Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mels  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2019 15:27:51(UTC)
Mels

Time and again I keep coming across the argument for/against the use of robust nitrile disposable gloves  providing a barrier to cutting fluids when operating rotating machinery such as a mill.

I would like to understand others opinions please and their interpretation.

Thanks

westonphil  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2019 16:35:07(UTC)
westonphil

Interested to know what your opinion and interpretation is Mels.

Regards

chris.packham  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2019 17:05:29(UTC)
chris.packham

Firstly, gloves should only be worn when all other means of managing exposure have been investigated and where practicable implemented. Secondly, all occlusive gloves present a hazard to the skin, regardless of the material they are manufactured from. The occlusion, particularly with relatively tight fitting single-use gloves, results in changes in the skin that can have an adverse effect on the skin’s own barrier properties. This is particularly the case where gloves are worn for long periods. The result can be that there is an increased potential for both irritant and allergic contact dermatitis. We need to balance the hazard against which the gloves are being worn with the hazard that the wearing of the gloves presents.

The evidence about the wearing of the thin, single-use nitrile gloves with rotating machinery is certainly inconclusive and I would myself not recommend it. I would concentrate instead of finding ways of working that minimises the exposure and optimises the skin care aspects of the task.

If you need more PM me.

thanks 2 users thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 09/04/2019(UTC), Mels on 09/04/2019(UTC)
Mels  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2019 09:04:35(UTC)
Mels

Thanks Chris

My ears are getting bashed by our team who operate this equipment as they wish to wear nitrile disposable gloves,  my opionion is no gloves at all whilst operating the machinery.

Deburr and Clamp securely the work, remove the gloves and operate the equipment, thus reducing the need to handle. Barrier cream also to hand.

However I can see the argument for wearing the gloves also if they have a lot of work to carry out.

Edited by user 09 April 2019 09:08:22(UTC)  | Reason: typo

CptBeaky  
#5 Posted : 09 April 2019 09:07:20(UTC)
CptBeaky

Depending on the machine I would never advise wearing any sort of gloves. They significantly increase the risks of getting entangled and drawn into the machine, taking the operators hand with them! With a rotating mill this can be extremely dangerous, of course very dependant on the guarding and operation of said machine.

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Mels on 09/04/2019(UTC), toe on 10/04/2019(UTC)
chris.packham  
#6 Posted : 09 April 2019 09:43:48(UTC)
chris.packham

Re barrier creams if you consult the HSE website you will find:

Health  and  Safety Executive

Guidance - Topics - Skin at work

Frequently asked questions

Question: Can’t I just use a barrier cream?

Answer: No. There are no true ‘barrier’ creams; chemicals will always work their way through to the skin. However, moisturising creams used regularly will help keep skin hydrated and supple, preventing dermatitis

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
Mels on 15/04/2019(UTC)
Dave5705  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2019 10:04:02(UTC)
Dave5705

Originally Posted by: Mels Go to Quoted Post
Deburr and Clamp securely the work, remove the gloves and operate the equipment, thus reducing the need to handle

That seems eminently sensible to me. What is in their consideration that is giving them a reason to not want to remove the gloves?

thanks 1 user thanked Dave5705 for this useful post.
Mels on 15/04/2019(UTC)