Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ant C  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2019 11:21:59(UTC)
Ant C

We have just started to allow employees to work from home due to our new "Flexible Working Policy". All of the DSE and Home Working assessments are in place and the employees will be doing Office Work only.

One issue that has come up is Pregnant Workers, working from home alone. They are Vulnerable Persons due to the increased chances of collapse and our normal policy is to ensure they don’t work alone. However, this is being challenged as a Draconian Health and Safety Rule and even Trade Union reps are supporting the challenge.

When risk assessing the situation it’s really difficult to demonstrate, because it can be avoided, the risks are as low as Reasonably Practicable (ALRP) and as you all know this is a real legal test if anything goes wrong.

The Risk management has looked at all the technology and current systems available and the don’t management risk ALARP.

So the question is: - Is this a Draconian Health and Safety Rule or Not.    

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2019 12:10:05(UTC)
Hsquared14

I wouldn't say Draconian as much as ridiculous!!  Of course you don't have to make sure that there is someone with a pregnant worker at all times.  If she drove to work would you insist someone came in with her?  When she goes on maternity leave (technically still working for you) would you insist that someone stayed at home all day with her?  Where do people get these crazy notions from in the first place!

thanks 2 users thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
webstar on 04/04/2019(UTC), jwk on 04/04/2019(UTC)
watcher  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2019 14:31:43(UTC)
watcher

I'm not sure draconian is the word I would use, I would go much stronger.

Increased chances of collapse, you say?

I genuinely had to check to see when this post was written, as it seems like an april fool.

Let them work at home.  They're not ill, they're pregnant.

thanks 3 users thanked watcher for this useful post.
webstar on 04/04/2019(UTC), jwk on 04/04/2019(UTC), nic168 on 06/09/2019(UTC)
biker1  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2019 16:02:30(UTC)
biker1

An interesting question, actually. On the one hand, pregnancy risks would be taken as part of the normal day to day risks people face, and therefore not an employer's concern if they are in their home environment. On the other hand, they are 'at work' and so the employer should have some responsibility.

I do think, however, that the notion that she should have someone with her all the time is somewhat ridiculous, as well as being unworkable, and who would be this other person anyway? A nurse, paramedic? Time for a reality check.

Dave5705  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2019 20:23:56(UTC)
Dave5705

They are Vulnerable Persons due to the increased chances of collapse and our normal policy is to ensure they don’t work alone. Really?

However, this is being challenged as a Draconian Health and Safety Rule and even Trade Union reps are supporting the challenge. I'm not surprised!

I can't say I've ever seen either of these on a pregnant workers' RA.

Is this a Draconian Health and Safety Rule or Not. Yes, I think it might be. Please don't take this as a lack of empathy, but if the worry is so acute, then medical advice needs to be sought.

Clark34486  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2019 06:47:14(UTC)
Clark34486

This is exactly why H&S has such a bad name, even today

Is she at home filling 1 tonne cement dumpy bags?

thanks 4 users thanked Clark34486 for this useful post.
webstar on 04/04/2019(UTC), DHeptinstall on 04/04/2019(UTC), Dave5705 on 04/04/2019(UTC), jwk on 04/04/2019(UTC)
HSSnail  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2019 07:17:45(UTC)
HSSnail

clearly if you are unable to enact your controls you must find your pregnant workers different tasks or send them home on full pay - hang on i think i may have spotted a problem!

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
jwk on 04/04/2019(UTC)
MrBrightside  
#8 Posted : 04 April 2019 09:21:01(UTC)
MrBrightside

How would you manage if anyone working from home collapsed / slipped over / cut off their finger while making lunch (ok maybe not but you get my point).

Someone who is pregnant is not ill and that's the key thing to remember.

chris.packham  
#9 Posted : 04 April 2019 09:59:10(UTC)
chris.packham

Surely we only monitor someone with a health issue if there is a possibility that their health might be affected by their work. As has been stated, pregnancy is not a health problem. It is only if a risk assessment shows that their work might affect their health due to their pregnancy that you would need to monitor. Since it is highly unlikely the work they are doing at home will affect their health why would you need to monitor?

Dave5705  
#10 Posted : 04 April 2019 10:07:49(UTC)
Dave5705

I know, as they may have to drive from their home to, well, anywhere really, why not purchase and install portaloos on every second junction on route, or buy land and build a network of toilets across the country... oh no sorry, wrong thread..

Edited by user 04 April 2019 10:08:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WatsonD  
#11 Posted : 04 April 2019 11:10:07(UTC)
WatsonD

The rules were put there to protect pregnant women who may be exposed to heavy lifting, chemical inhalation, extreme heat or cold, long hours on their feet, etc. not from themselves at home sitting at a desk.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
SJP on 10/04/2019(UTC)