Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk  
#1 Posted : 13 March 2019 08:22:36(UTC)
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk

This came to my attention earlier today. Most companies especially manufacturing ones are stockpiling for Brexit which increases the potential for fire due to the larger amount of raw materials stored on site.

Check your fire safety risk assessment, insurance company, local authority and your company's opinion before allowing this to carry on without revising your fire risk assessment.

Insurance company may void your claim in event of a fire outbreak if you overload the premises with materials.

If you share your premises, then work with your co-tenants to ensure all of you are aware of the increased risks posed by the stockpiling and address the issue. 

Review your strategies. Collaborate and share your emergency plan. Have it written and then notify all interested parties.

Any additional comments most welcome.

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 13 March 2019 08:45:23(UTC)
George_Young

Interesting, I never realised that companies were stockpiling, even more so on the manufacturing side.

The company I work for (distribution and manufacturing) have not increased stocks or seen any evidence our customers are doing the same.

chas  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2019 09:00:20(UTC)
chas

I've not noticed any of our establishments stockpiling either. In my view, Brexit or no Brexit, trade will still happen and the shelves in shops and warehouses will remain stocked. However I did see one report from a supermarket that the sales of loo rolls and painkillers are up due to the public stocking up!   

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 13 March 2019 11:54:14(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Is the issue that companies might start to stockpile but based on the current just in time approach they only have limited storage on site? They may be tempted to pile up supplies in inappropriate places which of course can create additional risks including fire, chemical and simply making movement about the site more difficult because of the additional stock. The relevant risk assessments will need to be reviewed etc.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 13 March 2019 21:27:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is this some consultants check list? Plenty of parasites circling at the moment trying to talk this situation up to the level of Y2K to leverage their pound of flesh to deliver absolutely nothing other than a talking shop and wasted administration all round asking the unfathomable to the unknowing.

Be realistic - as mentioned most supply chains are short or Just In Time - it is TOO late to stock pile for an unknown circumstance (shipping from China is six to eight weeks), manufacturers process orders NOT speculation and no one with shareholders ties up money in stock and warehousing without knowing the customer has comitted to buy.

Granted people are increasingly (after the 11th hour) asking the supply chain but it is too late - the horse is in the lasagne and it is already in the freezer at your local shop. I can't process more lasagnes than the line makes and Pierre is unsure if he can deliver the ingredients because no one knows what will happen at the border(s).

Can you have a 12 month lasagne price today? Not a chance - no idea of where tarrifs, exchange rates, labour costs etc. are going to end up. The "deal" on future trading arrangements is yet to be negotiated so far parliament has rejected the divorce settlement.

In the absence of fact myth perpetuates

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2019 21:27:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

Is this some consultants check list? Plenty of parasites circling at the moment trying to talk this situation up to the level of Y2K to leverage their pound of flesh to deliver absolutely nothing other than a talking shop and wasted administration all round asking the unfathomable to the unknowing.

Be realistic - as mentioned most supply chains are short or Just In Time - it is TOO late to stock pile for an unknown circumstance (shipping from China is six to eight weeks), manufacturers process orders NOT speculation and no one with shareholders ties up money in stock and warehousing without knowing the customer has comitted to buy.

Granted people are increasingly (after the 11th hour) asking the supply chain but it is too late - the horse is in the lasagne and it is already in the freezer at your local shop. I can't process more lasagnes than the line makes and Pierre is unsure if he can deliver the ingredients because no one knows what will happen at the border(s).

Can you have a 12 month lasagne price today? Not a chance - no idea of where tarrifs, exchange rates, labour costs etc. are going to end up. The "deal" on future trading arrangements is yet to be negotiated so far parliament has rejected the divorce settlement.

In the absence of fact myth perpetuates

jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2019 21:41:19(UTC)
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks Rounduit for your comment. If you follow the trends better, maybe you’ll notice it’s not some parasitic ramblings. I heard of businesses stockpiling unless you’re not in the UK maybe just ramble without much awareness of what else is going on? Replay this morning news and hear what manufacturers are saying. I did mentioned additional comments welcomed but not sarcasm. I may be obliged!
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 13 March 2019 23:20:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

Having been on the planet for many years I have seen the text you provided described as "Controlling Business Risk", "Contingency Planning", "Business Continuity" each a re-hash of the same basic principles supported by the new providers invoice.

Typically these come in cycles triggered by actual events e.g. the "Beast from the East" or theoretical possibilities such as Y2K - which is currently getting it's own reboot  https://www.techspot.com/news/79100-gps-devices-could-stop-working-next-month.html

Stock piling stories are placed for a purpose e.g. Morrisson's supermarket saying they are, but not what (How to drive sales 101 - create a demand).

Businesses enacting true continuity measures avoid creating abnormal market demand that would outstrip the measured capability to supply.

I work for a major UK based manufacturing plc and have seen large financial organisations selling their wares on this subject, not in line with best business practice at the triggering of Article 50 when such planning should have started but as an opportunistic knee jerk reaction since the end of last year.

As a business we considered stock piling essential at risk raw materials but realised that this dead money and its impact upon cash flow would not be supported by share holders nor would any indeterminate investment in additional "just in case" storage capacity given our sites operate at maximum capacity.

I have a desk avalanche and full email inbox of questionnaires from suppliers and customers to deal with which unsuprisingly seem to follow common themes (I can even spot who is behind particular customers/suppliers by the manner in which the communication is framed).

Just like Y2K we don't / won't know until the porverbial hits the fan i.e. what are our future trading arrangements with Europe and the Rest of the World - until then I will spend my time now (as I did then) pushing the paper that has made money for others.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2019 23:20:49(UTC)
Roundtuit

Having been on the planet for many years I have seen the text you provided described as "Controlling Business Risk", "Contingency Planning", "Business Continuity" each a re-hash of the same basic principles supported by the new providers invoice.

Typically these come in cycles triggered by actual events e.g. the "Beast from the East" or theoretical possibilities such as Y2K - which is currently getting it's own reboot  https://www.techspot.com/news/79100-gps-devices-could-stop-working-next-month.html

Stock piling stories are placed for a purpose e.g. Morrisson's supermarket saying they are, but not what (How to drive sales 101 - create a demand).

Businesses enacting true continuity measures avoid creating abnormal market demand that would outstrip the measured capability to supply.

I work for a major UK based manufacturing plc and have seen large financial organisations selling their wares on this subject, not in line with best business practice at the triggering of Article 50 when such planning should have started but as an opportunistic knee jerk reaction since the end of last year.

As a business we considered stock piling essential at risk raw materials but realised that this dead money and its impact upon cash flow would not be supported by share holders nor would any indeterminate investment in additional "just in case" storage capacity given our sites operate at maximum capacity.

I have a desk avalanche and full email inbox of questionnaires from suppliers and customers to deal with which unsuprisingly seem to follow common themes (I can even spot who is behind particular customers/suppliers by the manner in which the communication is framed).

Just like Y2K we don't / won't know until the porverbial hits the fan i.e. what are our future trading arrangements with Europe and the Rest of the World - until then I will spend my time now (as I did then) pushing the paper that has made money for others.

ttxela  
#10 Posted : 14 March 2019 08:54:34(UTC)
ttxela

Our stuff is made in Canada imported to France and then distributed from there around Europe, as a precaution we are opening a small distribution centre in the UK so material can be shiped here from Canada and sold in the UK without passing through Europe. Whether this is necessary or proportionate I cannot say.

So whilst this is not exactly stockpiling it does mean that Brexit has/will cause us to have more material on site in the UK.

Our insurers seem OK with it....