Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DarylJP  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2019 14:23:59(UTC)
DarylJP

Hi,

As part of our risk assessment we have mandatory safety eyewear requirement in our working areas. We have had a large number of minor eye injuries in the past, prior to my starting. Since mandating the wearing of eyewear we have had a reduction in eye related injuries and reduced visits to the local eye unit, which makes me and them happier!

However we have one employee who seems unable/unwilling to wear safey eyewear when in workshop areas due to a undiagnosed skin complaint around the eye area which he believes is aggravated on any contact with the frames, bridge etc. He wears a visor when welding or grinding, but at all other times does not wear 'specs', he does not (and I can undertstand it, as it would be overkill) want to wear a visor all of the time, when walking around.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer a possible solution. 

So far we have tried a couple of different frame styles and manufacturers, I have also had some input from our occupational health advisor (not helped), provided barrier creams, and suggested they speak to their GP and seek a Dermatological referral, if nothing more than to help reduce their daily skin irritation when it flares up.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can offer a possible solution. 

Thanks

chris.packham  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2019 15:08:15(UTC)
chris.packham

Would need more details about the skin issue (photos?) before being able to comment.

Blackburn31728  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2019 09:16:43(UTC)
Blackburn31728

If you have a madatory eye wear on site then he MUST wear the visor at all time if he cannot wear the eye protection given. Therwise others may not wear the eye protection when walking around also as no different to him. As statem perious he needs dematloigist to helo him 

stevedm  
#4 Posted : 10 April 2019 09:53:00(UTC)
stevedm

Does this guy have is formally diagnosed?  Hypoallergenic frames are available..

https://www.aop.org.uk/ot/industry/eyewear-and-lenses/2018/04/23/hypoallergenic-frames

CptBeaky  
#5 Posted : 10 April 2019 09:56:00(UTC)
CptBeaky

If your risk assessment show that eye protection is needed in an area there can be no exceptions for religion, health or any other reason (turban wearing Sikh's withstanding). If your employee cannot/will not wear specs/goggles then they must wear the face shield at all times. I am willing to bet that if you put this to them they will be much more willing to have the skin looked at.

Case in point, would you allow an employee to not wear safety shoes because their feet were sore? No! you would seek more suitable footwear, and failing that, following a doctor's report you would have to consider whether that employee should be moved to other duties/areas if possible and if not.....

Hsquared14  
#6 Posted : 10 April 2019 10:02:20(UTC)
Hsquared14

I have seen something similar with use of goggles rather than spectacle type eye protection and the cause turned out to be sweat which caused maceration of the skin.   I'm sorry I can't remember what we did about it as it was 40 years ago but as it was the paint industry I suspect we went for the faceshield option.

stevedm  
#7 Posted : 10 April 2019 10:04:05(UTC)
stevedm

sorry should have read the question...unless he has a formally diagnosed condition then he needs to comply...the condition is very rare...

hilary  
#8 Posted : 10 April 2019 11:36:35(UTC)
hilary

I suffer from a skin allergy from metal spectacle frames in hot weather.  My prescription safety glasses are plastic from the opticians and my personal glasses are titanium which is nickel free. 

I cannot see anyone having an allergic reaction to lightweight plastic glasses and metal framed glasses so I believe that you should definitely give him the option of visor or either plastic or metal frames. and let him make the decision but stress that not wearing is not an option.

Bigmac1  
#9 Posted : 10 April 2019 11:44:11(UTC)
Bigmac1

I think the answer is with him not being diagnosed. He needs to get a diagnosis then you can do something about it. Otherwise your just XXXXXXX in the wind.