Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ballyclover  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2019 19:58:48(UTC)
ballyclover

Hi all. I know very little regarding scaffold. Onsite today with an insurance auditor who has claimed that according to the working at height reg scaffold must be inspected for safety once constructed and every 7 days at least there after. It says this should be done by a competent person. The auditor insists the law requires the scaffolding company to perform the additional checks after the initial 1st safety check and sign off. I can find no evidence that states the scaffold company is responsible for continued checks. The scaffold company are saying they are not required to do so its up to us to provide a competent person. They are happy to act as this for additional charge. Any advice please
nickpatience1  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2019 21:59:53(UTC)
nickpatience1

Sounds pretty much like the auditor knows what is needed.

If this is scaffold is used for construction work and more than 2metres then the legal references you need to look at are - Work at Height Regulations 2005 - Regulation 12 and Schedule 7.

The duties in short  include:

1. The employer must ensure that the scaffold is not  used unless inspected within the previous 7 days.

2. The person who does the inspection must make a report and give it to the person on whose behalf the inspection was carried out.

3. A copy of the report should be kept on site

4. A competent person should carry out the inspection.

Further information is at the HSE website http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/safetytopics/scaffoldinginfo.htm

and at

http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/faq-height.htm#scaffolding

thanks 1 user thanked nickpatience1 for this useful post.
ballyclover on 10/04/2019(UTC)
ballyclover  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2019 07:34:57(UTC)
ballyclover

Hi and thank you.

What it says is a competent person should carry out the inspections, which does not nesseccary mean that this must be the scaffolding company or that they are responsible for inspection after initial safety sign off. Would that be correct

The  scaffold compamy say they can provide this service at an additional cost.

Centurion  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2019 08:23:05(UTC)
Centurion

I found by experience that with regards to substantial scaffolding that it is better to have it inspected regularly by the erecting company.

They put it up so they know the full contents and associated methodology.

Yes they do charge extra for it but it is worthwhile as,in my mind, you have better evidence of compliance.

In between their inspections your site competent management team would carryout daily visual inspections before using it and throughout the working shift.

Cheers

Andy

thanks 1 user thanked Centurion for this useful post.
ballyclover on 10/04/2019(UTC)
Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2019 11:58:05(UTC)
Hsquared14

Originally Posted by: nickpatience1 Go to Quoted Post

If this is scaffold is used for construction work and more than 2metres then the legal references you need to look at are - Work at Height Regulations 2005 - Regulation 12 and Schedule 7.

1. The employer must ensure that the scaffold is not  used unless inspected within the previous 7 days.

2. The person who does the inspection must make a report and give it to the person on whose behalf the inspection was carried out.

Further information is at the HSE website http://www.hse.gov.uk/construction/safetytopics/scaffoldinginfo.htm

and at

I would say that the auditor has it absolutely spot on - the above is what I learnt on my course.
ballyclover  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2019 13:44:53(UTC)
ballyclover

Originally Posted by: Hsquared14 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: nickpatience1 Go to Quoted Post

and at

I would say that the auditor has it absolutely spot on - the above is what I learnt on my course.

I agree, but as i beleive this doesnt shift the requirement to the scaffold installers. A competent person could be someone who works for the company that has sat the apprpraite course and is qualifed to do so. I think all i wanted to prove was that it is not the scaffolding companies responsibility after the initial sign off.

achrn  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2019 07:49:53(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: ballyclover Go to Quoted Post

I agree, but as i beleive this doesnt shift the requirement to the scaffold installers. A competent person could be someone who works for the company that has sat the apprpraite course and is qualifed to do so. I think all i wanted to prove was that it is not the scaffolding companies responsibility after the initial sign off.

It does not need to be the installer / supplier.  It can be any competent person.

A contractor might not have enough of the appropriately skilled operatives to erect the scaffold, but does have a person on site who can do the inspection once a week, so in that case the contractor could appoint a company to put it up, and then inspect it themselves, for example.

It is not automatically the responsibility of the scaffolding company.  They generally will do it, but generally at extra cost over the supply & erect fee.

Edited by user 11 April 2019 07:50:43(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

Waz  
#8 Posted : 11 April 2019 14:12:59(UTC)
Waz

Good Practice in terms of inspection means: 

• After assembly and before first use – you should receive a handover certificate;
  • Exposed to conditions causing deterioration;
  • Ensure conditions are maintained;
  • Remedied in good time;
  • Use for Construction; and where;
  • A person could fall 2m or more;
  • Not used unless it has been inspected within 7 days;
  • Evidence of inspection.

Any inspection report should be provided before the end of the working period; issued within 24hrs; available on site until construction work is completed and retained at an office for 3 months.

A scaffold inspection is to now identify hazards and risks to to the health and safety of personnel.  Your inspection reprot should state:

• Name & Address of the person for whom the inspection was carried out;
  • Location of the work equipment inspected;
  • Description of the work equipment inspected;
  • Date & Time of inspection;
  • Details of any matter identified that could give rise to a risk to the health and safety of any person;
  • Details of any action taken as a result of the above;
  • Details of any further action considered necessary;
  • Name & Position of person making report (this doesn't mean the scaffold company, but does mean a competent person - usually a CISRS trained persone).

Hope this helps.

Waz