Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Monopoly  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2019 15:48:36(UTC)
Monopoly

I am looking to replace the p3 disposable face masks our construction workers use (protection from silica dust). They're cheap and as the old saying goes you get what you pay for. 

I plan on buying a sample of different masks and testing them with the crews. Can anyone recommend  a mask or masks they have tried and tested? (Face fit testing will also be undertaken)

I'm also considering looking at silicone half masks such as the ones sundstrom and 3m  sell. Has anyone has had any experience of these?

Thanks

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2019 16:04:05(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I can’t recommend a brand or model because I don’t think there is single brand or model that is suitable for all users. What face-fit testing demonstrates is that no two people’s faces are alike and it is important to have a range of sizes and types of face mask available. The procurement department likes standardisation but in my experience you can’t legislate for this; you need a range of options.

Elfin Davy 09  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2019 08:41:57(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Monopoly

Whilst I agree with your thoughts in principle, I would suggest not diving straight into this as it might prove to be a costly mistake.  As you say, the disposable masks are "cheap and cheerful", but if your crews actually wear them, they're likely to do the job they're intended to do.  I personally would stick to these (although by all means try out some different brands to see if you can get better).

However, when it comes to half masks, I have several reservations.  They don't look "cool", you'll get complaints about them causing sweat rashes, they don't "sit right" when not being worn and - for construction workers - they're unlikely to be stored/cleaned/maintained as they should be. Chances are therefore, they won't be worn. 

Maybe I'm wrong (and you obviously know your people better than I do), but I think you'd be better off staying with the disposables...

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2019 10:37:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Would I be prepared to...?

Similar concerns were raised regarding chasers (used to remove mortar between brick work) by a consultant recommending half masks during their site visit even though the tool was hooked up to a vacuum and operators had disposables.

After a days trial with a half mask in the middle of summer on the tools I concluded I would not be prepared to, so it was no surprise no one accepted our offer to replace their disposables.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Elfin Davy 09 on 01/04/2019(UTC), Dave5705 on 03/04/2019(UTC), Elfin Davy 09 on 01/04/2019(UTC), Dave5705 on 03/04/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2019 10:37:56(UTC)
Roundtuit

Would I be prepared to...?

Similar concerns were raised regarding chasers (used to remove mortar between brick work) by a consultant recommending half masks during their site visit even though the tool was hooked up to a vacuum and operators had disposables.

After a days trial with a half mask in the middle of summer on the tools I concluded I would not be prepared to, so it was no surprise no one accepted our offer to replace their disposables.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Elfin Davy 09 on 01/04/2019(UTC), Dave5705 on 03/04/2019(UTC), Elfin Davy 09 on 01/04/2019(UTC), Dave5705 on 03/04/2019(UTC)
badacid  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2019 12:47:43(UTC)
badacid

We use the Alpha Solway AMF 3CV (https://www.alphasolway.com/assets/files/datasheets/respiratory/Alpha-Data-AMF3CV-0917_UK.PDF) which are excellent. 

Also we have the Deltaplus M1304VW as a second option.

Both companies provided samples for us to try - just drop them a line and they will sort you out. 

CptBeaky  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2019 13:25:19(UTC)
CptBeaky

I just asked a sales rep from our safetywear supplier to give us some samples. I then tested them on our guys and got feedback as to which they prefered. This means they are far more invested the masks and are much more likely to wear them, afterall they selected them.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Dave5705 on 02/04/2019(UTC)
sibob  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2019 13:59:25(UTC)
sibob

HSG 53 Respiratory protective Equipment at work states that

65 For example, it is recommended that continuous wear time for tight-fitting (unpowered) RPE is less than an hour, after which the wearer should take a break. Otherwise, the RPE can become uncomfortable to wear, leading to loosening or removal of the mask in the work area. In these situations, where RPE is required to be worn continuously for long periods, powered respirators or airline BA, for example a loose-fitting face piece such as a hood or helmet, are better options. 

A disposable p3 mask will cost anywhere between £3-£5 and are single use only therefore its quite reasonable for a member of staff to go through a box a week (dependent on work)

A reusable half mask will cost anywhere between £25-£40

In my experience of facefit testing and carrying out training   People tend to prefer the half masks.  As far as facefits go they fit better, they also give the guys much more confidence when being used

thanks 1 user thanked sibob for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 03/04/2019(UTC)
toe  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2019 19:35:37(UTC)
toe

Originally Posted by: Elfin Davy 09 Go to Quoted Post

Monopoly

Why is there only one Monopolies commission?

MaxPayne  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2019 08:12:06(UTC)
MaxPayne

No affiliation to any manufactuerer or supplier, but we use the Sundstrom SR100 which comes in different sizes.  It's super comfrtable, easy to use and clean, has a single cartrige fiter which are also intercopatible, i.e. you may use two types together to achieve protection against multiple hazards.  We've never had a failed fit test with this either qualitative or quantitative.

Advice - pay extra and get the propoer storage box and cleaning wipes.

thanks 1 user thanked MaxPayne for this useful post.
billstrak on 06/04/2019(UTC)
Monopoly  
#11 Posted : 15 April 2019 15:26:54(UTC)
Monopoly

Thanks everyone , some really useful advice. 

I can see the benefits and disdavantages of using both disposable and reusable silicone half masks - and which one to go for very much depends upon the situation and environment in which  they are needed. 

One of my concerns with the silicone masks is ensuring operatives follow the maintenance regime that comes with using them. 

One option I'm looking at is is using a disposable mask such as the Alpha Solway that is reusable for 10 hours which can be spread over a number of days (as long as the mask is kept reasonably clean)

​​​​​​​