  Did you ask them what the insurance angle actually is ?  I'd be interested to find out why insurers are against this.

Clark34486  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2019 09:39:26(UTC)
Clark34486

Your (a) employer is entitled to refuse any training they wish. Their excuse my be somewhat disengenuous but such-is-life.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2019 09:42:29(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Another acronym- MHFA – mental health First aid-apparently this is what the poster is referring to too. I thought that the ‘F’ might be to do with fire.( see ‘F’ in fire joke)   

It might be an idea to move this post on the member to member forum -2Acronyms, TLAs, FLAs “ to the main public site as it addresses this issue.

Managers can and do refuse training and the like for all sorts of reasons- usually it boils down to the fact that they don’t have the authority and the the status to command the budget they would like. Rather than admit that they are a small cog in big machine they come up with spurious excuses.

Anyway that’s what I do!

DaveBridle  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2019 12:42:36(UTC)
DaveBridle

Agree with the above, however you may wish to pitch your request based on the moral compenent.  I have recently attended a course on trauma risk management and during discussions between ourselves it was mentioned that there is consideration being given to amending the First Aid regs.  It's not the first time i've heard this mentioned recently.

There is thought that the First Aid at Work regulations should now place a duty on employers to no only assess their first aid requirements on the physical but also the psychological elements.

Mental health first aid (MHFA) and the recent, good work, on mental health awareness should not come across barriers like this, when employees should feel supported in their workplace.

Although as a note of caution - you may want to have a read of this IOSH research paper on the subject - 

https://www.iosh.co.uk/News/Research-exposes-significant-issues-with-workplace-Mental-Health-First-Aid-implementation.aspx

Also you may want to have a read of this article on the MHFA England website:

https://mhfaengland.org/mhfa-centre/news/hse-guidance-mhfa/

Edited by user 22 February 2019 12:47:28(UTC)  | Reason: Included additional link to article from MHFA England