Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sibob  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2019 16:27:23(UTC)
sibob

Just a simple question,  Do members think the HSE should be involved with the incident at sundays championship game and if so who should they be looking at?

WatsonD  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2019 09:43:32(UTC)
WatsonD

From what I can see initially this is a Police inquiry. However, the FA would also be looking into the clubs resources and controls. Both are regulated by the HSE, so possibly they would be monitoring intitially, especially given the high profiile of the incident.

HSSnail  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2019 11:27:59(UTC)
HSSnail

Football Clubs fall to LA's not HSE dont they?

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2019 11:46:03(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Violence and Aggression at work falls within the HSE remit so in theory they could be involved but what their limited resources and that fact that this matter is being investigated by the FA and the Police I don’t see what they could contribute to the process.

stevedm  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2019 15:58:49(UTC)
stevedm

When the whisle blows to start the game the refree is in charge so 'at work' and FA investigation or perhaps HSE as you suggest...until he sounds the final/ half time whistle (we did this recently with an incident scenario involving a live FA match legally it is only the ref that can stop the game)...outside of that it is the police.

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2019 16:47:44(UTC)
A Kurdziel

So if a player in a rugby match pulled someone’s head off during a game (this could happen in a rugby league game) this would not be a case for the police just the League Disciplinary Panel and possibly the HSE?  I don’t think so. The police simply choose not to get involved in such case unless it is particularly egregious. Sportsmen have been prosecuted for assaults committed while playing a game.

Connor35037  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2019 17:05:46(UTC)
Connor35037

Footballers have been convicted in Scotland for on-field incidents.

In 1987 Terry Butcher, Chris Woods and Graham Roberts (Rangers) and Frank McAvennie (Celtic) were charged with breach of the peace after clashing during an Old Firm game. Butcher and Woods were found guilty and fined.

Rangers striker Duncan Ferguson got 3 months in jail in 1994 for head-butting a Raith Rovers player.

The only one I can think of in England was Eric Cantona's "Kung Fu Kick" when he got done for assault.

thanks 1 user thanked Connor35037 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 18/03/2019(UTC)
stevedm  
#8 Posted : 18 March 2019 11:22:01(UTC)
stevedm

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

So if a player in a rugby match pulled someone’s head off during a game (this could happen in a rugby league game) this would not be a case for the police just the League Disciplinary Panel and possibly the HSE?  I don’t think so. The police simply choose not to get involved in such case unless it is particularly egregious. Sportsmen have been prosecuted for assaults committed while playing a game.

Really THAT was your take away?...read the post properly then come up with a sensible reply...of course they wouldn't leave it to the ref..however he is in charge of the game until the whistle goes...
A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 18 March 2019 11:50:51(UTC)
A Kurdziel

It was a joke…

But anyway the point I was trying to get a cross is that the law still applies in the pitch and that the HSE, since a football pitch is workplace, could intervene but they choose not to.  Similarly the police have duty to uphold the law and in theory if a police officer saw a crime being committed on the pitch during a game he would be within his or her legal right to stop the game and arrest the suspect. The referee has no special legal status, it is just that the police on the whole choose not to get involved in these cases.

Zyggy  
#10 Posted : 18 March 2019 18:02:28(UTC)
Zyggy

Just for clarification, football & sports stadia are enforced by the Local Authority as per the Appendix to the Health & Safety (Enforcing Authority) Regulations 1998, unless the grounds are owned by the LA, in which case the HSE would be the enforcers. Excessive violence on the field of play could (& has) be deemed as a criminal offence & therefore could become a police matter. At major football grounds the Gold Commander from the police has the ultimate decision on crowd safety issues, both inside & outside the ground in consultation with the stadium's Safety personnel. The referee only has control of the laws of the game & not the laws of the land & would have to comply with any decisions made by the police. In this particular case, the LA would be asking questions as to how the perpetrator managed to get onto the field & may ask for additional measures to be taken in accordance with its licencing responsibilities.
thanks 1 user thanked Zyggy for this useful post.
HSSnail on 19/03/2019(UTC)
HSSnail  
#11 Posted : 19 March 2019 09:09:34(UTC)
HSSnail

Thank you Ziggy - i was beginning to think i had lost the plot (see me post at 3 above!) They used to publish numbers of how many workers were in HSE sectors and LA sectors - but I think it started to get embarrassing for the HSE as their numbers fell and the HSE sector rose